How safe is touring Thailand by motorbike?

sidjameson

Most people carry minimal levels of insurance coverage; in many cases bodily injury limits are capped at 100,000 baht or less per person, meaningless in the event of a serious disabling injury. Not to mention how many people have no insurance, which contributes to hit-and-run rates. Not to mention the epidemic of driving under the influence (alcohol and amphetamines). Not to mention free roaming dogs, improvised road infrastructure and repairs, drivers (especially truck drivers) who swerve out of their lane without warning, aggressive macho drivers who show poor spatial consideration for motorcyclists and cyclists, drivers who have vision problems, drivers who have never obtained a driver's licence, drivers who have lifetime driver's licences who really shouldn't be driving, etc., etc.

There are simply too many additional risk factors associated with driving in Thailand which make putting yourself at the additional risk of riding a motorcycle for long distance touring in unfamiliar territory extremely ill-advised. OP needs to watch Thai TV news for a week to get an idea of just how dangerous Thailand's roads can be.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You want some specifics?

Well almost every Thai is a loveable kind decent person, until they get behind the wheel, or on a motorbike.

Then they become wild/ crazed idiots.

How do i know? A crazed idiot here made me paraplegic, thats how i know, and that happened only 1 kilometer from my home.

I am sure you feel a lot emotions over what happened to you and I hope your quality of life continues to improve.

With respect, I did however ask for specifics relating to touring motorcycles around the country as was noted by the OP.

• Like 1

lots of tourists come here and ride motorbikes around.  Some that have never rode one before.  The great majority do so without any problem.  But there are those that do get into trouble.  It can be very dangerous to ride here even when experienced.  Wrong place at the wrong time no matter what you are in trouble.  There are around 60 or so deaths per day, so there must be thousands that are injured each day.  Always remember there is no such thing as right of way here.  Always be aware of your surroundings and expect the unexpected at any time.

• Like 1