Brimming dams pose severe threat

webfact

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Just two days ago we were told there is going to be 'No repeat of devastating 2011 floods'....

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1051132-no-repeat-of-devastating-2011-floods/

YES...... Just exactly what we can expect from a gov't that spends more money for tanks and 'subs' than on their population's safety.......

Everything will be fine. From what I understand, they are planning on using boats to push the water down the rivers quicker. That should work. 

Also I am selling some land at low tide if anyone is interested.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Of cource this haven't happened during previous governments,

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As long as the government du jour continue to have the memory and attention span of the proverbial goldfish, of course it will happen every single time.

'Learn from previous mistakes' - not a bureaucratic trait.

YES.... Indeed.... IT HAS......... But this present Gov't is trying to appear as a 'HERO' to it's people ...... But hasn't Improved anything except IT'S Military..... And talked up a storm of BRAGGING about the good that they are doing....

4 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

As long as the government du jour continue to have the memory and attention span of the proverbial goldfish, of course it will happen every single time.

YES.... Indeed.... IT HAS......... But this present Gov't is trying to appear as a 'HERO' to it's people ...... But hasn't Improved anything except IT'S Military..... And talked up a storm of BRAGGING about the good that they are doing....

LOL. You're from the big country across the pond, and you're complaining about "bragging".

6 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Like Trump lays all blame at Obama's door, the junta have Yingluck as their scapegoat.

4 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Need a little Dutch kid with his finger in the whole. The problem is a centralised government located in Bangkok that appears to only think of one thing. I am very sad. The farmers are innovative people, they just need help.

seems the government needs to remove their finger - pronto, or will they wait as usual and react after the event.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 300sd said:

Everything will be fine. From what I understand, they are planning on using boats to push the water down the rivers quicker. That should work. 

Also I am selling some land at low tide if anyone is interested.

how much for the land? how big is it?lol

43 minutes ago, NotThatGuy said:

Did anyone else read that as “Damn Brits pose a serious threat”?

Aaaaagh..........the answer was there all the time and we did not realise it. Sometimes solutions are so simple.  :clap2:

(being a non Brit myself)

1 hour ago, connda said:

"But, but - we never saw this coming!"  -- Thailand 2011 Floods

(fast forward 7 years)

"But, but - we never saw this coming!"  -- Thailand 2018 Floods

Pssst.  Why don't you contract with the Dutch to create a proactive, country-wide water management solution?
<silence>  :closedeyes:

"But, but - we never saw this coming!"  -- Thailand 2118 Floods

Last time we had the major floods in and around Bangkok. A group of Dutch experts on water management came and offered their help to Thailand. After all, allot of the Nederlands is under water level and they do very well at managing it.

In their wisdom though the Thai government declined their help!

TiT - Amazing Thailand !!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimbo1964 said:

Last time we had the major floods in and around Bangkok. A group of Dutch experts on water management came and offered their help to Thailand. After all, allot of the Nederlands is under water level and they do very well at managing it.

"They" rejected it because it was not their solution. Kingdom governed by those who only want to re-invent the wheel?

Another thought occurred - "they" were sceptical about receiving 'large brown envelopes' from the Dutch? :whistling:

5 hours ago, kannot said:

I notice Pranburi DAM was  getting very full about 6  months ago, when I moved here it has been  ( unbeknown) to me very dry fr the last 5  years. But last year 2017 there was a little  bit  more rain, this year 2018 there has been a lot of rain ALL year.

Now if  I noticed this then surely the locals did too. I went up to the dam 4-5  times this year out of curiosity as I saw the amount of rain we'd  had in Jan to June. Normally if we were  lucky it might rain once or twice in that time frame over the last 5  years

Pranburi dam could have been lowered MONTHS ago as it was already way  fuller than Ive ever  seen it in  those 5  years...........only now are they panic emptying it.................Following my late Dads  advice I always  bought land on a  hill, the Dams outflow is about 30 metres  lower than my land and Im 16km from it.

AND the wettest months have yet to come SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER

If you look at the graph, I think they are doing just fine managing the water? 

Capture.JPG

4 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Need a little Dutch kid with his finger in the whole. The problem is a centralised government located in Bangkok that appears to only think of one thing. I am very sad. The farmers are innovative people, they just need help.

I don't think that will work at this late stage, the people in charge have had their thumbs in their little holes all year & couldn't see this coming.

They could have been draining off water over the last 2 or 3 months in readiness for the rainy season!

• Like 1

Remember that bit about the offer from the Netherlands was turned down.

The guys from Waterstaat are pretty good with drainage and with keeping water where it belongs.

Not sure I would seek help with dam management from the Netherlands, not their expertise me thinks.

Good dam management is really about predicting next year's consumption and next year's weather.

Hindsight being the only true wisdom suggests that they must apply statistical models to guide the management.

I assume they have many years of data collected and which would be suitable for building models.

(worked with dam management myself, ages ago, I had only 2 concerns - making a profit on the water (hydro electricity) - maintaining a certain

water level in downstream rivers for the benefit of the fish, not easy  - but doable)

What they try to do in Thailand is way more complex. The same water is supposed to cater for very different purposes that are partly not compatible.

* communal water

* for producing drinking water

* some hydro electricity

* cater for fish etc in the dams

* cater for some leisure activities

* fruit farming

* rice farming

* vegetable farming

* fish / shrimp / etc farming

* preventing flooding downstream

guess there are more. This is not an easy task.

• Like 2

Srinagarind dam must be well up, it is controlled by gates which are usually opened and shut on a daily basis.

My home is about 30m back from the river and usually the 30m is a nice area of grass. Currently under water for the 2nd time this year as they haven't closed the gates, this only happens when the dam is getting to be full, it used to be a yearly thing, but this year is the first time for a number of years. About 6 weeks ago the depth of water covering the lawn was just over a meter.

When I was a bit younger I used to enjoy this flooding and would canoe around the trees, only problem is if the level is up for any length of time, it leaves a horrible muddy mess behind when it finally goes down.

1 hour ago, Jimbo1964 said:

Well you must realise the Thai government does , always has, and always will apply the maximum wisdom to all things. It's just that foreigners don't know and understand the subtleties of this profound wisdom. 

Edited by Artisi

7 hours ago, kannot said:

I notice Pranburi DAM was  getting very full about 6  months ago, when I moved here it has been  ( unbeknown) to me very dry fr the last 5  years. But last year 2017 there was a little  bit  more rain, this year 2018 there has been a lot of rain ALL year.

Now if  I noticed this then surely the locals did too. I went up to the dam 4-5  times this year out of curiosity as I saw the amount of rain we'd  had in Jan to June. Normally if we were  lucky it might rain once or twice in that time frame over the last 5  years

Pranburi dam could have been lowered MONTHS ago as it was already way  fuller than Ive ever  seen it in  those 5  years...........only now are they panic emptying it.................Following my late Dads  advice I always  bought land on a  hill, the Dams outflow is about 30 metres  lower than my land and Im 16km from it.

AND the wettest months have yet to come SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER

Yes ! I live just south of PKK town right on the coast, the area used to be bone dry (we were told every 20 odd years they had a bad wet season)but the last 3 years a noticeable difference , and this year almost daily rain with the bad months still to come

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As long as the government du jour continue to have the memory and attention span of the proverbial goldfish, of course it will happen every single time.

Don’t insult goldfish, you may hurt their feelings 

• Haha 1