More staff issues ,be warned

kannot

Unfortunately, OP doesen't know me. To know me is to love me.
Otherwise he would have hired me a long time ago, as I can do all the things required. Also can step-dance an do a nice Frank Sinatra impersonation.
Only thing that's confusing me, is that his "handle" also mentiones something like "Staff Whipping Pompous Ass Member".
With proper instructions, I could do that too.
Cheers.

On 8/23/2018 at 5:28 AM, JaiLai said:

Treat them like a Thai boss would, you think they'll be loyal to you for you being nice - they won't, they'll see it as weakness and take the piss.

This is what I am doing and it seems that it even excite them to know how little respect I have for them, because i treat my dogs better than them, but still, they are here... (until they kill me maybe)

On 8/23/2018 at 2:43 AM, fanjita said:

Pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys.  Oh, and improve your security.

" . . . free  house, electric, water, motorbike, rice  5  day week 18000 baht two people Thats 450 baht a day + perks . . ."

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I'm sorry, but I have to admit that after watching this clip and reading every belligerent and no nonsense reply fromKannot - There is no way that I would even consider working for him. Wow! I can see why he has problems...…..!

I very much doubt that there is any similarity!!!!!!!!!!!!  You should try employing staff in Thailand

Edited by The Deerhunter

18 hours ago, moontang said:

I will bet that of the 1000:complaints on TVF about Thai employees, not a single one of them ran a National Credit Bureau report on a single prospective employee.  

Dont waste time with that  rubbish, we ask for id  card  copy  then call our  policeman friend  who comes back to us with any "previous"  sometimes its  quite  illuminating, last pair both took and sold  yaba  (  2 years jailtime)and theft...........sacked 2  days after starting stating why

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I'm sorry, but I have to admit that after watching this clip and reading every belligerent and no nonsense reply fromKannot - There is no way that I would even consider working for him. Wow! I can see why he has problems...…..!

I think for you I could make an exception and step up my game to include............... the bayonet?

• Like 1

Some good  replies here and the usual tosh but to be expected, formulating  a plan now to deal with this crap, plan 1 stake staff to floor cover in jam and let the ants loooo.....................no no sorry

2 By wifi extender and extend wifi range to pond get another wifi camera ( have 4  already) make a point of saying looks like fish stocks are down maybe a neighbour is sneaking in at  night but with this new camera with battery back up ( not  true) and  good  night vision ( true) lets see....I'll get wife to  casually mention  all of this, will also get the policeman who comes here to casually mention the last staff and invent some fish stealing story and some dire consequences where the farang went crazy ape  shit with them and took it to court etc.

I will treat them like crap as  well, I usually  buy them at least 1-2 drinks a day when we are in the sun working, that now ends, Ill still keep smiling at them though.

Work ethic has dropped off now and they are getting lazy, Ive been away 5  days and  theyve done bugger  all, my problem is  i have to go to the Uk in 3  weeks  for 6  weeks, we have another man who can come aged  52 but we dont know him, maybe better the devil for the next 2  months.  If  not Ill hire him whislt Im away. For those that dont know me ( arent you lucky) My wife lives in BKK and comes here every 2  weeks so someone has to be here all the time hence  staff need to live in.

They have 6  weeks to completely get all the weeds  out of the pineapples, If  I come back and find no change and 3-4 foot  high weeds  then the Wifes sister  will come and take over their job (not really but thats the BS  story we'll spin them) then hire someone else but at "MY convenience"

I think my  biggest problem is i do empathise  about weed  pulling but from now on its ferk em, as my wife says "dear for them is  normal work in the heat" for me  its quite  hard.

The sad thing is if I stay with them theyll work well, soon as im gone sit on their <deleted>.

Time to toughen up for me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Irishrogue said:

I hired a woman to run the office and paid her 40K /month it was a small operation I later found out that she was going to the Sport City complex for 2-3 hours each day whilst I was away dealing with the engineering side. So money was not an issue she was also not lazy if she was working out for 3 hours/day but like Kannot I believe if you try to be kind on any level they see it as weakness and not kindness.

Kannot can you hire a Foreigner I would not mind those terms.   

sometimes its tempting but the local  village  gossips  would be  all over that, they make up enuff  crap as it  is

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Aah bless those nasty locals dont respect me.

Typical paternalistic arrogant caucasian twaddle.

'I give them a job on just above minimum wage and these goddam coolies throw it back in my face'.

No wonder so many of these wonderful people look on us with disdain.

I can imagine the OP walking around wearing a pith helmet ti match his plus fours and riding boots smoking a big pipe.

your  imagination aint  so good then, keep dreaming

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

You and I have discussed this very problem before and mostly our experiences are carbon copies of yours.  However, we currently employ a semi feral Husband & wife couple who live locally and do not want the free house.  They have their own place on a few rai only a 1/2 K away. They are pretty low working class and both are on Ya ba.  We are paying them 350 a day each and she comes most days and he works between catering work he does for another guy doing weddings and funerals.  But they both work very hard, her in particular.  They have useful skills because they also run their own land and extraordinarily, they use their initiative and do extra things without being asked to.  We in turn go the extra mile and do bits and pieces for them and help them, looking after their daughter while they work and buying the odd clothes for them when my wife sees things cheap.  The daughter is the same age as my wife's  sister's kid next door and they are in the same class at school.  The staff seem to be intelligent enough to realize that employers and jobs like us and what we offer are hard to find.  They have an established lifestyle and what we offer fits in better than anything else they have tried.  We still need a house keeper but the wife worker is not suitable to d it.  She is an outside girl, head down all day.  Sometimes I think it is too good to last but I sure hope it does.  They even work hard when we are not here.   I will not see you before your trip but we will catch up in a couple of months.   Hope this does not stuff up your trip.  You have already had that in the past.    Cheers

Cheers  back November 1 hope immigration dont stop me with my pith helmet and plus  fours, + riding crop. Welcome any time

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 2:32 AM, kannot said:

Staff here have been an issue  for a long time, even local Thai business owners say getting even  half decent  staff is a nightmare, today we had the latest lot decide stealing the fish was ok despite us giving them some every 2-3  weeks

Theyve been here about 2 months, initially ( as usual) they start off well , then they get "comfortable" and start taking liberties.

So before the "brigade"  chip in with their, "you dont pay/give  enough"  Ill explain the job. Taking care of 10 rai of pineapples and 4  rai of garden, watering trees weeding etc.

Job includes, free  house, electric, water, motorbike, rice  5  day week 18000 baht two people Thats 450 baht a day + perks. I also buy them 1-2 drinks daily ie coke or fruit drink etc I also do 75% of the work with them, that is  shovelling stone mixing concrete moving soil etc.I dont just sit and watch or tell them to get on with it

Hours of work 7-12 then 2  hours  lunch ( can be hot on the land so this  leaves the hottest time for resting) then 2  till 5pm

What w e no w  have is 7-11.15 and then maybe 2-4pm

They were shown exactly  how to do everything numerous times but now do things how they want.

We had a lot of big fish  about 250 large, when you threw the fish  food all you would see was gaping mouths, now what you see is only small fish who never used to get a look in.

I suspected  fish were being taken a  few  weeks ago so I tied the catch net up a certain way when i went to BKK, sure enough when I came back the net had been re  tied, in the same place but my small knot like a bow  wasnt there.

Got the wife to  call him and ask had he touched  the net at  all, he said no, she then said  Id   tied it a certain way and it wasnt  like that now,.then his memory recovered and he told us it had  "fallen down". and he'd  put it back, before  she  called i told her hes going to say "no" then he  will say "  fell down"

I know it was  impossible for the  net to fall down as it was  tied in two  places and also over the bar it hung from wa s lapped over itself and would not slip ever, held by its own weight. Metal chain around the edges = heavy catch net

Its  now over 6  years since weve lived here and the staff are just a nightmare, the kinder you are the more they think they can get one over on you.

I provide and make the  job as easy as is  possible, every tool is there to make it easy, we have petrol powered hedge  cutters no hand  clippers to cut the hedge, all trees  are on sprinklers,  little hand watering, reduced the workload to 5  days etc.

If you are  thinking of getting some land my advice is save your sanity and DONT., weve had them all and none have been "different" same modus operandi in every case, so far had Burmese, Laos and Thai

All just get up and  leave without  any notice at all, the excuse is always "Mum dead/ dad dead/ Mum sick etc etc

Finding any staff now to work on the land is  nigh on impossible, Burmese no longer want this work and the new govt rules are a nightmare for foreign workers.

Weve placed ads  all round the area with the salary and when they call they all say they have experience of working on the land , yet when they arrive its a different story entirely, one guy told me he could lay  blocks, so i let him do a few ( I can) and the result wa s just hilarious. clearly never laid a block in his  life.

So tomorrow  Ill sack the staff "again"

I even asked for staff on TV and two folk turned up but were nothing like how the man who sent them described, they made a tortoise seem fast, weve had  drugs users (yaba) drunks, and some very lazy people.

Many round here dont get much over 300 baht a  day although construction workers get about 500, we  offer 450 -500, many simply dont want a job many want money for nothing too.

Now....tell me how your staff are "wonderful"

So how much do you want for someone to take this whole lot off your hands? The 14 rai, the accommodation, your home. The lot.

• Haha 2

For a outdoor under the sun type of job, you would need to pay 600-700 baht per day for workers to work. Folks here don't give a damn, foreign labor is getting pickier by the day too, thai laws are actually benefiting the foreign labors allowing them to switch jobs easier. 

I know a car wash that pays 13000thb Khmer coming from Cambodia to work in Thailand, and still,  they often leave because washing cars is not an easy job !

And because Burmese often speak English, they prefer to work in hotels and resorts, but I do not know how much they get ? Too much for sure ?

If I were you I'd sell most of the farmland and just keep the house 

Seems like too much daily stress to get someone reliable to manage it and its not going to get easier as you get older

Thailand is for relaxing, you could put your money in the stock market and relax instead of dealing with yaba smoking, fish stealing alcoholics on a day to day basis

" . . . free  house, electric, water, motorbike, rice  5  day week 18000 baht two people Thats 450 baht a day + perks . . ."

Actually, that’s 300 a day. Once an employee passes their probation period the government mandates they get paid for 30 days.

23 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Actually, that’s 300 a day. Once an employee passes their probation period the government mandates they get paid for 30 days.

Did you see the quotes? It was the OP's statement, but I used it to somewhat discount the statement that the OP was paying them peanuts. I believe it still does, even at only B300/day since they have the added bennies of house, electric, water, bike, and rice.  Don't you?