Chiang Mai traffic cops using CCTV to catch red light jumpers

snoop1130

Chiang Mai traffic cops using CCTV to catch red light jumpers

image-1.jpg

Police in Chiang Mai are using CCTV to catch drivers who jump red lights.

According to a post on Facebook that went viral this week, a motorist received a 500 baht in the post after CCTV footage caught them failing to stop at a red light.

The incident is believed to be among the first where CCTV has been used to fine a motorist for jumping a red light

It is not known if the CCTV is only being used in Chiang Mai or if it is being rolled out nationwide.

It is also not known if the CCTV is used to catch motorcyclists who jump a red light.

Earlier this, traffic police installed cameras at 15 locations in Bangkok to catch motorists illegally changing lanes.

On the first day of operation, the cameras caught 14,000 drivers breaking the law.

image-2.jpg

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-8-9
  • Like 1

I was out on a quiet road bringing my wife back home and sneaked through an amber light feeling a little guilty. A look in my mirror showed that the next 5 cars all came through behind me. The last 2 causing the lane that now had a green to wait. Daily stuff.

• Like 2

I wonder how long it will last. The climate doesn't appear to be friendly to traffic cameras here.

The Doi Saket - Ban Narm Ronn section of the road to Chiang Rai has 4 traffic cameras/speed indicators. 3 of them have died.

I wonder how long it will last. The climate doesn't appear to be friendly to traffic cameras here.
The Doi Saket - Ban Narm Ronn section of the road to Chiang Rai has 4 traffic cameras/speed indicators. 3 of them have died.

That is just a maintenance problem, nothing is ever taken care of here.

In the future there will be smart roads where speed is limited by sensors and over speed governors installed in all vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot see the actual red light that the car is supposed to

have gone through ?,I am all for catching the red light jumpers,

also a 500 THB fine, the authorities are not taking this seriously

enough.one thing for sure they are going to make a lot of money

from this,  if people pay the fines.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I cannot see the actual red light that the car is supposed to

have gone through ?,I am all for catching the red light jumpers,

also a 500 THB fine, the authorities are not taking this seriously

enough.one thing for sure they are going to make a lot of money

from this,  if people pay the fines.

regards worgeordie

The light can be seen at the very top edge of the photo, slightly left of centre.

The first photo shows the light on red and the car has not reached the stop line.

The second photo shows the light, still on red, and the car is past the stop line.

Bang to rights - as they used to say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my speeding fine three years ago, was camera job. That was in Udon Thani. Notice arrived two weeks after the fine was due. My Thai family managed to get a discount, got the late payment fine knocked off.

Same setup as Australia.

• Like 2

What is more to the point is when the lights at major junctions turn green and a whole load of waiting drivers find it (mentally challenging) to move briskly through. Big C traffic lights on the Hang dong road 108 is a good example of a slow-motion cascade. And there, IMO, the north and south bound traffic should move at the same time  - to avoid huge back-ups on both sides - like the Samoeng lights at the 121 intersection. 

Edited by stephenterry
correction

15 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I was out on a quiet road bringing my wife back home and sneaked through an amber light feeling a little guilty. A look in my mirror showed that the next 5 cars all came through behind me. The last 2 causing the lane that now had a green to wait. Daily stuff.

..see what you started.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The real danger of attempting to stop at yellow light as most Westerns will do is the likelihood of getting rear-ended by a Thai who assumes that a red light means "Stop" only 5 to 10 seconds after the light turns red. 
Agreed with a poster above.  500 THB isn't enough to change a culturally ingrained habit; and 'enforced' 5000 THB fine perhaps would.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arithai12 said:

In CM, when I am first at a green light I look to the left and to the right before starting, most of the times there are still cars happily going through the intersection.

Often, right in front of a police box. 

Probably that same intersection shown in the photo, which seems to me to be in front of MAYA.  It's deadly there, and even more dangerous for anyone wanting to cross on foot.

6 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

In the past week I have received 2 speeding notifications. The cited area was Don Chan on the super highway. 500 baht fine in each instance. Anybody know of any other areas where there are cameras?

That'll be under the flyover, next to traffic cops HQ.  to be honest, best to keep under 90kph on the ringroads, superhighway.  It's hard to keep the speed down, with modern high powered vehicles, & 90 kph is way too slow on main roads,  but you don't get anywhere much quicker by speeding.  Times are changing here.

11 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

That'll be under the flyover, next to traffic cops HQ.  to be honest, best to keep under 90kph on the ringroads, superhighway.  It's hard to keep the speed down, with modern high powered vehicles, & 90 kph is way too slow on main roads,  but you don't get anywhere much quicker by speeding.  Times are changing here.

It depends on what you mean by a high powered vehicle.

I have to smile when I see wide rubber, lowered suspension and a rear spoiler on something like a 1.2 L Nissan Almera or Toyota Vios.