2 hours ago, andygrr said:

I don't know how statute of limitations works you say 7 years have passed but I take it that is from purchase of the bike. If the loan was for say 3 or 4 years then surely only 3 or 4 years have passed since the loan defaulted.  Does this affect S.O.L date

Default happened 6.5 years ago and it was considered settled after the bike was returned 6 months after purchase. No warning from the company came until 6.5 years later.

27 minutes ago, Sprigger said:

If she’s a good friend don’t be a Cheap Charlie, come on a miserable 15000 baht pay it off for her. And tell her not to be so stupid in the future but she is Thai and probably won’t listen. 

You are assuming I have a money tree, not all are flush with cash.  She has the money to pay. But close your eyes and imagine how you would feel after believing was all settled and a company called you years later. Most would tell em to go and jump in the lake. I don't blame her for that.

A close Thai friend years ago guaranteed a loan fr one of his sisters. He’d forgotten all about it until he was contacted at work. He guaranteed it, she didn’t pay so he’s responsible. It was 800k. What he was able to do though was negotiate a settlement figure if he paid it quickly which he did.

28 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

A close Thai friend years ago guaranteed a loan fr one of his sisters. He’d forgotten all about it until he was contacted at work. He guaranteed it, she didn’t pay so he’s responsible. It was 800k. What he was able to do though was negotiate a settlement figure if he paid it quickly which he did.

I think in this case the company has not made a loss so aren't so much interested to compromise. I think someone at the company found some details on their computer and think they can go for a cash grab. They are not providing original  paperwork. I think they have little chance because they left it so long and did not follow procedure. It seems my lady friend is not the only irresponsible one.

If a compromise payment was offered I still think she wouldn't pay. The only way is if she was summoned to court. Then she would consider.

33 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I think in this case the company has not made a loss so aren't so much interested to compromise. I think someone at the company found some details on their computer and think they can go for a cash grab. They are not providing original  paperwork. I think they have little chance because they left it so long and did not follow procedure. It seems my lady friend is not the only irresponsible one.

If a compromise payment was offered I still think she wouldn't pay. The only way is if she was summoned to court. Then she would consider.

If it’s a legitimate agency claiming the debt she most likely will end up in court with noses the debt is deemed to small. I wish her luck but the bottom line remains that she guaranteed the loan

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

If it’s a legitimate agency claiming the debt she most likely will end up in court with noses the debt is deemed to small. I wish her luck but the bottom line remains that she guaranteed the loan

Agreed. But the bottom most part of the line is the company left it past the s.o.l limit. They wont be granted a case. Especially if they dont hold the correct paperwork. Wait and see.

It seems that friend genuinly thpught all was closed after the bike was returned many years ago.

Thanks again for everyones input.

If you dont hear from me its most likely its all blown over. Or my plane has crashed while heading back to oz.

Stay safe.

Archived