PHOTOS: Scores of police and military descend on Pattaya Walking Street

webfact

PHOTOS: Scores of police and military descend on Pattaya Walking Street

w4.jpg

Local police, military personnel and Banglamung district officials inspected bars in Pattaya’s notorious Walking Street on Wednesday night.

The purpose of the raids was to crackdown on human trafficking and help ensure public safety.

Bar owners and employees were informed that anyone involved in human trafficking now faces between 4-12 years in jail and/or a fine of between 400k and 1.2 million baht.

Photos of the large police and military presence were posted to the We Love Pattaya Facebook page.

There was no mention if anyone was actually charged in relation to human trafficking or committing any other offence following the raids.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-09

w2.jpg

w1.jpg

w3.jpg

w6.jpg

There was no mention if anyone was actually charged in relation to human trafficking or committing any other offence following the raids. Bar owners and employees were informed that anyone involved in human trafficking now faces between 4-12 years in jail and/or a fine of between 400k and 1.2 million baht. Wonder if they were informed prior to the raid by any chance ?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I suspect that something was lost in translation as no mention of these officers coming away wealthier than they were when they started, which I am pretty sure is what actually happened in at least a few places.

Cant help but laugh at the first photo, with the two fellas at the front, mounted on their wheels, as if they are about to lead a charge into battle.

Motorised zimmer frames are cool....?

• Haha 2

Well looks like Pattaya is out for me now too many military there on the streets.

Bangkok white ghetto on Sukhumvit between soi 1 and 21 is out to  scary now with all the black drug dealers and no street merchants. 

What does that leave me to go the Pitsanulok night market by the river?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would imagine that it took some time to assemble all those cops, get them in line for photo op, etc. Plenty of time to "correct" any dicey behavior etc that may have been going on. Or were all those uniform types doing one of their undercover raids?

• Haha 1

Just another photo opportunity , the whole police force seem to have showed up. 

LIfe in WS is probably back to normal today , little would I know, I avoid that part of town. 

1 hour ago, CanuckThai said:

...it's a happening place in Kalasin now.  Global house, is where it's at, be there or be square

Ah Kalasin.  Did anyone ever reopen my restaurant out beside the driving range?

Am I missing something here? "Human Trafficking"? Doesn't that mean coercing people against their will or under false pretences, or simply kidnapping them, and forcing them to work in the sex industry - usually of other nations??

It seems that the govt have used Google Translate and grabbed at the only word they could understand, "prostitution". 

Hence this charade and photo-call with national coverage, showing how they have "risen immediately to address and overcome the evil of human trafficking".

Another notch on the efficacy totem-pole of the T. gov - the formidableness of this particular cavalry gallop only matched by the fearsome prospect of a year in jail for stubbing out a cigarette in the sand.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

oh boy! lets go on vacation here!

w4.jpg.dd7d462c32cfb0aba010fcfa9b64a68d.jpg

Ha! No kidding! People with little or no knowledge of Thailand and Thai police "shows of force" would have no idea of how meaningless these charades are. "Honey, how about Vietnam?"