Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

I try looking looking at the west with Thai eyes.

I see massive turmoil, lies, corruption, fraud, debt,

poverty in rich 'civilized' countries.. Civilized?

I see immigration policies allowing all sorts in to

receive benefits.  Properties/ businesses sold

to foreign nationals, with subsequent price/ tax rises.

The Thais must think the west is a bit Ting Tong

as they take good care of their nations borders.

The UK should have done the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Europe is very attractive and interesting and depending where you live can be very cheap. For long term retirement and young people wanting fun the is the Triple states of The Gambia, Senegal and Guinea Bissau.  As yet relatively undiscovered,  people not ruined by mass tourism, excellent beaches and exotic culture, some of the best music in the world and genuine world travellers with talents and stories to tell. The Balkans are just opening up. Britain and the UK have cheap currencies.  Regarding the survey quoted in this thread: is it just English Speaking visitors, Europeans or does it include Russians etc?

• Like 1

Europe is very attractive and interesting and depending where you live can be very cheap. For long term retirement and young people wanting fun the is the Triple states of The Gambia, Senegal and Guinea Bissau.  As yet relatively undiscovered,  people not ruined by mass tourism, excellent beaches and exotic culture, some of the best music in the world and genuine world travellers with talents and stories to tell. The Balkans are just opening up. Britain and the UK have cheap currencies.  Regarding the survey quoted in this thread: is it just English Speaking visitors, Europeans or does it include Russians etc?

9 minutes ago, Huayrat said:

40 Baht to the £££ need i say more..

But that does not influence Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians who are the majority expats BTW nor does it influence Americans or the 20 something European countries.....just the British who are a minority here. But the survey refers to Western Tourists of which the UK is a negligible.  So why are other westerners coming here less? And more importantly not coming as repeat visitor but just coming once and not returning. It is a myth that back packers don't have money: they do. It is a myth that older retirees here dont have money: they do. They also relish fun, freedom of choice and they are discerning with lots of information available about where to spend their money and how to spend it. And they are not choosing Thailand. about three years ago around the destruction of Bangkok street life I ceased to recommend to all my friends and family not to bother with Thailand, sad but true. Bahrain is more fun, Hanoi is more fun, Saigon is more fun. So its not just exchange rates.  There word has gotten out that from the party islands of KPG to the streets of COA to the fleshpots of Pattaya poor old Thailand is only worth a perfunctory visit, if that.  Berlin has techno. German and NZ have better girly scenes. Any dull average Euro suburb place MTV hip hop.  TV sports are everywhere. And now Thailand in many ways has ceased to be Thailand. So its not the strength of the UK pound its just national and municipal vandalism and mismanagement the country and its cities.  But Thailand has been great to me over 30 years so I am eternally grateful for it but saddened by the direction it has taken.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

Have to admit I agree.

A couple of places in BKK are good though.

We enjoy home cooking as well, as you say you know exactly what's in the food and how it's prepared.

Never been a fan of some kind of meat chopped up, mixed with a few unusual weeds, covered in chilli and MSG and a half cooked egg on top.

????????????.

Anyway we're going off topic.

Let's just say there are fewer and fewer jobs available for expats nowadays unless they are willing to work for next to local rates.

Apart from all the foregoing we are discussing relocating, not because we have to but because we fancy a change.

Just can't decide what to do with the two kids, of the four legged variety, decisions, decisions.

That's another big minus of Bangkok, having dogs..i would love to have some but we don't because of the traffic jam (never know when you arrive home) so we don't buy a dog. We have nice parks here and a garden plus house.

I never worked in thailand but i'm used to efficiency. Now my motobike has a puncture, takes 6 hours to empty and they can't fix it at my honda dealer...and a new tire takes a week to order (they say) but 2 years ago it was the same and after 6 weeks i still didn't have a new tire so i brought them myself from europe. It all is soooo crappy in BKK, if my wife didn't work here we would move tomorrow but to where i don't know. Probably to Europe again. Bangkok is far overpriced and very low quality plus far too busy with uneductated people who ruin it all for the smarter ones.

Try getting the aircons cleaned, we've had more than 10 different guys for that and they all let you wait a half day or don't come at all. I bought a wardrobe this weekend, took them 2 hours to find my address and that shop is 10 minutes around the corner. Than they became very rude and made my wife very angry. Low class idiots, everywhere.

So yes i understand why expats leave..i also don't like thai food except kao pad and pad thai...the rest i don't need it but japanese is great.

I also don't visit bars in BKK, they're far away and no fun without other foreigners. Also that skytrain is not convenient at all..only if you live at Siam but i won't live in a condo.

Thailand is far far behind the developed world...if they wanted me to work here (i've been asked for robotic teacher) i even want a higher salary than in the West. And still then i would loose too much time in traffic every day so i would need a very nice car plus driver or i won't do it.

Glad i don't have kids or dogs, in BKK it would be terrible to see them sitting in traffic jam all day long or not getting a decent life. And the education standards in thailand are far far below par.

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

You are the problem. You blame everybody else for your unhappiness and expect a developing country to offer 1st world service bur at 3rd world prices

Best thing for you is go back to Europe and educate yourself. I bet you will be back here within 6 months!!

I have a big house in a very nice european city...go there many months a year..

If you deny there is no traffic problem or too many uneducated people in BKK you have eye-problems i guess....

They even can't repair a tire, can't cook an egg, even don't have any manners by bringing crying babies in restaurants....

Even when i let my wife tell the waiter to fry my egg well done they won't do it...don't ask me why.

You are also part of my problem, i can't be bothered to meet farang with rose tainted glasses who are only here for the cheap sex i guess....but even that is cheaper and better in europe if that's what you like. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

They even can't repair a tire, can't cook an egg, even don't have any manners by bringing crying babies in restaurants....

Yes, and there certainly is not much anything more annoying then a cry baby.....

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

But that does not influence Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians who are the majority expats BTW nor does it influence Americans or the 20 something European countries.....just the British who are a minority here. But the survey refers to Western Tourists of which the UK is a negligible.  So why are other westerners coming here less? And more importantly not coming as repeat visitor but just coming once and not returning. It is a myth that back packers don't have money: they do. It is a myth that older retirees here dont have money: they do. They also relish fun, freedom of choice and they are discerning with lots of information available about where to spend their money and how to spend it. And they are not choosing Thailand. about three years ago around the destruction of Bangkok street life I ceased to recommend to all my friends and family not to bother with Thailand, sad but true. Bahrain is more fun, Hanoi is more fun, Saigon is more fun. So its not just exchange rates.  There word has gotten out that from the party islands of KPG to the streets of COA to the fleshpots of Pattaya poor old Thailand is only worth a perfunctory visit, if that.  Berlin has techno. German and NZ have better girly scenes. Any dull average Euro suburb place MTV hip hop.  TV sports are everywhere. And now Thailand in many ways has ceased to be Thailand. So its not the strength of the UK pound its just national and municipal vandalism and mismanagement the country and its cities.  But Thailand has been great to me over 30 years so I am eternally grateful for it but saddened by the direction it has taken.

Neither Australians,Kiwis or Canadians are the majority expats.

At which your long winded post is consigned to Lakhorn 3-Thai genius level.

Bahrain is the cloaca of the universe.

No-one in their right mind would chose to live permanently in an Arab state.

8 hours ago, madmen said:

You are the problem. You blame everybody else for your unhappiness and expect a developing country to offer 1st world service but at 3rd world prices

Best thing for you is go back to Europe and educate yourself. I bet you will be back here within 6 months!!

Why don't you go away...?

You are-very obviously-"hired help"

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

I never worked in thailand but i'm used to efficiency. Now my motobike has a puncture, takes 6 hours to empty and they can't fix it at my honda dealer...and a new tire takes a week to order (they say) but 2 years ago it was the same and after 6 weeks i still didn't have a new tire so i brought them myself from europe. It all is soooo crappy in BKK, if my wife didn't work here we would move tomorrow but to where i don't know. Probably to Europe again. Bangkok is far overpriced and very low quality plus far too busy with uneductated people who ruin it all for the smarter ones.

Try getting the aircons cleaned, we've had more than 10 different guys for that and they all let you wait a half day or don't come at all. I bought a wardrobe this weekend, took them 2 hours to find my address and that shop is 10 minutes around the corner. Than they became very rude and made my wife very angry. Low class idiots, everywhere.

DIY. Go to lazada, buy the tire and tools and put it on yourself. Get AC cleaning foam and the drip bag and DIY. Furniture is a problem, unless you're willing to buy a pickup and have farang buddies with muscle. Better bring with you from faranglnd.

Remember, somchais here only exist to make your life a misery, thet are as close to braindead as can be without being pronounced clinically dead. Idiots galore, probably 95% of the male population. If you can't DIY, face the music, get a lobotomy and join them or get the hell out of dodge.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, dcnx said:

We are leaving, hopefully by the end of next year. 

I wanted to leave this year but alas moving a family isn't that easy. Grinding towards the exit, hopefully in 2019/20, after 12 years here. In the meanwhile I shall fortify my castle and extend the moat. 

I live in a moobaan where most of the houses seem to be owned by farangs (company way). No occupants in sight, the houses are vacant. I guess they come for a few weeks every now and then, sometimes I feel like Will Smith in I Am Legend. Silver lining is no somchais either.

31 minutes ago, madmen said:

Your leaving because your eggs are not fried to perfection and Tyre problems?

Jesus how sad for you

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya emoji23.png

Yes it's very hard to fry an egg..even when the customer orders it well done...

Or to pump/repair a tire when you work for a Large Honda dealer.....but i fixed it myself today with a spraycan from Homepro...easy peasy...sad that the Honda dealers have never heard of it, homepro sells them..even you can do it.

Anything else to nag about mate? Or is it time to go to the international club now?

Yes it's very hard to fry an egg..even when the customer orders it well done...
Or to pump/repair a tire when you work for a Large Honda dealer.....but i fixed it myself today with a spraycan from Homepro...easy peasy...sad that the Honda dealers have never heard of it, homepro sells them..even you can do it.

Anything else to nag about mate? Or is it time to go to the international club now?
Hey your the one who brought up eggs n rubber. I'm surprised you made it this far in life with such overwhelming challenges.

Thank God you were able to rise triumphant and all on your own [emoji122]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

I bet your poor wife is elated she's got such a happy go lucky livewire 

I wonder why, years ago, the mods gave up telling people not to repost a long post just to add a line or two?

• Like 2