Boris Johnson slammed over Islamophobic comments

webfact

4 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

In my opinion your logic is the wrong way round. People who cannot speak English should not be given British citizenship in the first place. If they cannot speak English they cannot contribute in any meaningful way to our society.

For you to blame the British system for not teaching them English is a bit much in my opinion.

But of course you are welcome to your opinion.

+ be able to explain the legacy of the Magna Carta

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

In my opinion your logic is the wrong way round. People who cannot speak English should not be given British citizenship in the first place. If they cannot speak English they cannot contribute in any meaningful way to our society.

For you to blame the British system for not teaching them English is a bit much in my opinion.

Don’t go saying stuff like that in Welsh Wales!

2 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

I assume criteria / legislation  relating to your first paragraph are evolving, as they are here in Australia. BTW I am a UK citizen from London.

My Thai wife went though government funded English language lessons here in Oz, I attended a few, thought they were pathetic. However, concerning your response above guess you overlooked my phrase "contributing factors"

• Like 1

Can you provide a link please, as I cannot find the article.

You should try walking around Tower Hamlets in east London. I spend a lot of time in Canary Wharf, and it’s swarming with these Grim Reaper lookalikes.
It’s not much use quoting national statistics. There are concentrated pockets of them doted around the country.
Most of East London is blighted by the dark cult now.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

As already explained to you; people who cannot speak and write English (or Welsh to be totally accurate) to B1 of the CEFR for speaking and listening and good enough to study for and pass the written LitUK test, cannot naturalise as British.

And as David Cameron has already explained to you via my quote from the Guardian, 228,000 muslim women in the UK have no English skills or very limited English skills. Clearly that would put them some way below B1, more like pre A1 or A1.

It would seem that the policy you are referring to has failed.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, My Thai Life said:

And as David Cameron has already explained to you via my quote from the Guardian, 228,000 muslim women in the UK have no Engish skills or very limited English skills. Clearly that would put them some way below B1, more like pre A1 or A1.

But the census stats say differently...so for the third time, is it 6% or, as Cameron suggests, 22%? Surely you must be cherry picking the article if you are not looking at both sides of the article. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Ridiculing people.

If you disagree, make a habit of ridiculing people you meet face to face.

because saying " it looks like this or that " per se is ridiculing?

the comparison of the burqa to the letter box is the result of a sharp observation. It is not an insult - If you do not like the comparison, it's your problem.

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

And as David Cameron has already explained to you via my quote from the Guardian, 228,000 muslim women in the UK have no English skills or very limited English skills. Clearly that would put them some way below B1, more like pre A1 or A1.

Cameron says, but, according to your source, others put the figure a lot lower.

Plus, as the article says, those who cannot meet the required standard for FLR or the higher one for ILR will probably have to leave!

Applicants at every stage have to prove they have met the required minimum standard for that stage.

Much discussion of this in the Visas and migration to other countries forum at the time, though as far as I am aware no member here has yet fallen foul of it.

Where do you live?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There you go with more unfounded assumptions.

You are once again, off topic and making assumptions about my nationality.

My nationality is a piece of personal information I do not share in this forum  and once again I find I have to ask you not to attempt to reveal this personal information.

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve had to make this point to you.

Your continuing posts on this matter are well out of order.

Tut, tut, My Thai Life, Chomper, didn't you know, is a Russian who speaks impeccable English with occasional slip-ups.

He is trying to influence the voters of ThaiVisa and is in danger of being caught either by the CIA or MI6.  After which we will be mercifully free of his contributions to this forum (unless of course the American or British authorities swap him for a Russian spy held in the West, leaving Chomper free, alas, to take up where he left off....)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blazes said:

Tut, tut, My Thai Life, Chomper, didn't you know, is a Russian who speaks impeccable English with occasional slip-ups.

He is trying to influence the voters of ThaiVisa and is in danger of being caught either by the CIA or MI6.  After which we will be mercifully free of his contributions to this forum (unless of course the American or British authorities swap him for a Russian spy held in the West, leaving Chomper free, alas, to take up where he left off....)

Early start today?

1 hour ago, blazes said:

I dunno about you, Chomper ol' boy, but I have never yet met a Welsh-speaking  person who could not speak perfect English.

Just to set right what you are wrongly implying.

You’ve never met a Welshman who’s right to British citizenship was conditional on their ability to speak English.

• Sad 1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_clothing

**** NEWS FLASH****GROUSE MODIFIES STANCE****

In strongly object to Nijab and Burkha. However, head scarves are acceptable. The word Hijab just means to cover ( something Russian tourists should learn). Basic Hijab covers head a breasts but exposes the full face. I accept this form of dress. The extreme Hijab (Burka and Hijab) must be banned. But here's an idea, let's just ask people politely to ditch extreme Hijab. If there is no response then face the law. It's not Islamic, it's just impolite.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 2

Trying to have a conversation with anyone that hides their face is going to be difficult. Depending on the situation we always need NVC to make sense and make decisions about what people say. The 7/38/55 study was extreme but we certainly use NVC a lot .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

Spent many a weekend at the Uni. of Bangor. Many residential units that took Welsh only, one block was particularly Welsh and not wise to be caught speaking English in there.

Also broke the record for number of people in a Ford Fiesta (on the way back from a climb up Snowdon), , in the days before health and safety - or maybe they don't have policemen in Wales ? I'm off topic again !

I totally agree with some posters, in that the great British self deprecating sense of humour is on the wain. It's sad.

Actually, it's not self-deprecating humor when the object of your humor is treated as "other" rather than as "one of us."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Makes one wonder why telephones ever caught on.

I was sitting on the tube today, long journey all the way back to Heathrow. Beside and opposite me was a lovely family 5 children, Mum and Dad. The mother was was covered with just her eyes showing and the girls had headscarfs only. 

I sat wondering what the Baffoon would actually say to this family was he sitting where I was watching them all joke and play around. 

I could hear every word the Mum said and I was sitting further away than the family themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Opl said:

"one of us" .. if you say so

How misguided.

The future of Britain is of course Chinese, but we'll get extra rations for not <deleted> up Singapore and Hong Kong!

Meanwhile these ladies will wish for the days of casual chav abuse once the Maoists get their freak on.

• Confused 1