Unsafe boats grounded in Phuket boat safety crackdown

Jonathan Fairfield

Unsafe boats grounded in Phuket boat safety crackdown
By Eakkapop Thongtub

p1.jpg

PHUKET: Ten boats operating in Phuket have been banned from operating as they have been deemed unsafe in the ongoing crackdown on marine safety in the wake of the Phoenix tour boat disaster that killed 47 tourists.

Tourist Police Deputy Commander Gen Surachate Hakparn announced the news during an inspection of tour boats, fishing boats and shipyards in Phuket yesterday (Aug 3).

More than 400 boats have been inspected since the crackdown was launched, Gen Surachate explained, with more than 200 of them found not meeting safety standards.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/unsafe-boats-grounded-in-phuket-boat-safety-crackdown-68123.php#z5dCH21jbxxUg2g0.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-04
  • Like 1

Background of this is no laughing matter. 

But the OP photo is perfect for one of those "make your own caption" contests.

BJ: BEHOLD!  I hereby declare this National Aviation Safety Day for all Thai People in the Amazing Kingdom!  Violators will be subject to 10,000 years in jail, or a 100 Baht fine.  Khrup!"   

Crowd: "Ooooo.  Ahhhhhh!  Khrup!". 

Guy in black jacket to his immediate left: "Uh, sir.  Psssst!  Sir!  Boats, sir.  We're here about the boats. Khrup!"

image.png.62bc90ac1880df7fa0bc1cd0aa544aba.png

Edited by 55Jay
  • Haha 2

Just now, bluesofa said:

BJ: Of course I knew that you fool. I was talking about flying boats and seaplanes.

I saw your name viewing topic, I knew you would come up with a good add to the sequence.  ?:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I saw your name viewing topic, I knew you would come up with a good add to the sequence.  ?:thumbsup:

Praise indeed, thanks! Wait until you get the bill though. Reminds me (sorry mod, OT):

Son: Dad, dad, there's a man at the door with a bill.

Dad: No son, it's a duck with a hat on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Who exactly is taking charge of this stuff? 

The RTP?

The Royal Thai Navy?

ASOC? 

No, it's Super Joke.

At least he is doing something not like ' he who must be obeyed' and that other Big Mr P

8 minutes ago, Valentine said:

How about doing some rigorous inspections of tour buses & see how many pass

You're jumping the gun there. You know how it works:

Need to wait for an 'accident' with multiple tourist fatalities, then form a committee to look into, swearing that lessons will be learned and safety improvements made.

As soon as it's out of the spotlight, then nothing will be done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

You're jumping the gun there. You know how it works:

Need to wait for an 'accident' with multiple tourist fatalities, then form a committee to look into, swearing that lessons will be learned and safety improvements made.

As soon as it's out of the spotlight, then nothing will be done.

To be honest a few years ago when I last ventured to the road tax place there were a few buses lined up awaiting inspection but seems there is never any follow up.

You are right, being pro active does not figure in any planning.

As another poster suggested. how can anyone help guarantee their own safety if they have no knowledge of which boats have not passed. There is likely a list somewhere but not publicised

• Like 2

I might be missing something here there is no mention about the ability of the boat crews, might be an idea if they have to go through vigorous testing before being allowed to crew a vessel, you can have the best boat in the world but if there is a problem what to do

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Just a tad late with this crackdown.

Normal service will resume in about 10 days time .

The stationery stores have run out of giant size brown envelopes and are on emergency re-order procedures. 

• Haha 2

And to what standard are the boats being inspected to what level have the design stability and quality of construction records etc to what level of training of the crews how often do they practice fire,man overboard,abandon ship drills?records?

• Like 1

So now this weeks "crackdown" is the boats. Next week it will be Farangs wearing dark sunglasses.
A while ago there was the "Guest-House Crackdown". Nobody even talks about it anymore.
Looking at my calender: The next Crackdown on prostitution is due in about 3 days.
Cheers.

14 hours ago, Tug said:

And to what standard are the boats being inspected to what level have the design stability and quality of construction records etc to what level of training of the crews how often do they practice fire,man overboard,abandon ship drills?records?

Now, now...………..you are expecting common sense, safety and rational thinking to come to the fore. Wrong country.