How did you meet your Thai wife?

Bangkok Barry

Through mutual friends simply because we had both worked in the same industry.....

Her, Nissan - me, Toyota/Lexus .....She could interestingly only understand (translate) written english <work related instructions from Japan> at the time - (from which she would then instruct her Thai workers who were building electronic components)....

Took patience but she got it down pretty fast - comical for awhile....

The reading part both helped & hindered (nuance wise) going from technical to conversational....But, we got through it....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

A Thai friend of mine who lives in the UK organised a blind date for me whilst I was on holiday in Chiang Mai. She decided that a Thai wife would be perfect for me so she called around a few people to find someone suitable. The first I knew about it was the night before our 'date', although in fairness it wasn't really a surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Which one? I have had three. I still curse the day I met the first two. 

I think both must have been on their way home from a witches coven.

Yep, or maybe you just made the wrong choices!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, oxforddon said:

She was a friend of a Thai work colleague and had recently returned from UK finishing school, working as a lawyer's secretary in Bangkok. Many decades ago and now long since divorced.....

Was that the Lucie Clayton finishing school?

In a bar !!!....  Yes, the stereotype is true !

... I met my Wife through one of my closest friends, a Thai guy I've known since my early 20's.... it was his Birthday party... we were in a bar, well, a Thai style nightclub... 

....my future Wife, close friends with my friend's wife also joined the party... I saw her walk in, asked my friend about her, she was single... We chatted, I could tell she was smitten with me.. 

The following day I phoned my friends wife to ask her for this girls number... She had to call up my future wife and explain.... "its just a date, he's a nice guy, just have dinner with him, its not as if you are going to marry him or something"...  my future wife yielded, gave permission to give me her number... 

I called... We went on a date the next evening, a few more dates and its looking good... a few years later we are married... 10 years on we are married with child....

... similar stories are not uncommon amongst my friends who were introduced through other friends... 

• Like 1

Met the Mrs in seacon square in bkk. She worked in two shops next to each other. A ladies leather shoe stall and a make up stall. I spotted her wechat ID on the wholesale info marketing label on the shoes and made a habit of passing the shop and talked to her on wechat. Was not easy to begin her English was 5% and the rest she was using a translator. Today she speaks 50-60% and as a bit of fun we do spelling tests which is a great way of demonstrating how much she has learned.