More seatless carriages planned for subway trains during rush hours

webfact

More seatless carriages planned for subway trains during rush hours

By Thai PBS

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM58pROObcIhQ1takNZJj0MkTw

Bangkok Expressway and Metro Pcl which operates the Blue Line subway is pondering whether it should double the number of seatless carriage to two for each train so there will be more standing room to accommodate more passengers during rush hours.

BEM has been operating 19 trains each with one carriage that is seatless for about a month and the majority of the passengers have agreed with the idea because this has helped ease congestion of passengers on the platforms as more passengers can get into the train, said an informed BEM source.

Each train of the Blue Line subway shuttling between Taopoon and Hua Lumphong is made up of three carriages each with 42 seats or a total of 142 seats for the whole train.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/more-seatless-carriages-planned-for-subway-trains-during-rush-hours/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-08-08

I always assumed the transport such as Skytrain and the subway (MRT)  were government operated.

I'm surprised to learn at least the MRT is not.      What about Skytrain?   Not government owned and operated?

I vote for more cars and not having seatless  ones.   If the books warrant a price increase for more cars with seats that would be my preference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How dare you suggest such a thing! Buying more carriages might upset the shareholders. Much better to not waste profits by providing seats for the paying customers.

On the other hand, procuring more carriages would be, at least, a 2 to 3 year thing 

Notwithstanding the question if the electric system of the train can cope with 40-60 ton extra weight, the changes to the existing carriages, and so on and so forth.

9 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I always assumed the transport such as Skytrain and the subway (MRT)  were government operated.

I'm surprised to learn at least the MRT is not.      What about Skytrain?   Not government owned and operated?

I vote for more cars and not having seatless  ones.   If the books warrant a price increase for more cars with seats that would be my preference.

Skytrain also privately owned and they are all reaping in profits.. but don't want to invest. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On the other hand, procuring more carriages would be, at least, a 2 to 3 year thing 
Notwithstanding the question if the electric system of the train can cope with 40-60 ton extra weight, the changes to the existing carriages, and so on and so forth.
This is a quote from the original article:

"BEM has a plan to buy an addition of 35 trains within next year, with one three-carriage new train to be delivered at the end of this year and three more within next March."

Interesting would be what "plans to buy" means. Did they order and built the cars already or just send the order to the manufacturer. As you pointed out correctly it will take another 2-3 years until they can be delivered.

I also often noticed that there is still plenty of space inside the trains even during rush hours. If anyone would stop using their smartphone during the train ride people could squeeze much more together. Anyone who has been using the subways in Japan and China knows what I'm talking about. But Khun Thai don't like to do this...

Also naybe they should install more railings and handgrip so people can move inside.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CLW said:

I also often noticed that there is still plenty of space inside the trains even during rush hours. If anyone would stop using their smartphone during the train ride people could squeeze much more together. Anyone who has been using the subways in Japan and China knows what I'm talking about. But Khun Thai don't like to do this...

Also naybe they should install more railings and handgrip so people can move inside.

I absolutely agree with this post ! They all stop by the entrance doors ( mainly Thai fruitcakes ) Every time I take either ones of the public transportation I always find my way in the middle farther in, where there’s plenty of room to stand, where as the Thai seem to have the shoes glued to the floor and the head glued to their phone ? They just won’t move inside in spite of the constant announcement played out by the Bts trains.. Naturally, there’s  no point telling them to move inside as we all know that Thais ( some foreigners too ! ) Appear to be deaf and or just ignoring you..Muppetts !

Ideally, adding more cars would ease things a little but surely they will still get glued in front of the doors ??‍♂️

Living in the jungle was never meant to be easy !

35 minutes ago, CLW said:

I absolutely agree with this post ! They all stop by the entrance doors ( mainly Thai fruitcakes ) Every time I take either ones of the public transportation I always find my way in the middle farther in, where there’s plenty of room to stand, where as the Thai seem to have the shoes glued to the floor and the head glued to their phone ? They just won’t move inside in spite of the constant announcement played out by the Bts trains.. Naturally, there’s  no point telling them to move inside as we all know that Thais ( some foreigners too ! ) Appear to be deaf and or just ignoring you..Muppetts !

Ideally, adding more cars would ease things a little but surely they will still get glued in front of the doors ??‍♂️

Living in the jungle was never meant to be easy !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Well, New York carries 12 cars and London often seven or eight, and the new Elizabeth Line will have trains 200 metres long. So if the Bangkok trains can only pull four then they should ask for their money back.

• Like 2

BTS Siemens trains are nearly identical to MRT trains so adding a fourth car is not an issue as BTS has done this already. When BTS ordered the extra cars it would have been a great opportunity for the MRT to piggyback on that order but of course they did not. 

The only government owned and operated system is the Airport Link which is the most poorly managed of the three. This should have been taken away from SRT and given to BTS to manage long ago.

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

I am not an expert, but I guess that if the stations were built to accommodate 6 car trains ( both Skytrain & Metro )  , the engineers have built the electrical system to cope with it and the stations to support 6 car trains. But it is Thailand....

Why 6  car train ?  Maybe it was to have the possibility to connect 2 X 3 car train together  during rush hour .

Remember ,  I am no expert !  

Edited by cnx355
added text

12 hours ago, Freed1948 said:

I wait for the day that WIFI access is not available on the trains.

Then perhaps the idiots will notice that an oldie is in front of them and needs a seat!

Don't think anyone's connecting on WiFi. Data in the city is cheap and that's what people are using.