Wet Passport

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am even more of a bargain hunter than you. I don't use taxis from DMK and back. A1 bus from DMK to Mo Chit for 30 baht and BTS for 44 baht and then the reverse for the trip back. Faster than than taxis dependent upon the traffic.

Awesome... good tips for those on a budget.

Note to giddyup, THIS is the really relevant stuff.

• Like 1

A bit stable door but I NEVER put my passport in my pocket anymore having lost one that way from a supposedly closed cargo pocket. I know within 20 meters where I lost it but it was never to be seen again.

I keep it in the back compartment of a bum bag separate from everything else if I have to take it anywhere and also seal it in a small ziplock bag. That way if I do get wet for any reason the passport is safe.

I learned the hard way! ?

Whoops - apologies to U J but posted whilst you did!

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would still have your old one. They give it back after the application is done. 

Do you know if I still have to go to the British embassy to get a letter to show to immigration when making the changeover.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you know if I still have to go to the British embassy to get a letter to show to immigration when making the changeover.

They will give a blank signed and stamped form to fill out when you pick up your passport.

A bit more info is that you can have somebody pick up the new passport with your permission. They would though need your old one. If you know somebody in Bangkok they could do it for you. Old passport by EMS to them and then both of them back to you.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They will give a blank signed and stamped form to fill out when you pick up your passport.

A bit more info is that you can have somebody pick up the new passport with your permission. They would though need your old one. If you know somebody in Bangkok they could do it for you. Old passport by EMS to them and then both of them back to you.

I suppose an agent, like key visa, advertised here, would see to that.

Edited by Neeranam

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am even more of a bargain hunter than you. I don't use taxis from DMK and back. A1 bus from DMK to Mo Chit for 30 baht and BTS for 44 baht and then the reverse for the trip back. Faster than than taxis dependent upon the traffic.

Well Actually the 1st Trip I Was picked up by a Friend & His Thai Wife in his NEW Nissan Camry taken to VFS & Then returned to DMK All for FREE....It was only my 2nd trip I Had to SLUM it in Taxis as my friend was back in the U.K on Holiday.....Never even gave the Bus / BTS A Thought,Joe....

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They would but they keep your old passport until the new one arrives.

Thanks Ubonjoe, very helpful.

Would there be a problem renewing the passport when there is no clear Thai visa shown? Would you go to immigration first to get a new one stamped?

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Would there be a problem renewing the passport when there is no clear Thai visa shown? Would you go to immigration first to get a new one stamped?

No problem to get the new passport.

I don't think immigration would do a new stamp.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nong Khai Man said:

My Mate just got his new one back in 10 Days......Is This a RECORD ??

mine was about 10 days year before last. i think i put it in friday to trendy and got email back for pick up a week monday after. good service.

that passport was also water damaged, they were concerned with the photo on the main page. couldn't leave vietnam on one airline as they wouldn't let me through despite flying in with them less than a week before, got a ticket through  different airline and was fine.

thai immo were always fine but was once asked to show further ID once at swampy but they were fine too, used thai driving licence. in the end i knew it was getting to be a hassle so got a new one.

oh. if you're british the new passports are pretty well waterproof although stamps could be smeared.

i know this as i jumped in a pool with my new one not long after i got it. good quality

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Ok, thanks, it's a nightmare. I wonder if I can travel abroad with it?

Up to the immigration officers on duty wherever you land, a few might be sympathetic but even that's doubtful. Most would outright not accept it.

Sidenote, I read there's a change, coming sometime soon, to the international standards for passport production, for every country to use a type of paper which quickly disintegrates when wet, even one drop of water, coffee, etc., will cause the paper it hits to quickly disintegrate and cause a sizeable hole in that page and if it's a larger amount of liquid it will quickly cause integration down into further pages.

Plus production and sale of the new paper will be highly controlled internationally.

Plus there's a check coming that will facilitate immigration officials, any country, to do a quick check to test for fake passports printed on not-standard paper.

• Like 1

Just now, scorecard said:

Up to the immigration officers on duty wherever you land, a few might be sympathetic but even that's doubtful. Most would outright not accept it.

Sidenote, I read there's a change, coming sometime soon, to the international standards for passport production, for every country to use a type of paper which quickly disintegrates when wet, even one drop of water, coffee, etc., will cause the paper it hits to quickly disintegrate and cause a sizeable hole in that page and if it's a larger amount of liquid it will quickly cause integration down into further pages.

Plus production and sale of the new paper will be highly controlled internationally.

Plus there's a check coming that will facilitate immigration officials, any country, to do a quick check to test for fake passports printed on not-standard paper.

in my experience immo weren't the main problem it was the airline staff to even allow you to get to immo to board the flight in the first place

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

One more thing, my visa should not be affected, should it?

When I get the new passport, just take it to local immigration, and they'll have it on record. Last time, I don't think I had to pay anything.

I don't think you have a valid visa to be worried about.

They will do your current extension stamp and etc in the new passport. They will do a stamp with spaces for info about the visa you used to enter the country that gave you the entry that you have been extending and info about your old passport.

If you have any copies of you old passport pages it might help them do the stamps and they will want copies of it as well including the smudged pages.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I recently got a new one in 3 weeks. Not sure if allowed to say, but there are agents that offer this service, so you don't need to go yourself.

So did you go to an agent and get him to post it for you or did you post it to an agent rather than the embassy ?

There probably are people who are unable to post a letter or package so might need help. 

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Some bickering posts have been removed. The topic is about getting a new passport not how it got wet. Time to end it.

Quoting my earlier post to remind people of what the topic is about. Off topic posts will be removed without notice.

On 8/11/2018 at 12:05 PM, Neeranam said:

Ok, thanks, it's a nightmare. I wonder if I can travel abroad with it?

I ride motorcycles and  have  gotten my passport wet several times. I did not use to worry, but one time I was hassled at exit because they could not read my entry stamp. So, I guess the bottom line is to make sure all current stamps are readable; if not, new passport and visa time.

• Like 1

So I did the same thing in January of this year.  I had just gotten a reentry permit about to go out of country on holiday and in my excitement I washed my passport the day before leaving as it was still in my pocket from getting my reentry permit.  My only page that was still legible was the photo laminated page, my reentry permit was washed out.

I got laid into at Bangkok immigration when leaving saying that I may have trouble gettting back in.  Going to another country was easy as my first page was still in good shape.  

When I returned to Thailand and approached immigration at the airport I immediately apologiz f and explained that the very next day I would be at the Chiang Mai US consulate to order a new visa.  The officer stamped me in on my reentry permit thankfully and I got my new passport from us embassy in one week.

* I also ended up throwing out my old passport by accident before I received the new one, the consulate was nice enough to write me a letter explaining my stupidity and I had to get a police report in order for them to transfer my stamp to the new passport.  If you don’t lose your old one it’s quite easy to transfer the stamp

• Like 1