More staff issues ,be warned

kannot

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

I agree with this.

I have 2 old ladies that do my weeding, work all day long, no bother at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

agree entirely but finding them is difficult and weve tried, got  posters  all round the area up to 15km out laminated an  tied  up at markets, shops everywhere...........few  calls  mostly unsuitable ie worked as a  waitress etc.

• Thanks 1

I think the biggest problem is you Kannot, you are a falang and what I have found is that there is a lot of resentment towards any falang that tries to hire Asian males to work for them. It only appears to be with the males so my suggestion like a couple of others have suggested is to only employ females but even there you need to be very careful with what females you employ. Good luck

• Like 1

I will bet that of the 1000:complaints on TVF about Thai employees, not a single one of them ran a National Credit Bureau report on a single prospective employee.  

Edited by moontang
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, moontang said:

I knew a guy working as a laborer on earthquake retrofitting.  He was earning 8 USD per hour, but that was 25 years ago, and....the guy was on work release from the Alameda County Jail.  You are paying 2 bucks per hour and are trying to come across as a philanthropist?  Didn't do your homework.  Ever consider a tractor?

I don't think Kannot's farm is anywhere near Alameda.   

• Haha 1

It has nothing to do with you being a farang, or even the amount you pay. It is just difficult to get decent casual/unskilled staff to stick to the job. 

Can you 'contract' out the work? What I mean by this is to employ a Thai supervisor/farm manager at a higher salary (say 800 Baht a day) and let him/her do the hiring and firing, as well as making sure the work is all done to an agreed standard. 

You could even work out a weekly budget with him/her (including wages for staff) and let him/her manage the budget. There might be an incentive here to work more efficiently and earn himself/herself a bit extra. Of course, you would need to stay involved for the first few weeks to make sure too many corners aren't cut..

Of course, it might all end up in tears, but it could save you some aggro.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I think the biggest problem is you Kannot, you are a falang and what I have found is that there is a lot of resentment towards any falang that tries to hire Asian males to work for them. It only appears to be with the males so my suggestion like a couple of others have suggested is to only employ females but even there you need to be very careful with what females you employ. Good luck

yeah last one said she thought I was going to hump her...............I kid you not, she was 60, told her Sister this but fortunately her Sister knew her too well

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

It has nothing to do with you being a farang, or even the amount you pay. It is just difficult to get decent casual/unskilled staff to stick to the job. 

Can you 'contract' out the work? What I mean by this is to employ a Thai supervisor/farm manager at a higher salary (say 800 Baht a day) and let him/her do the hiring and firing, as well as making sure the work is all done to an agreed standard. 

You could even work out a weekly budget with him/her (including wages for staff) and let him/her manage the budget. There might be an incentive here to work more efficiently and earn himself/herself a bit extra. Of course, you would need to stay involved for the first few weeks to make sure too many corners aren't cut..

Of course, it might all end up in tears, but it could save you some aggro.

Really I only need  one decent person, two is so they dont get bored, as weve had all that crap too.

• Thanks 1

There is no secret or tricky ways. That’s how it is for most people including myself who actually really have a business here, not an imaginary one.

getting staff is a nightmare, keeping staff is a nightmare and putting up with stupidity is even bigger nightmare.

what I am saying is that you can not win, only dismiss and hope new lor would be better .

i just got rid of one, who worked for less than 2 months and has cost me in actual losses about 45000 baht.

this is the money she intentialy caused for business to loose.

for example , customer wanted a taxi , we have our own car, she sent customer to find out outside , my loss 400 baht .

she has done it at least 3 times.

had company call to reserve 12 rooms , she told them do not have , that’s s loss of 15000 baht per day

All I am saying is hang in there , everyone is in the same boat.

And ignore all the retarded comments about paying more. By paying more you only get more applying , not better quality.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kannot said:

Myabe but If  I want it done properly  I have to do it, ive tried  the other way and you just get a slapdash damn awful mess.

I made the mistake of hiring an out of work chap who lives adjacent to our 3 plots of land, previously I did all grass cutting, tree felling by myself. We agreed a daily rate, I gave him the grass cutter, he was unable to start it, I did that for him. I went off and cut some branches etc, and came back to find him with his feet up in his hammock. it was very hot day, admittedly. I said I would return at 4 o’clock, when I did he was drunk. None of the work he did was up to scratch, and he cared not one bit. So I am back to doing it all by myself, did 3 hours this morning, before the rain set in, and Chappie is still swinging in his hammock, and still unemployed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BestB said:

There is no secret or tricky ways. That’s how it is for most people including myself who actually really have a business here, not an imaginary one.

getting staff is a nightmare, keeping staff is a nightmare and putting up with stupidity is even bigger nightmare.

what I am saying is that you can not win, only dismiss and hope new lor would be better .

i just got rid of one, who worked for less than 2 months and has cost me in actual losses about 45000 baht.

this is the money she intentialy caused for business to loose.

for example , customer wanted a taxi , we have our own car, she sent customer to find out outside , my loss 400 baht .

she has done it at least 3 times.

had company call to reserve 12 rooms , she told them do not have , that’s s loss of 15000 baht per day

All I am saying is hang in there , everyone is in the same boat.

And ignore all the retarded comments about paying more. By paying more you only get more applying , not better quality.

Running a business here would drive me bonkers, it's bad enough getting them to pull weeds / dig holes / clean stuff...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

Wouldn't be astonished, if that "Manager" would hire them for 200 baht and put the difference in his own pocket ...

• Like 1

We had some Thai's working with us in Vietnam. They were not paid peanuts unless you call Baht 10,000 a day plus food, accommodation and transport all paid for as peanuts. First few days they turned up on time and seemed ok. Note they did not work directly with me but one of the other disciplines. After a few days the were asking where the Thai's were. They would come in around 9am, we started at 7am, and then they couldnt be found half the time on site.

Yes there are some very good Thai workers but the majority are not what you would call good

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Kannot do your staff meetings go anything like this? :cheesy:

I'm sorry, but I have to admit that after watching this clip and reading every belligerent and no nonsense reply fromKannot - There is no way that I would even consider working for him. Wow! I can see why he has problems...…..!

• Haha 1

I hired a woman to run the office and paid her 40K /month it was a small operation I later found out that she was going to the Sport City complex for 2-3 hours each day whilst I was away dealing with the engineering side. So money was not an issue she was also not lazy if she was working out for 3 hours/day but like Kannot I believe if you try to be kind on any level they see it as weakness and not kindness.

Kannot can you hire a Foreigner I would not mind those terms.   

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

Wouldn't be astonished, if that "Manager" would hire them for 200 baht and put the difference in his own pocket ...

usually exactly what a labor overseer does....just like an insurance company..maximize income while minimizing expenses...integrity goes out the window.

21 minutes ago, moontang said:

usually exactly what a labor overseer does....just like an insurance company..maximize income while minimizing expenses...integrity goes out the window.

As long as the job gets done...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, upu2 said:

We had some Thai's working with us in Vietnam. They were not paid peanuts unless you call Baht 10,000 a day plus food, accommodation and transport all paid for as peanuts. First few days they turned up on time and seemed ok. Note they did not work directly with me but one of the other disciplines. After a few days the were asking where the Thai's were. They would come in around 9am, we started at 7am, and then they couldnt be found half the time on site.

Yes there are some very good Thai workers but the majority are not what you would call good

f me 10000 baht a day is more than i was earning in the UK   -- that is big money

• Haha 1