Phuket hoteliers to eliminate plastic bottles, notch up environmental education

webfact

3 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

About time! EVERY restaurant and home in Thailand has at least a three-stage water filter. No reason not to drink the water from them.

INSIST your favourite venues give you filtred water. They'll learn because your custom is their living.

Really!!!  I suppose I'll ignore the sludge in the bottom of the tanks then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Why single out Thai's love of plastic bags....do you not think plastic bags were/are loved by most people everywhere?

The article is about a place in Thailand. I live in Thailand. Everywhere is not a country, province or town.

• Thanks 1

Well i think it is a good start to do something: cant wait up to EVERYONE is following not to use plastic bags or bottles or whatever but also you need an industry that is using plastic bottles several times, same with glas bottles and many many more and yes, in Europe we are quioe ahead but it took also decades to change things.

Same will happen here and yes: for Thais all must have a money based value!

So this is the governments part to start with education plans, teach ADULTS!! and the parents and yes find a way to save money while doing another way of recycling and show the benefits but as well show the PENALTIES as thais reacting like children but based on loose money structure!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mok199 said:

Small steps don't work here in thailand and odds are greater of finding a bag full of cash in the back seat of a meter taxi , than changing the thais love of the convienient plastic bag on a finger.but good luck with that sir

I am wondering if their cost effective solution to this small step actually means they will no longer provide the free bottles of water that are usually in the rooms... 

Just 2 nights ago 6 of us in Kata Pizza Co. 6 glasses for coke. 6 plastic straws, We handed back and chanted save the planet. Staff thought us crazy. 7-11 the worst. Buy a small single item must put in a plastic bag, I decline the bag. They insist store policy is to bag. Sigh

• Like 1

The hoteliers move will not change anything....at most there will be fewer plastic bottles left in the lobby or in the trash cans to dispose....

....what is needed is like in Europe, have trash disposal bins all over, have recycling bins at every street corner, keep the streets clean with daily cleaning,  done with heavy load machines...

......when a place is dirty, people don't hesitate to add litter...if people see that governance is making an effort to keep the streets clean, people follow....human nature that is ...  the ball is in the side of governance to enter 4.0 or not !

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Just 2 nights ago 6 of us in Kata Pizza Co. 6 glasses for coke. 6 plastic straws, We handed back and chanted save the planet. Staff thought us crazy. 7-11 the worst. Buy a small single item must put in a plastic bag, I decline the bag. They insist store policy is to bag. Sigh

Carry your own plastic bag - No 7-11 crew has ever refused to use mine (even when they are from FoodLand).

At least they’re talking about it and this is better than ignoring the problem. Time will tell but I think people are smart enough to make the change. It may take a while but the wheels of change are in motion. The more it’s talked about the more it’s likely to move in the right direction. 

Keep it moving. Be proactive and say no to plastic of any form when you get the chance. It’s a good feeling. 

People eating and drinking trash worried about polluting with straws....how funny is that?

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I nearly always refuse the bag at 7/11, and that request has never been refused or even looked upon with a frown.

I nearly always refuse the bag at 7/11, and that request has never been refused or even looked upon with a frown.

Every time I refuse the bag and straw no one says anything. After trading at the same store a few times they hold the bag and look at me to see if I want it.

If they bag it, and you don’t want the bag, just pick your stuff up and leave the bag.

In the US people drag their filthy cloth bags back and forth to the market, some are flat out disgusting
  • Like 1