UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

hmm

Farage, German wife - children -- > mama passport and papa passport

why the fuss?

would think that the average pommy had more important issues to focus on now

Because its all they've got Melvin.

But while we are here what's your take on the 27 EU countries voting on Mays breakaway proposals, many countries seem to be objecting to it already.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

On the other hand there is this:

Nigel Farage Refuses To Deny Claim He's Applying For German Citizenship

The former UKIP leader prompted the speculation after he was spotted queuing at the Germany embassy so BuzzFeed News asked him about it. "None of your business," he said before hanging up.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickstrudwick/nigel-farage-refuses-to-deny-claim-hes-applying-for-german-c?utm_term=.lfVDm9NmNK#.vaNpO3vOvd

I  think most people would tell the media to get lost its none of your business 

I am married to a German national. Can I apply for German citizenship? 

Provided certain other conditions are met you have the right to naturalization after you have been legally resident in the Federal Republic of Germany for three years. However you have to have been married for at least two years.

If he had a German Pasport I would expect a German MP/MEP to have published it by now since they haven't can only assume he hasn't got one

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You can't defeat democracy with more democracy

Maybe the Brexiters think democracy is like alcohol. A little bit is good but more than that...and maybe that explains why Farage, who clearly disagrees with that,  had no trouble in supporting a 2nd referendum back when.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

I  think most people would tell the media to get lost its none of your business 

I am married to a German national. Can I apply for German citizenship? 

Provided certain other conditions are met you have the right to naturalization after you have been legally resident in the Federal Republic of Germany for three years. However you have to have been married for at least two years.

If he had a German Pasport I would expect a German MP/MEP to have published it by now since they haven't can only assume he hasn't got one

Or maybe he was angry because he got caught red-handed? 

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Or maybe he was angry because he got caught red-handed? 

to apply you have been legally resident in the Federal Republic of Germany for three years.

has he been a resident  Federal Republic of Germany for three years. No 

has the remain campaign found evidence of the existence of such a passport No

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Eh? The goal of Brexit is to get out of the EU, not to get a better deal with the EU.

The "better deal" part comes from an independent world-wide trade policy, of which the EU would be a part, a diminishing part, as it has been for the last decade or two.

Most of the world trades under WTO rules, there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about trading under WTO rules.

The "no deal" scenario has been hyped up by the CBI and other reactionaries, but it's just a bump in the road to an independent trade policy. The alternative is a few more years of limbo.

People do get very confused about exchange rates - a weak pound is good for exports.

I am flabbergasted at the naivety 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, vogie said:

Original question.

"know I will regret asking this, but how can Nigel Farage affect your freedom of movement?"

Can you not travel freely in Europe now.

Blaming Farage for everything on gods earth does still not answer the question, and to say "we have developed an hatred for foreigners is purely provocative and untrue.

One can travel freely in the EU now. That is about to be summarily curtailed. For what? Damn all

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I wish the UK well.

But I have a feeling that it will be a  hard  hard place to be for many in  years to come.

Not that it will be  alone.

There is a change in international attitudes that despite the platitudes is increasingly regressive in terms of core social and humanitarian outcome.

Having  sucked  the lemon dry where now to find the source of........?

Good point, the worlds resources are limited, things will be

more expensive due to diminishing returns of acquisition,

plus environmental care will require economic contraction.

The UK will be in a bad place as it is not able to support

itself now.   Land of hope and forget the glory.

Keep sucking that lemon buddy

Edited by talahtnut
a
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

But while we are here what's your take on the 27 EU countries voting on Mays breakaway proposals, many countries seem to be objecting to it already.

my take?

don't have a founded one - I find it difficult to obtain proper news about what is going on in Brussels this week

can't rely on UK rags, they are biased/skewed

have read that Spain is making a fuss re the cliff, this is as expected and will pipe down - me thinks

however, there are other differences between member states - not sure of the concrete fuss

divorce payment - the 2 year prolongation - NI,  has been mentioned

a couple of EU minister interviews I have seen - they say - Worried - but likely sorted by Sunday

if you look at it from a kinda pragmatic point of view:

woud be sort of odd if EU should vote down the deal

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Maybe the Brexiters think democracy is like alcohol. A little bit is good but more than that...and maybe that explains why Farage, who clearly disagrees with that,  had no trouble in supporting a 2nd referendum back when.

What second referendum was that?

Did I miss something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

That rates with doom and gloom from everybody.

Project Fear and £350 million painted on the side of a bus.

WAS there a second referendum or not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That rates with doom and gloom from everybody.

Project Fear and £350 million painted on the side of a bus.

WAS there a second referendum or not?

"and maybe that explains why Farage, who clearly disagrees with that,  had no trouble in supporting a 2nd referendum back when."

Is your point that I should have written "he supported the idea of a 2nd referendum back when?"

You think that's significant? What is significant is that Farage didn't think one referendum was enough if the vote was 52-48 percent against Brexit. What part of that don't you understand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Grouse said:

One can travel freely in the EU now. That is about to be summarily curtailed. For what? Damn all

Why can't we (you and I) travel freely after brexit, Mays Brexit divorce deal says visa free travel in Europe, subject to the HOC passing it of course. ????

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, vogie said:

just read an article,

apparently, Spain has gone to a fuss level higher than expected

the Spanish cabinet chief says that they can not accept Gibraltar being part of the Brexit deal,

they demand that the faith of the cliff is to be negotiated between UK and Spain - only

unless the text in the deal is altered to reflect that they will vote no

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Please explain how Farage was in a position to give another referendum, he wasn't. What part of that don't you understand.

Here's my orginal statement on the subject:

"Maybe the Brexiters think democracy is like alcohol. A little bit is good but more than that...and maybe that explains why Farage, who clearly disagrees with that,  had no trouble in supporting a 2nd referendum back when."

I'll be charitable and assume you haven't read it. Otherwise, a diagnosis of dyslexia is in order.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Please explain how Farage was in a position to give another referendum, he wasn't. What part of that don't you understand.

Part of Cameron's reason to have the referendum was because of the fear that the Tory party was losing supporters to UKIP and it seems like it's starting to happen again.Nigel returns on his white charger to be head of UKIP again and rescue Brexit from the second referendum that is surely coming.

15 minutes ago, vogie said:

Fishing is a big problem with some EU countries, seems they think the UK will be advantaged by fishing in our own waters, you really couldn't make this up if you tried.

fisheries and agriculture  - those working in these fields are a special breed,

they enjoy alternative brain capacities

never really understood their thinking

this is not only an EU-UK problem -but a worldwide one

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Here's my orginal statement on the subject:

"Maybe the Brexiters think democracy is like alcohol. A little bit is good but more than that...and maybe that explains why Farage, who clearly disagrees with that,  had no trouble in supporting a 2nd referendum back when."

I'll be charitable and assume you haven't read it. Otherwise, a diagnosis of dyslexia is in order.

I just cannot why you are trying to derail this topic with your 'I hate Nigel Farage' rhetoric. Whether Farage supported another referendum, it does not matter one jot, I repeat, he was in no position to give one.

But what you are very good at is your ad hominem attacks and patronising, so I will leave it there because I know you don't like losing face and have to have the last word. Bonsoir.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

I just cannot why you are trying to derail this topic with your 'I hate Nigel Farage' rhetoric. Whether Farage supported another referendum, it does not matter one jot, I repeat, he was in no position to give one.

But what you are very good at is your ad hominem attacks and patronising, so I will leave it there because I know you don't like losing face and have to have the last word. Bonsoir.

But now you're raising a different point. And as most people reading my original comment would understand, it was a joke. Maybe not a good one, maybe obviously not a good one, but obviously one nonetheless.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Yes, fisheries and agriculture. Between them they feed all those extra-special, expensively educated large brains that ultimately breed self-serving politicians who get reckless with their own ambitions and end up seriously buggering up the lower-order 'special breeds' whole existence; farmers, fishermen, bus drivers, teachers, machinists, hair stylists, plumbers, sparkies, builders, retirees, sexpats, etc, etc..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

farmers and even more so fishermen should be at the bottom of the list when sorting out the brexit mess,ive never met a poor farmer and know how much made out of the foot and mouth fiasco,something else our politicians ballsed up.

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

But now you're raising a different point. And as most people reading my original comment would understand, it was a joke. Maybe not a good one, maybe obviously not a good one, but obviously one nonetheless.

If certain members can't work out humor, sarcasm and other subtly inferred nuance of the written forum joust without emoticons and emoji's, it's not your fault if they are just too dim.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Leave may have had the right idea - albeit unknowingly.  This phase of globalisation has just about run out of steam and may even present hazards in the future.  And can't the same be said for the rampant capitalism we have 'enjoyed' for the past few decades?

It's really about how we as a nation adapt-or not- to some major changes in the 21st century.  So far, we have had a reactionary, regressive lurch to the right and to the past.

Agreed. Great Britain has been and always will be a leading light in this increasingly benighted world.

• Haha 2