How did you meet your Thai wife?

Bangkok Barry

Through a friend (at the time) who was an English teacher.  I stayed with him for a few days each year at the beginning and end of my annual sex tourism (wife testing) trip.  His wife had a masters in English and my wife was/is his wife's auntie.  We were introduced after I had already met most of her family, including Mum & dad, by various means including carting them all around one election day in my teacher friend's truck.  He had to work that day.  Wife was 33 then and had worked for the same company for 14 years.  We spent nearly 8 years together in my country and now nearly 5 years here.  I had been separated / divorced for nearly 16 years when we met and had given up on ever finding a "keeper."

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:
9 hours ago, simon43 said:

Last week, while on a visit to BKK I saw my ex again, looking sad and sitting in Morning night Bar ?

Did you bar fine her?

pronunciation similar . 

"bar fined"

"bar find"

Edited by atyclb
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2018 at 9:49 PM, oxforddon said:

It is good to see that despite the naysayers there are many cases of a meeting a normal Thai lady who is not from where the bar stool crowd seemingly sit all day

Most of the guys claiming this are either demented or lying.

It's always the same old story, 60-year-old foreigner (speaking no Thai) claiming 40 (or under) year old Thai loving him for himself.

Who believes these guys? and why have I never met any of these wives?

The only Thai women I see (with foreigners) are hookers or gold diggers.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 8/21/2018 at 8:16 AM, helloagain said:

Many stupid men have met that way. Oh on earth can you be with somebidy like that let akone marry them and what makes me laugh is the lady in question thinks her poo does not smell 555555

Explain!

Dear Agony Aunt,

I came to Thailand in the hope of finding true love but after all this time it still evades me, what am I doing wrong?

I go out to the bars several times a week and I walk up and down Beach Road all the time but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, I mean, it's not as though I'm not trying. Some days I just hang around the shopping malls in the hopes of finding a nice girl who will be my wife, at other times I try to meet waitresses in restaurants but I'm at a disadvantage because I don't speak Thai. One time I got a date with a very promising young woman, we exchanged details and photographs via a dating website but when I showed up for our date she pretended not to know me and denied any knowledge of our online chats, I'd bought a new wife beater and flip flops just for the date, she walked away muttering "men" or something, does that mean she prefers women?

Perhaps you can help, what am I doing wrong?

• Haha 1

Summary of thread responses to question:

"Where did you meet your wife?"

non responsive/joke: 8 (18%)

bar: 8 (18%)

mutual introduction: 8 (18%)

internet dating site: 5 (11%)

hotel/restaurant: 5 (11%)

introduced by Thai coworker: 2 (4.5%)

employee of a friend: 2 (4.5%)

accidental encounter: 1 (2.2%)

introduced by overseas coworker: 1 (2.2%)

overseas: 1 (2.2%)

shopping mall: 1 (2.2%)

tour guide: 1 (2.2%)

coworker: 1 (2.2%)

Total: 44 (100%)

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2018 at 5:45 PM, darksidedog said:

Lol! I ran mine over. She lived in the same street as me, and walked out of her front gate as I was coming home. I had moved to the far left as a truck was coming the other way and ploughed her down as she bowled out without looking. One thing led to another. Funny the way love works really. You could say she took one look at me and was swept off her feet. :cheesy:

I shall quote you on this forevermore on subsequent Thai-bash driver/motoring topics.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

For the record, I am very fluent in Thai, consider myself to be presentable (BMI 26), have an engaging personality and sense of humor, have all my hair, am physically fit, in very sound mental and physical shape, financially comfortable, have been coming to Thailand since 86, and lived here continuously since 2003. I don't have an agenda or emotional stake in whether poster so-and-so met his wife in a bar or not. I'm just commenting based on what I have observed.

Totally agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Noted. Nonetheless, the points I made responsed to those - including you - who claim western-style courtship and dating in Thailand is easily pursued. It's not.

Oh wait, I never said it was easy, although, it's easier for some of us than for others I suppose. 

My experience is that most westerners who complain about not being able to meet decent Thai women simply get the basics wrong: they look in the places they know which is usually tourist areas; they forget that Thai women are the same as women almost anywhere in that they want clean, polite, well mannered, well dressed partners; they forget that learning the language is key and without that under their belt the failure rate is very high....those things are easy but they are easier for some than for others.

• Like 2

I can relate to some of what I read above but in Bangkok I have met Thai ladies who spoke French or German or Italian as well as English and not because they had a previous foreign boyfriend but because they studied abroad. (My own half Thai daughters have 5 or 6 languages between them.) I'm not saying it is easy to meet respectable girls but working in an office or large company helps as does having a few educated Thai male friends who know you well enough to introduce you to a wider circle of people. Years ago the stigma of being thought a prostitute was there but it is more pronounced perhaps these days but having said that there are a lot more Westernised Thai ladies around too. So much depends in which circles you find yourself in and which places you frequent. What I do object to is the cliché remarks from those who have never had the same experiences as those who did find a respectable wife.

• Like 2