Air delays: You can get 1,200 baht compensation before getting on flight, says legal eagle

webfact

Air delays: You can get 1,200 baht compensation before getting on flight, says legal eagle

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A top Thai lawyer has gone online to give advice to passengers about their rights when flights in Thailand are delayed.

Ratchaphon Sirisakhorn was referring to legislation issued in 2010 that protects passengers' rights on domestic travel on Thai carriers.

He said that when flights are delayed as much as 5-6 hours the airline must give each passenger 600 baht before they get on the aircraft.

If the delay exceeds six hours then they must pay you 1,200 baht and give you a night in a hotel.

Shorter delays like 2-3 hours mean the airlines must provide food and drink as compensation and allow free communication.

Delays over three hours mean people can get full refunds or change destination airports without incurring financial penalties.

If the destination airport is a cheaper fare they are entitled to a refund of the difference.

The rules apply to domestic passengers who have paid for flights in which the passenger has already checked-in.

Ratchaphon said that this kind of compensation was something that passengers didn't really want to think about due to the frustration of delays but was available nonetheless.

Daily News reported on the lawyer's pronouncements from his "Sai Trong Kotmai" page.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-23

52 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

Best laugh I've had all week. I'm absolutely certain the bulk of airline personnel in Thailand would be unaware of these rules and even if they were, unable to deliver said comms, vouchers, money and accommodation.

It is not difficult to arrange, but TIT - so it is virtually a non starter even before it happens.

I recall about 20 years back in Sweden an international flight was to be delayed by a couple of hours, I was handed a meal and drink voucher as I checked in, no drama or hassle - - "Smooth as Silk" - no, it wasn't Thai Airlines. 

My wife is currently in the U.K. she flew out of BKK two weeks ago to London Heathrow only to find her connecting flight to Manchester had been cancelled and the next available one would be 48 hours later due to her being wheel chair assisted BA had to put her up in one of the hotels at Heathrow the total cost to them for room and two meals was more than 15,000 baht they could of put her in a taxi to get her home for less than that . Now she is waiting for a refund for her missed flight and the expenses incurred in our daughter having to do a 8 hour round trip on top of that she has her AXA Thailand insurance which covers delayed flights as well as cancelled flights she can claim both as she was intialy told her connection flight was delayed that’s why I always get her the insurance at a cost of 2,000 baht it’s well worth it .

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

My wife is currently in the U.K. she flew out of BKK two weeks ago to London Heathrow only to find her connecting flight to Manchester had been cancelled and the next available one would be 48 hours later due to her being wheel chair assisted BA had to put her up in one of the hotels at Heathrow the total cost to them for room and two meals was more than 15,000 baht they could of put her in a taxi to get her home for less than that . Now she is waiting for a refund for her missed flight and the expenses incurred in our daughter having to do a 8 hour round trip on top of that she has her AXA Thailand insurance which covers delayed flights as well as cancelled flights she can claim both as she was intialy told her connection flight was delayed that’s why I always get her the insurance at a cost of 2,000 baht it’s well worth it .

Mate your on about BA in the uk.

This is about domestic travel in Thailand by a Thai carrier.

This lawyer needs to read a little more and learn the law.  I tried to google him and guess what....... no hits.

The International Air Carriage Act does not cover what he believes.  Also the rules are different depending on the carrier.  If the carrier is from the EU then EU rules apply which actually is far better than what he says!

As Trump would say "If you want a lawyer then don't hire this guy"

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

This lawyer needs to read a little more and learn the law.  I tried to google him and guess what....... no hits.

The International Air Carriage Act does not cover what he believes.  Also the rules are different depending on the carrier.  If the carrier is from the EU then EU rules apply which actually is far better than what he says!

As Trump would say "If you want a lawyer then don't hire this guy"

That's funny,   thought it was about, domestic travel in Thailand via a Thai carrier.

i could be wrong ?

18 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

That's funny,   thought it was about, domestic travel in Thailand via a Thai carrier.

i could be wrong ?

I stand corrected.  Yes he was talking about domestic flights.  Sorry.

Well done "top Thai lawyer" giving folks another opportunity to knock Thailand ?

Try claiming compensation at ANY airport in the world, they will All give you the run around ?

Singling Thailand out is getting ridiculous.......................... why I have to wonder ?

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yeah.. rules are one thing and applying them in Thailand is another where most of the times you will be met with googoo eyes if you ask for compensations....

Exactly.

Being on the books doesn't guarantee complied gestures.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Ratchaphon Sirisakhorn was referring to legislation issued in 2010 that protects passengers' rights on domestic travel on Thai carriers.

Wouldn't it be nice if this lawyer had given a link to the "legislation issued in 2010".

3 hours ago, CGW said:

Well done "top Thai lawyer" giving folks another opportunity to knock Thailand ?

Try claiming compensation at ANY airport in the world, they will All give you the run around ?

Singling Thailand out is getting ridiculous.......................... why I have to wonder ?

Not really. Flew back from Norway on SAS to Gatport Airwick ( business ) with a connection to Aberdeen. Take off was delayed and missed the flight to ABZ, last one that evening.

At Gatwick I jokingly said to the SAS desk 'the Hilton will do for tonight' 

Answer was no problem Sir. 

Nice dinner and drinks etc and breakfast cost me 00 point nothing blank.

First flight in the morning to ABZ.

10 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Not really. Flew back from Norway on SAS to Gatport Airwick ( business ) with a connection to Aberdeen. Take off was delayed and missed the flight to ABZ, last one that evening.

I meant (though I didn't say it ? ) shorter delays, if it was a daytime flight or 4, 5, or 6 hours delay during the daytime they are a lot less accommodating, same as when they misplace your luggage, they will offer nothing. China, especially domestic atrocious for this! least in my experience ? 

If the flight is delayed overnight generally they are ok, though often slow to react - Thai airways take note!

Archived