Yingluck Extradition Going Nowhere, Officials Say

webfact

Yingluck Extradition Going Nowhere, Officials Say

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

1-80-696x464.jpg

Thaksin Shinawatra and Yingluck Shinawatra are seen in a July 26, 2016, photo posted online by Yingluck. Photo: Yingluck Shinawatra / Facebook

BANGKOK — Britain has yet to respond to a request to extradite prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and no other governments have provided information on her whereabouts, government officials said Tuesday.

Because no foreign government will confirm Yingluck’s whereabouts, the extradition effort cannot proceed, police spokesman Col. Krissana Pattanacharoen said in an interview, even as rumors say the former premier is planning another trip to Hong Kong.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/08/07/yingluck-extradition-going-nowhere-officials-say/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-08-07
  • Haha 1

"Because no foreign government will confirm Yingluck’s whereabouts, the extradition effort cannot proceed, police spokesman Col. Krissana Pattanacharoen said in an interview, even as rumors say the former premier is planning another trip to Hong Kong. "

Whats the guy referred to above trying to say?

If it was firmly established that  YL stays in nnn XXX street in the greater London area.

Could the extradition proceed then?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

"Because no foreign government will confirm Yingluck’s whereabouts, the extradition effort cannot proceed, police spokesman Col. Krissana Pattanacharoen said in an interview, even as rumors say the former premier is planning another trip to Hong Kong. "

If it was firmly established that  YL stays in nnn XXX street in the greater London area.

Nope ;   The Extradition Request has already 'gone somewhere'.....in the bin !

• Haha 1

The hot potato game. MFA chuck it to the police who chuck it to the Interior Ministry who chuck it to the one of the deputy PM's who chucks it to the Ministry of Justice and on. Nobody wants it and everybody wants to offload it to somebody else real quick. There's no upside in this one and nobody wants to say, "Can't do it." So they all make up fake excuses to make it appear they have done all they can.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Because no foreign government will confirm Yingluck’s whereabouts, the extradition effort cannot proceed, police spokesman Col. Krissana Pattanacharoen said

I feel sorry for police Colonel Krissana. After sleepless nights caused by bitterness and resentment the PM probably phones him every morning asking how he is getting on with the extradition of the Shins. 

Must be driving him batty that they show up in the media everywhere but no one knows where they really are. This must be worse than water torture for the PM.

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

No, not if the authorities in the country in question are not willing to acknowledge her presence. You can't extradite someone without the cooperation of the country that person is in. 

I fully understand that. But what the <deleted> has the address to do with this?

My understanding is that it is well established that she has a visa for the UK and that she travels to and from the foggy islands.

The UK immigration will know if she is in/out of UK - I dont understand the whereabouts bit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The hot potato game. MFA chuck it to the police who chuck it to the Interior Ministry who chuck it to the one of the deputy PM's who chucks it to the Ministry of Justice and on. Nobody wants it and everybody wants to offload it to somebody else real quick. There's no upside in this one and nobody wants to say, "Can't do it." So they all make up fake excuses to make it appear they have done all they can.

Agreed.
Under the terms of the extradition treaty between Hong Kong and Thailand, if the junta filed papers in advance she would be arrested on arrival without HK police having to play hunt the thimble. The papers last 45 days and can be renewed, so they could curtail her trip with ease if they wanted.

More convenient to sweep it under the carpet with all the other cases.....

• Like 2

Look in the mirror & repeat after me......

I am part of an illegal Junta that took control of a democratically elected government & now hold a country hostage.

I will never be responded to by any real country or nation because I am basically a thief.

Why would anyone respond to me in any official manner?

Feel Better now?

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

The UK immigration will know if she is in/out of UK - I dont understand the whereabouts bit.

It doesn't matter if they 'know' she's in the UK. Before someone can be extradited, they have to be taken into custody by the authorities in the country where they are. If that country can't (or won't)  establish the person's actual physical location in their country in the first place, they obviously can't (or won't) detain them.

• Sad 1

Can you imagine the scenes at the airport if she, never mind her brother, arrived back. The international spotlight would well and truly be on the junta especially how they controlled the enthusiastic response should would get. It suits the junta well that they are being ignored. 

14 minutes ago, tso310 said:

Can you imagine the scenes at the airport if she, never mind her brother, arrived back. The international spotlight would well and truly be on the junta especially how they controlled the enthusiastic response should would get. It suits the junta well that they are being ignored. 

It hasn't proved sufficient disincentive in the back, to those sufficiently motivated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Benigno_Aquino_Jr.

3 minutes ago, korkenzieher said:

It hasn't proved sufficient disincentive in the back, to those sufficiently motivated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Benigno_Aquino_Jr.

I remember that well. I was in Saudi at the time and knew many Filipinos. No surprise what happened there. Prayut is no fool. I suspect he's got some western advisors behind him these days trying to give him some PR lessons. However he's not winning the PR war with people from lower Isaan.

I am quite surprised that nobody ever mentioned that she might be using "another" country passport when she travels. Ms. Yingluck? Oh yes, we have one person named Yingluck...but sorry guys, she is not Thai! Wrong person!

13 minutes ago, BEngBKK said:

I coruption common in UK, since they allowed her to stay ????

I think you will find that the UK values the fact that a democracy was rudely interrupted by a military Junta much more highly, than what that Junta thinks of the people it supplanted.

• Thanks 1