UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

15 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I don't think that is the case any more. Let the people decide, and we'll find out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You're not related to Jose M Barroso by any chance are you? ????????

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

There is no need for me to provide any more, the onus is on YOU.

You’re wrong. When you’re accusing someone of something, you have to prove it, not the other way round. 

But you won't do it I'm sure because you're both unable to and probably not inclined to even try.

Yes, I’m unable to prove your accusation that the EU is discriminating people when it comes to visa. I think it’s nonsense.  

Do you have ANY experience trying to get a Thai or any non EU national a visitor or work or study visa? If so then list it for me.

- My ex, when I was working in Germany, used to visit me plenty times. Never had a problem getting a visa.

- Also, when I was working in Germany, I met a guy in the office who turned out to be Thai. He studied his masters in Germany and then joined the German office of our company. 

- Plenty of work colleagues and friends visit and have been visiting Europe plenty of times, for vacation as well as for business trips. Never had a problem getting a visa either. One group just returned from a two weeks trip; another group is about to go soon. One ex of mine just returned from traveling in Europe. She used to have a German boyfriend after me who she visited plenty of times as well. 

- A friend of mine met his now-wife at university in Germany. She was studying her masters there. 

- I used to hangout with an au pair girl in Germany as well. Pretty sure she had a valid work visa. Met her again in Bangkok where she’s preparing for her bachelor which she wants to study in Germany. 

- Met another Thai girl (who was dating a friend of mine working in Bangkok that time) in Berlin who was there for some sort of management seminar for a month. 

Is that enough?

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

23 minutes ago, tebee said:

They may move the annual factory shutdown to coincide with Brexit day. Makes perfect sense to do that, to avoid any temporary disruption.

BMW moved some production of the Mini to the Netherlands in 2012 - way before Brexit was even a a word. And they wouldn't move all Mini production to the Netherlands and risk alienating a 3rd of their customer base. German car makers will find a way to carry on doing business with the UK.

Incidentally, I could open the whole article.  Is there an official quote from the head of BMW stating the move to Netherlands will happen?

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

You should ask the government, after all it is them that is responsible. Of course they will blame the EU, never admit to under funding the enforcement agencies.

Brexit has always been about money and emotion, predominantly money.

If no one had to wait to see a doctor or to have an operation, and

If the elderly and mentally ill were efficiently treated with respect, and

If the police had crime under control, and 

If every school was performing to an acceptable level, and

If the social security system was running smoothly, and 

If the unemployed Romanians had been dealt with quickly and deported,

Then it would have been a different outcome altogether and the emotional paranoids would have been left crying in their beer.

The austerity program has a lot to answer for.

Proximate Cause is EU freedom of movement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

I have spent the last thirty seven years dealing in Europe and the USA and building my business there.  I love being a European and being able to travel and do business there. 

Given that you've worked and done business in the US (I'm assumng you don't have dual US citizenship), you know that you will be able to work and do business in the EU after brexit - whatever form that takes - either from the UK or by establishing an EU-base.

I love being a European too, but being a European and being in the EU are not the same thing - the EU is not Europe - you will still be a European whatever happens with brexit.

• Like 2

I have never before heard of losing the right to vote because of living abroad.

I hope this is special for UK and not normal.

The circus around who could/could not vote re Scotland and independence I found rather distasteful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

If/when I have lived away from the UK for 15 years, I won't complain if I can't vote. After all, why should I vote on topics affecting a country I no longer live in? 

Why should I have the same voting rights as those who are still living there and will be directly affected by the result?

If you are a taxpayer then you should be entitled to vote, after all you are paying tax so why shouldn't you have a say in it.

What was it those pesky murrkins used to say back in the 1770s?

No taxation without representation.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Given that you've worked and done business in the US (I'm assumng you don't have dual US citizenship), you know that you will be able to work and do business in the EU after brexit - whatever form that takes - either from the UK or by establishing an EU-base.

I love being a European too, but being a European and being in the EU are not the same thing - the EU is not Europe - you will still be a European whatever happens with brexit.

You are right I don't have dual US Citizenship.  Never needed it or wanted it.  And of course I will always be a European and proud of that  (OK maybe not proud but certainly every happy about it).  As for my business and Europe.  I can assure you that the way it operates there are certain aspects of a "Hard" or "No Deal" Brexit that would mean that I would be financially and operationally much worse off to the point of not being able to continue without moving the base.  After 37 years I should know, don't you think?

I have already put in place a new base should I need it along with other people in the same boat as me.  We all hope that we won't need it. 

Edited by dunroaming
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

You should ask the government, after all it is them that is responsible. Of course they will blame the EU, never admit to under funding the enforcement agencies.

Then it would have been a different outcome altogether and the emotional paranoids would have been left crying in their beer.

So has the previous Labour governments of Blair and Brown who caused the problem in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finished watching Theresa May's conference speech.  It was cringemaking but nothing new, just the same old waffle and no indication of any progress with Brexit.  So I am afraid we are left to still scratch around looking for something Brexitish to bicker over ????

Interestingly though she didn't mention "Chequers" once.  Having a re-think Mr's May?

Edited by dunroaming

18 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I can assure you that the way it operates there are certain aspects of a "Hard" or "No Deal" Brexit that would mean that I would be financially and oerationally much worse off to the point of not being able to continue without moving the base.  After 37 years I should know, don't you think?

Yes of course you would - that's exactly what I was saying, I wasn't trying to be facetious or condescending. 

I too have worked extensively across Europe and the US, and other parts of the world, but via multinationals. And I have no personal or business exposure to Brexit.

If I had a UK-based SME trading with the EU, I would likely be very unhappy with the leave vote. Obviously each business and personal situation is different. Dyson says he's been trading with the EU on WTO terms for a couple of years. To tell the truth I'm not sure what he means by this - he is not yet a nation-state able to secure his own trade deals independently of national policy!

Edited by My Thai Life

2 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Yes of course you would - that's exactly what I was saying, I wasn't trying to be facetious or condescending. 

I too have worked extensively across Europe and the US, and other parts of the world, but via multinationals. And I have no personal or business exposure to Brexit.

If I had a UK-based SME trading with the EU, I would likely be very unhappy with the leave vote. Obviously each business and personal situation is different. Dyson says he's been trading with the EU on WTO terms for a couple of years. To tell the truth I'm not sure what he means by this - he is not yet a nation-state able to secure his own trade deals!

Didn't think for a moment that you were being facetious or condescending.  Sorry if my reply suggested that.  I do get a little fractious about all this as you can imagine.  I have come to terms with Brexit long ago and I am not one of those calling for it to be scrapped.  I did to start with but I now know it would just cause a deepening of the splits in the country.  It is down to how the final deal will affect me. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

ust finished watching Theresa May's conference speech.  It was cringemaking but nothing new, just the same old waffle and no indication of any progress with Brexit.  So I am afraid we are left to still scratch around looking for something Brexitish to bicker over ????

I think for me the most important development at the Tory conference was Arlene Foster saying she would support Johnson's plan. I'd like to see some recalculations of the parliamentary arithmetic for the different brexit possibilities - there seem to be a few losers, but no clear winner.

Edited by My Thai Life

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Quite right, nobody said much of anything when they had pounds in pockets.  I've posted as much a few times.  I think Churchill said as much, far more eloquently of course.

6 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

I think for me the most important development at the Tory conference was Arlene Foster saying she would support Johnson's plan. I'd like to see some recalculations of the parliamentary arithmetic for the different brexit possibilities - there seem to be a few losers, but no clear winner.

To be fair, Johnson's idea of a bridge physically connection GB to NI must be making her practically moist in anticipation which is a dreadful thought on its own.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Just finished watching Theresa May's conference speech.  It was cringemaking but nothing new, just the same old waffle and no indication of any progress with Brexit.  So I am afraid we are left to still scratch around looking for something Brexitish to bicker over ????

Interestingly though she didn't mention "Chequers" once.  Having a re-think Mr's May?

Yes, slightly cryptic. I don't think she had the balls to mention Chequers! ???? But it sounds like she is going to try to stick with it and it also sounds like she may have a card up her sleeve (or somewhere) but I doubt if its an ace! If its a joker there could be a GE. But it would be interesting to know how many one-to-one calls she's had with Merkel since she visited Germany???? ??

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

They may move the annual factory shutdown to coincide with Brexit day. Makes perfect sense to do that, to avoid any temporary disruption.

BMW moved some production of the Mini to the Netherlands in 2012 - way before Brexit was even a a word. And they wouldn't move all Mini production to the Netherlands and risk alienating a 3rd of their customer base. German car makers will find a way to carry on doing business with the UK.

Incidentally, I could open the whole article.  Is there an official quote from the head of BMW stating the move to Netherlands will happen?

Harald Krüger, chief executive of BMW and a former head of the Mini plant, said:....

“If there is a no-deal Brexit we will be impacted because some of the cars will not be able to meet certain free trade agreements across the globe because the UK portion of the value [of components including the engine] in the car is not enough for some of these free trade agreements,” Mr Krüger said.

“If we do not qualify from the UK we will move production to the Netherlands [where the other main Mini plant is] because then we can fulfil those free trade agreements.

He did also say that he would keep some production at Oxford for the UK market though 

Edited by tebee
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tebee said:

Harald Krüger, chief executive of BMW and a former head of the Mini plant, said:....

“If there is a no-deal Brexit we will be impacted because some of the cars will not be able to meet certain free trade agreements across the globe because the UK portion of the value [of components including the engine] in the car is not enough for some of these free trade agreements,” Mr Krüger said.

“If we do not qualify from the UK we will move production to the Netherlands [where the other main Mini plant is] because then we can fulfil those free trade agreements.

He did also say that he would keep some production at Oxford for the UK market though 

and? so what?

24 minutes ago, tebee said:

It's all to do with rules of origin - the percentage of foreign components an export may have and still be considered  as a export of one country.

while we are part of the EU  this isn't a problem as parts made in any part of the CU are considered home parts.

but after we leave, if a car may have no more than 15% of non-EU parts in in to comply with rules of origin, a car with say 25% British parts would not comply and would suffer a higher import tariff when shipped to another country. 

Technical explanation here 

https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/roi_e/roi_info_e.htm

Got it, thanks ????

• Like 1

It's a good job (for the Tories) that Labour went first or the Tories wouldn't have had any ideas at all.  Oh, there was the obligatory mention of tax cuts, and a vague promise of new housing.  I'm sure the tax cuts will materialise- for the already wealthy anyway!

We have even less clarity on Brexit than before, which is rather remarkable really.

"Dancing Queen'- 'Waterloo' more like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1