Green algae in ocean. Is it safe to swim in Pats?

bbabythai

The "green algae" is used as a buoyancy aid and keeps poor swimmers afloat....excellent safety issue provided by the powers that be.......:thumbsup:

Edited by petermik
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wcoast said:

Most just jump from a condo balcony.

Ahh!....in other words, they landed themselves in the s - - t in Thailand. It's all becoming so clear now (unlike the Talay in Pattaya, it seems).

Pattaya's ocean is best enjoyed from a beach chair with a group of sociable friends and a cold beer in your hand.  Or, from a beachfront balcony where you can enjoy the boat activity and listen to the waves.  Ditto the cold beer.   If you want to swim, use a pool.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Pattaya's ocean is best enjoyed from a beach chair with a group of sociable friends and a cold beer in your hand.  Or, from a beachfront balcony where you can enjoy the boat activity and listen to the waves.  Ditto the cold beer.   If you want to swim, use a pool.

Even then you run the risk of some kind of infection, as most pools are not filtered correctly

At night, when you look at the water from the Beer Garden, near Walking Street, there is an oily look about it.

That and the preceding comments about whatever else is floating there, stops me from even paddling in the sea in Pattaya, let alone swimming!

When I stay in Patts, i get a place with a pool - end of!

Now when I last went to Koh Larn (2015), I went to the far side of the island. There the water was clean, but I've no idea how it is now.

If this is a serious question then the answer to your question is "No". The water quality here has been poor to put it mildly for years ... untreated sewerage does find it's way to the sea on a daily basis. It is not uncommon to see floating objects disposed of in toilets ending up on the beaches here. I personally have lived here for 15yrs now & I avoid all the beaches, it's not worth the risk ..... sad fact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daveyh said:

If this is a serious question then the answer to your question is "No". The water quality here has been poor to put it mildly for years ... untreated sewerage does find it's way to the sea on a daily basis. It is not uncommon to see floating objects disposed of in toilets ending up on the beaches here. I personally have lived here for 15yrs now & I avoid all the beaches, it's not worth the risk ..... sad fact.

With the amount of tourists in Thailand you would think that there would be a duty of care from the Thai authorities to advise on the condition of the waters at popular resorts . If bathers are at risk of sickness at any level by swimming in the seas and the danger is known by the T.A.T. and notices not posted to inform bathers then there is a serious case to be addressed . Of course any testing of the water for pollutants that proved positive would mean a loss of tourism .

So being an ostrich seems to be the answer . I do not know about other countries but the UK does have testing of waters around most of its waters and publishes the results .  

On 8/4/2018 at 12:28 PM, ToddinChonburi said:

I would say good luck with that pool idea. 

Was that a response to my #13?

'cos if it was I have no idea what you mean! Care to explain?