Illogical pricing

hobz

Hi,

I'm from Sweden. Lived 30 years in Sweden. 6 years in Thailand.

When I buy stuff I almost always check how much I save if I buy bigger pack. This way I have discovered illogical prices frequently and constantly in Thailand.

I'm not talking about street vendors. I'm talking about the big stores.

In 7/11, Tesco, big c, makro. Etc.

For example, lay chips in 711 20THB for 53g bag and 30THB for 75g bag. 

Or in Tesco one San mig Light bottle might be 38THB and 4 bottles is 159THB.

Washing deterrents often have illogical prices here too.

I know, I know, just pay attention and be happy. Ok cool. Done.

But why does this happen in Thailand and not in Sweden? 

Does it say more about Sweden or Thailand?

What does it say?

I don't think Thai people are stupid, because I never saw street vendors make this mistake. 

It only happens in the big chains.

And if it's a business practice, why don't they use that same practice in the big chains in Sweden? 

What is the difference? Does it say or tell anything about the cultures of Sweden or Thailand?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, upu2 said:

It is the same in Greece. I think you have to be a local to really understand the "logic" of it

Your answer is Soo unhelpful.

So you are saying that Thailand and Greece are simply illogical or use different type of logic?

4 minutes ago, hobz said:

Your answer is Soo unhelpful.

So you are saying that Thailand and Greece are simply illogical or use different type of logic?

Probably different types of logic but strange whatever logic they use

11 minutes ago, samsensam said:

it happens in the uk too, usually someone has made an error inputting data to a computer.

i certainly wouldn't generalise too much over a few pricing errors in supermarkets.

Isn't it strange that I never saw it in Sweden for 30 years but I see it constantly here.

That can't be coincidence. Sorry.

Of course I don't want to generalize too much over it. But I'm 100% confident it says something about Thailand or Sweden. Interesting to me personally even if it's really minor. I love minor culture differences. They are fun conversation starters and can be used to open minds etc.

Maybe it's simply computer errors. But in Sweden they get fixed quicker because Swedish People complain more? It's the only known factor that I know...  Swedish ppl love complaining and Thai people rarely complain.. 

Everyone makes errors... But the swedes fix them quicker due to constant complaining?

I heard also that Thai lower/floor staff never report problems upwards to higher staff.. something about face or whatnot..  in Sweden they do.

16 minutes ago, samsensam said:

it happens in the uk too, usually someone has made an error inputting data to a computer.

i certainly wouldn't generalise too much over a few pricing errors in supermarkets.

Tesco might be doing it on purpose. Retail trick. People expect the bigger pack to be cheaper and are too lazy to make the calculation.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

No its not coincidence...its often cheaper to buy the smaller pack than the larger one in Thailand...when looking at the huge packs (pallet) the savings are more often in line of what we would expect.

Yes, more often than not it's logical, even in Thailand.

But errors happen frequently in Thailand. But errors never happen in Sweden (well, almost never.. I didn't see it once in 30 years.. I Thailand ive seen it countless times in 6 years). What is different between Sweden and thailand?

11 minutes ago, johng said:

Thailand has "mai ben rai" or never mind

Yep.. Sweden has something opposite. Lol.

I don't know what it's called but it's the very thing that makes a swedish guy post threads like this.....it makes swedes quite annoying for some ppl... And of course not all swedes are like this.. but it's at least common in Sweden to have this mindset opposite to "mai pen Rai".

It has huge downsides.. people irritated and angry often comes with it or from it.

But it also has the upside that some stuff work smoother in Sweden because it has been grinded down to perfection by the constant nagging.

48 minutes ago, hobz said:

My biggest theory now is that the difference between Thailand and Sweden is that Thai people never complain or point out errors. Swedish people often do.

or if you complain to a Thai that individual item are cheaper than bulk packs, they'd just ask you that if you're so smart in figuring out, why don't you buy the individual items then

54 minutes ago, hobz said:

When I buy stuff I almost always check how much I save if I buy bigger pack. This way I have discovered illogical prices frequently and constantly in Thailand.

I'm not talking about street vendors. I'm talking about the big stores.

In 7/11, Tesco, big c, makro. Etc.

For example, lay chips in 711 20THB for 53g bag and 30THB for 75g bag. 

Or in Tesco one San mig Light bottle might be 38THB and 4 bottles is 159THB.

What kind of logic to you expect? Logic like if it is double the size it should be max double the price but likely be cheaper?

I can see the logic: Drinking beer and eating chips is a lot more fun with a couple of friends. So people buy lots of beer and big bags of chips. That's logic, or not?

How many people in Thailand do you think are able to figure out what a 75g bag should cost compared to a 53g bag? I bet at least 70% of the people wouldn't be able to figure it out any way including calculators, mobile phones, calling their friends...

This is not confined to Thailand. My wife used to get impatient with my checking value for money between pack sizes in UK. On many occasions the smaller pack was cheaper. It's a common supermarket trick but not illegal.

8 minutes ago, digbeth said:

or if you complain to a Thai that individual item are cheaper than bulk packs, they'd just ask you that if you're so smart in figuring out, why don't you buy the individual items then

Hehe, they misinterpret the intentions of the complaint?

3 minutes ago, Maybole said:

This is not confined to Thailand. My wife used to get impatient with my checking value for money between pack sizes in UK. On many occasions the smaller pack was cheaper. It's a common supermarket trick but not illegal.

So then the question becomes why doesn't it happen in Sweden? What makes Sweden special?

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What kind of logic to you expect? Logic like if it is double the size it should be max double the price but likely be cheaper?

I can see the logic: Drinking beer and eating chips is a lot more fun with a couple of friends. So people buy lots of beer and big bags of chips. That's logic, or not?

How many people in Thailand do you think are able to figure out what a 75g bag should cost compared to a 53g bag? I bet at least 70% of the people wouldn't be able to figure it out any way including calculators, mobile phones, calling their friends...

I expect that buy more = cheaper or same. 

Are you saying that the difference between Thailand and Sweden is that thai people don't understand this very very very basic rule of pricing. Remember, I never saw this happen on the streets.. only happens in the big chains. And never happens anywhere in Sweden.

8 minutes ago, digbeth said:

If you're gonna complain about every 'tax on the stupid' there's also lottery and such

Not complaining. Trying to understand cultural difference. Thanks. Bye.

PS. Lottery exists in Sweden. Illogical pricing does not.

Same happens in UK.

There was one of those consumer programs on UK  TV a while back where they compared big value packs to small single packs of various things in a cross section of UK supermarkets and they found that in most cases it was cheaper to buy multiples of the small packs.

Seems to be global logic ?

Just now, Daffy D said:

Same happens in UK.

There was one of those consumer programs on UK  TV a while back where they compared big value packs to small single packs of various things in a cross section of UK supermarkets and they found that in most cases it was cheaper to buy multiples of the small packs.

Seems to be global logic ?

Hmmm .... So Sweden is sticking out? What is so special in Sweden that this does not happen there?? 

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

sometimes things go on sale that makes the smaller size/pack cheaper, the people making the sale/promotion can miss things and didn't notice that it will make the bigger size things cost more per item

But why does that never happen in Sweden?

10 minutes ago, hobz said:

I expect that buy more = cheaper or same. 

Are you saying that the difference between Thailand and Sweden is that thai people don't understand this very very very basic rule of pricing. Remember, I never saw this happen on the streets.. only happens in the big chains. And never happens anywhere in Sweden.

Are you saying that you don't know that many Thais basically can't even count to 100. Go to a shop and buy something for 50B and pay with a hundred baht note. How many of the "cashiers" would be able to work out in their head how much change you should get?

I know now almost everywhere there is a electronic register. But over the years I saw hundreds of times that people calculate something like 100 - 30. And if the calculator would tell them the difference is 700 they would give you 700B change. TiT!

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you saying that you don't know that many Thais basically can't even count to 100. Go to a shop and buy something for 50B and pay with a hundred baht note. How many of the "cashiers" would be able to work out in their head how much change you should get?

I know now almost everywhere there is a electronic register. But over the years I saw hundreds of times that people calculate something like 100 - 30. And if the calculator would tell them the difference is 700 they would give you 700B change. TiT!

Ok, sure, I know that education levels in Thailand are much lower than Sweden.

But, it can't be the whole story. Because there's stupid people in Sweden too. And mistakes must happen in Sweden too. Yet they seem to not happen or be fixed quickly in Sweden... 

I used to shop with a calculator in Farangland and find this type of gitch too. But more common in LOS and some here are weird.  Parrot soap, Gillette Fusion blades  and  Attack laundry detergents at Tesco Lotus.   And so many others I cannot remember.   Look at the level of education of the average Thai and it is not hard to understand.  Even some of the back room marketing and pricing staff at some of these big places must be an eye opener for education and ability levels.   Maybe no one wants to point it out to the boss or he might lose face and they lose their job.  That is highly possible in some cases with the environment here.  A couple of supermarket managers have made themselves known to me at times when I asked questions and staff "got the boss" and I was not impressed in their priorities.  Note:  I did not ask to see the boss.  I just asked questions the staff could not answer.

Archived