Somtam scores number 5 in the world’s top 500 Lonely Planet Eatlist

webfact

Somtam scores number 5 in the world’s top 500 Lonely Planet Eatlist

By The Thaiger

som-tam-bangkok-860x573.jpg

PHOTO: Somtam, Bankok’s spicy contribution to the world’s Top 500 foodie finds

A list of the world’s top 500 gastronomic experiences seems an impossible task to put together. Lonely Planet have sent out their culinary aficionados and they’ve come back with rankings, 1 to 500. Bangkok’s somtam, the spicy papaya salad, made it into the top ten, number 5! Asian dishes fill five of the top 10 positions.

Pintxos in San Sebastián – the tapas of Spanish Basque country – have scored the number one position in the world’s top food experience by the tastemakers at Lonely Planet.

In the brand’s latest travel guide Ultimate Eatlist, editors, food and travel writers have created a master list of 500 of the most authentic world culinary experiences for your bucket-list.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/somtam-scores-number-5-in-the-worlds-top-500-lonely-planet-eatlist

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-08-16

A very good somtam, gai yang (grilled chicken) and kao nieow (sticky rice) is often hard to beat when you're in the mood.

Its also a Lao/Issan dish - nothing to do with BKK except it's popularity there.

Edited by thaiguzzi
  • Like 1

A very good somtam, gai yang (grilled chicken) and kao nieow (sticky rice) is often hard to beat when you're in the mood.
Its also a Lao/Issan dish - nothing to do with BKK except it's popularity there.
Does a "good somtam" include pla-rah and the little black crab?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The manic said:

The Lonely Planet Guide is Garbage.  Innacurate. Misleading.  And ruinous for the planet of travellers.

Putting the very ordinary Som Tam at #5 proved that. Case closed! I don't suppose the tester realises there are 100's of iterations of this dish. Perhaps the Lonely Planet testers are addicted to chili and can't tell the difference between one dish and the next.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

cures constipation good

Yeah, and if you're going to get a bout of food poisoning, this is high on the list of suspects. It's not bad at producing canker sores either.

16 hours ago, TKDfella said:

While doctors in Udorn are telling patients not to eat SomTam every day...in short it's gut rot.

No, incorrect.

They are saying don't use uncooked pla-rah which some households still use. This will give you eventually liver and/or kidney cancer.

Most households cook and/or boil their own made pla-rah (fermented fish sauce) prior to storing it in containers or jars. Perfectly safe.

I've noticed a particular bottled "mass produced" brand lately that seems to have become popular with cooks, again perfectly safe.

8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

No, incorrect.

They are saying don't use uncooked pla-rah which some households still use. This will give you eventually liver and/or kidney cancer.

Most households cook and/or boil their own made pla-rah (fermented fish sauce) prior to storing it in containers or jars. Perfectly safe.

I've noticed a particular bottled "mass produced" brand lately that seems to have become popular with cooks, again perfectly safe.

Nope, I am not wrong. I spoke personally with a doctor who was more concerned about excessive chili intake. The fish content varies according to taste and area but high levels of chili intake don't. Capsaicin is the active ingredient in chili and in regular large intakes can cause tissue inflammation. Metabolic rate is also increased.

Im guessing the result was based on food court variety of som tam which is a lot blander and actually tastes great.

Positive they were not talking about the hardcore gritty 10 chili made from a street cart. Only bar girls and moto taxis could find that edibale. never seen a back packer lining up for that and they will eat anything

3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Nope, I am not wrong. I spoke personally with a doctor who was more concerned about excessive chili intake. The fish content varies according to taste and area but high levels of chili intake don't. Capsaicin is the active ingredient in chili and in regular large intakes can cause tissue inflammation. Metabolic rate is also increased.

Really?

Must tell my 80 odd y/o gran to cut down on the chillies…. and her husband...

3 hours ago, badjoke said:

Im guessing the result was based on food court variety of som tam which is a lot blander and actually tastes great.

Positive they were not talking about the hardcore gritty 10 chili made from a street cart. Only bar girls and moto taxis could find that edibale. never seen a back packer lining up for that and they will eat anything

No, a good street vendor with a daily queue for her/his wares is what tastes great. Not the bland stuff. Food court? Jeez.

3 hours ago, badjoke said:

Only bar girls and moto taxis

Add me to that list.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, badjoke said:

Your guessing is exactly that, a guess. The fact you even say that the food court variety is good tells me alot. Hardcore 10 chilli's....Lmao.  And whats with the bar girl and moto taxi guy? They are people, with wives, husbands and children. They work hard and provide for their families. not everyone has the privileged life you have. You obviously dont get out much either, if you have never seen a backpacker eat som tam. Try and broaden your horizons pal. This is thailand, enjoy it.

@thaiguzzi 'Really?

Must tell my 80 odd y/o gran to cut down on the chillies…. and her husband...' You missed the point. It's a question of quality and degree. Som Tam is not the only food with chili is it. I am a strict middle of the road man whether native home food or Thai food I don't like to drown the taste on the dish in general by overdoing any ingredient. I have lost a friend here because he wouldn't heed advice about the amount of pepper and chili (pepper same active ingredient as chili). Every Day he ignored the advice (and stomach ache) until ulceration of the stomach killed him. Many of the older Thais I know eat Som Tam too but it is in moderation.