Exclusive: Despite tensions, Russia seeks U.S. help to rebuild Syria

rooster59

Morch, have you been drinking ?

I'm not going to write a dissertation to prove the obvious, that involvement equals influence ?

Re how important is Syria to China, well not at all as a standalone.

But as a Mediterranean sea port on a "belt" linking China with the whole of Eurasia, Russia, Middle East and Europe, I think you'll find it's going to be very very significant. That's the whole of the world more or less, apart from the Americas and ANZ.

China is showing a real breadth of vision and strategic planning, developing relationships, buying influence, while many western leaders are just playing with their home base.

Edited by My Thai Life

@My Thai Life

Can't support a bogus argument, gets personal. About as expected.

There wasn't anything said about a "dissertation". Substantiating, or providing any form of a shorter reasoned explanations would to just fine. Saying it's "obvious" doesn't qualify. All the more so when earlier you alluded to a supposed moral angle, which somehow puts the whole "argument" in perspective.

Involvement doesn't imply footing the bill. And, if anything, some could argue that in certain instances, Western "involvement" actually had a negative impact on perceptions and influence.

As for your "prized jewel in the Crown", I believe most Chinese long term designs on this front are more related to Northern Iran and Turkey - as in, relatively stable countries not devastated by war and having a fair bit of competence with infrastructure projects. Both also currently face economic troubles (courtesy of Trump), which may play nicely to China's advantage.

Though not quite on topic, your admiration of Chinese leadership prowess ignores the fact that there's no direct need to "play for the base", or face troublesome media, or even opposition. Whether China can keep its expansionist drive and maintain domestic stability, is a good question - for another topic.