Woman injured as 4-tonne steel pipe falls on car in Bangkok

webfact

After many years of living in Vietnam, now Thailand, I have observed that much of the behaviour is governed by lack of education, a reluctance to spend money on work safety - viz : having traffic cones out, and traffic management people in place, while a huge object is craned over a road, means additional money.

Moreover, its about FATE. The Viets and the Thais are superstitious to the extent that they don't consider wearing a crash helmet on a motorcycle to make any difference in their safety - it's all about fate - hence so much praying to the gods, and the wearing of amulets and other lucky charms.

1 hour ago, Robert Ian said:

After many years of living in Vietnam, now Thailand, I have observed that much of the behaviour is governed by lack of education, a reluctance to spend money on work safety - viz : having traffic cones out, and traffic management people in place, while a huge object is craned over a road, means additional money.

Moreover, its about FATE. The Viets and the Thais are superstitious to the extent that they don't consider wearing a crash helmet on a motorcycle to make any difference in their safety - it's all about fate - hence so much praying to the gods, and the wearing of amulets and other lucky charms.

When you see drivers placing branches behind their vehicles to indicate to others that it broke down then I don't think there is much else to discuss about, it's just hopeless. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

How utterly rediculous to consider running. Do you realise how hard it is to run and play on your iphone at the same time. 

Also if they run they would have gotten all hot and sweaty...not to mention burnt to a crisp by the fierce UV ray exposure...the whitening cream would have cost more than a new car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kotsak said:

When you see drivers placing branches behind their vehicles to indicate to others that it broke down then I don't think there is much else to discuss about, it's just hopeless. ?

13502095_560783127457022_2749446280718780816_n.jpg.dfccd1bd0ff403cdf8275d0ef454673e.jpg13567019_565803933621608_2765156932315630794_n.jpg.93dc18cb85a2aa8d31f69669ba603510.jpg1653309_524626391072696_7929296087381218229_n.jpg.75b1bb94e0a18f604639da347b4d9d71.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kotsak said:

Yes, there were tree fellers who drove straight past them.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

When on the roads you normally  have to look right,left,back and front,

for people trying to kill you,now from above,they were very lucky .

regards worgeordie

..she was being reminded she didnt subscribe to YouTube.

A few years ago they were widening the Eastbound Highway 12 from Phitsanulok.

During the construction phase, the widened part / newly constructed parts of the road would just 'end' with a 1m drop onto the dirt road foundation. 

Each morning there would be a news section of vehicles crashed on this road, most of them simply drove off the edge of the road down the 1m drop - the areas where the road terminated were not marked with lights at night, just a branch or in others areas of construction a red and white painted piece of wood.

The take away here is to never drive through rural highways at night. 

5 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

And what will happen to the morons responsible? Ah, TiT. So zilch. 

Well it was a new Benz so this accident has the highest chance to be investigated and prosecuted.

If the pipe had fallen on top of the Benz for sure they would have been dead now.

I hope the Thai will get safety-lessons from the Japanese very soon....

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

It will be below soon, believe you me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I remember an accident a few months ago where a car was drove over a bridge under construction and the driver was pinned in the car by the construction steel .....

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A few years ago they were widening the Eastbound Highway 12 from Phitsanulok.

During the construction phase, the widened part / newly constructed parts of the road would just 'end' with a 1m drop onto the dirt road foundation. 

Each morning there would be a news section of vehicles crashed on this road, most of them simply drove off the edge of the road down the 1m drop - the areas where the road terminated were not marked with lights at night, just a branch or in others areas of construction a red and white painted piece of wood.

The take away here is to never drive through rural highways at night. 

Point made !!! 

Not so sure about the veracity of this article.  It states the pipe fell on them whilst they were in traffic yet the pictures indicate that they were not on the highway.  Were they perhaps,  as most Thais do, trying to circumvent the queue by driving where they shouldn't be,  in this case onto part of the construction site ? Of course it doesn't  get away from the contractors failing in their duty of care but there again what contractor does take safety seriously in Thailand ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Not so sure about the veracity of this article.  It states the pipe fell on them whilst they were in traffic yet the pictures indicate that they were not on the highway.  Were they perhaps,  as most Thais do, trying to circumvent the queue by driving where they shouldn't be,  in this case onto part of the construction site ? Of course it doesn't  get away from the contractors failing in their duty of care but there again what contractor does take safety seriously in Thailand ?

The event has been captured by a dash cam behind.

There is one single lane very close to the construction site. Might be some bypass around the construction site.

To the left there seems to be an entrance road to some plot.

And no they were not yet on the highway as the article clearly states:

Bang Khun Non local road heading to Charansanitwong Road

I read that the construction company already agreed to compensation (new car or cash).

If they were on a forbidden path this shouldn't happen?

Pretty expensive as it was a fairly new Merc E350.

Still image:

pipe.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

On Thursday, August 09, 2018 at 1:16 PM, kotsak said:

Good comment , and how often just up the road from the branches do you see a brick or log that was placed behind the wheel of the vehicle to stop it running back , too lazy to get rid of after  ? As for the 4 ton pipe , another case of how long before compensation , I would be expecting to be fully compensated for ....next day. OK maybe not/never over here.