5 month overstay, want to leave.

41 minutes ago, DutchViet said:

Will Cambodia let me in the country, by air or land, with a 1 year thai ban in my passport?

That's an interesting question and I hope somebody will be able to answer it.

I did a quick web search and found nothing to indicate that Cambodian immigration denies entry to foreigners arriving from Thailand with a one-year Thai ban stamped in the passport. Just be sure not to use the land border at Poipet; funny things happening there recently. Best to fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I did a quick web search and found nothing to indicate that Cambodian immigration denies entry to foreigners arriving from Thailand with a one-year Thai ban stamped in the passport. Just be sure not to use the land border at Poipet; funny things happening there recently. Best to fly.

Poipet was exactly where I wanted to go, had good experiences there a while back regarding visa issues.
Thanks for the heads-up!

I'll check with the airlines which ones want to transport a 90+ day overstayer, and will post it here as soon as I figure it out. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jackdd said:

What's the problem with flying to Vietnam? The ticket is just slightly more expensive.

Another Airline might let you check in, you could just ask about their rules beforehand.

A land border should work as well

I paid 6150baht for a one way ticket to Siem Reap, Hanoi was 1/3 of that price. 

If possible I choose not to fly to Vietnam, only if there's no other way at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is an interesting report. It does seem possible that Cambodia would refuse entry to someone who is blacklisted from Thailand (which he would be). In the OP's position, if I really wanted to go to Cambodia, I would fly to Hi Chi Minh City, and enter Cambodia from there by land. If planning to leave at Poipet, make sure you take plenty of extra money for bribes.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

why not tell the whole story as u did on another forum, (TA)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k11812045-Overstay_5months_forced_exit_homecountry-Bangkok.html
u DONT want go to Vietnam for ...... reasons....and you hold a Vietnamese passport

and u have been wandering around bangkok airport for 3 days...

IF your able to exit Thailand LEGALLY<you wont have any trouble going anywhere else with a 1 year ban from entering thailand stamp.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You apparently did not read the OP. He apparently has no choice.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cereal said:

What is your reason for such an outrageous overstay? 

would be more interested as to why he can't go back through vietnam, seems a bit suss. but normally i think he could just book a flight through a different airline and he'd be ok. i was refused in HCMC by Air Asia because of slight water damage on an old passport, booked a flight through nok air and was no problem so it may just be down to that airlines policies

• Like 2

Seems that Thai Smile have same restriction as Laos Airlines on accepting non national overstayers as passengers. Likely their concern is over the passenger being barred from entry and, as a result, the airline picking up a hefty fine.

As another poster mentioned, just look for another airline that will allow such a passenger. Maybe a flight to KL? Looks like Immigration have no issue provided the Bt20k fine is paid. They will then slap a one year ban on the guy and wave goodbye.

Should be an easy fix and certainly better than chancing a road trip with potential checkpoints that would home in on the overstay with IDC being the next destination.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dabhand said:

Seems that Thai Smile have same restriction as Laos Airlines on accepting non national overstayers as passengers. Likely their concern is over the passenger being barred from entry and, as a result, the airline picking up a hefty fine.

That, or some arrangement with Thailand, to push longer-overstayers further away.

@DutchVietMany report going to Malaysia with overstays.  I would try that next - ask at the AirAsia desk. 

9 minutes ago, ToddinChonburi said:

They would be deporting you at immigration with a fine. I think you must go home.  

No deportain after paying the max fine of 20k baht on departure from the country and being banned from entering for one year.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Maestro said:

Cambodia is full of people banned from Thailand and others who are not able to live in Thailand (and left before being caught). So yes, it seems that it isn't a problem. But I know that life is easier for white people with money there, even criminals...

Edited by gaff

6 hours ago, Cereal said:

What is your reason for such an outrageous overstay? 

Outrageous? They just caught a German national overstaying 19 years.

I basically overstayed out of convenience, and since I'm not returning to Thailand I could not care less about a ban.

Now I am in Cambodia, legal with entry stamps, and I did not have to pay any overstay-fine.

Thanks everyone for the advise!

15 minutes ago, DutchViet said:

Outrageous? They just caught a German national overstaying 19 years.

I basically overstayed out of convenience, and since I'm not returning to Thailand I could not care less about a ban.

Now I am in Cambodia, legal with entry stamps, and I did not have to pay any overstay-fine.

Thanks everyone for the advise!

didn't have to pay an overstay fine? doesn't sound very legal to me mate

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

didn't have to pay an overstay fine? doesn't sound very legal to me mate

I tried to arrange it at the airport, but I got too much conflicting advise from officials and I did not want to waste money on another ticket that I could not use. Luckily there's more than one way to Rome. Total package from BKK to Cambodia costed me 12k, with entry stamp for Cambodia. Flying to Europe sundayevening!

6 minutes ago, DutchViet said:

I tried to arrange it at the airport, but I got too much conflicting advise from officials and I did not want to waste money on another ticket that I could not use. Luckily there's more than one way to Rome. Total package from BKK to Cambodia costed me 12k, with entry stamp for Cambodia. Flying to Europe sundayevening!

12k ? like i said totally illegal 555

I think it is the best to go to Laos, because as a Vietnamese you don't need a visa for Laos. The best is to take the green border, so you can avoid the Thai fine. Then from Laos you have no problems to enter Vietnam, by land or by air.

Edited by AloisAmrein