It's now illegal to abandon animals at temples

rooster59

Nuppol Suvansombut

soi_dog_Thailand.jpg

BANGKOK, 24th August 2018 (NNT)-People are being urged not to abandon their pets at temples or face legal charges under the Cruelty Prevention and Welfare of Animal Act and the Wild Animal Reservation and Protection Act. 

The Sangha Supreme Council of Thailand received a letter from the Thai Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (TSPCA) asking it to prevent people from abandoning their animals at the monasteries. 

The growing number of forsaken animals at temples has also prompted the TSPCA to promote better animal treatment and raise awareness of the legal consequences the pet owners could face for leaving their animals at the temple. 

To solve this problem, the Sangha Supreme Council of Thailand has instructed all temples to ban animal abandonment and trade on their premises. Anyone caught trying to do so will receive a maximum fine of 40,000 baht and a jail term of up to four years. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-25

Another day, another pointless edict that as @petermik rightly says will be completely ignored along with thousands of others.

On the general topic of animal welfare, most Thai's are totally ambivalent to the plight of animals. The concept most of us have of pets, is you care for them, keep them safe; that is a rare thought process for a majority of Thai's

At best, animals get fed, at worst they are just left to roam the streets, breed constantly, further exacerbating the problem, and lead a pretty pitiful existence, until they die

So, cant dump at the local Wat. Who cares, just dump them on the side of the road and let them join the hoard of roaming soi dogs and feral cats

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

To solve this problem, the Sangha Supreme Council of Thailand has instructed all temples to ban animal abandonment and trade on their premises. Anyone caught trying to do so will receive a maximum fine of 40,000 baht and a jail term of up to four years.

Trade???

What do they mean? Trading in animals?

or setting up stall, fairs, or running businesses from temples? 

39 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Only problem is, there are no shelters. So there will be more dogs set out in the streets.

Time for this government to build some nice animal shelters. It would solve a lot of the street dog problems.

I do not think this is something for government... In most countries this is done by charities.

If Temples keep animals they should register as zoos or safari parks,

46 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Only problem is, there are no shelters. So there will be more dogs set out in the streets.

Time for this government to build some nice animal shelters. It would solve a lot of the street dog problems.

Indeed.  It yanks the rug out from under the process without a net below.  Typically a function of government, and that requires money and manpower to staff up a national "Dog Catcher" Animal Control department.   It's a tax money pit, nothing to be made in return, so we'll see if the "gubmint" steps up to the plate.  Hmmm. ?

1 hour ago, brucegoniners said:

There are no government shelters in the uk either for example. By the way there are government shelters in Thailand and badly run and an impossible solution to the soi dog problem Thailand has. Possibly the worlds most famous dogs and cats home is battersea. A charity not funded by the uk government. 

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thai Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The TSPCA simply making matters worst in a typical do-gooder way.

Animals at a wat have a source of food and often the monks will actually care for them. 
The alternative?  Animals abandoned on the road or simply killed.  So that's what do-gooders have managed by pushing for these laws -- they make matters worse.  Congratulations!  Now for reality  The law is pretty much unenforceable.  That's a good thing.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Why not make it illegal to abandon domestic animals anywhere!

I'll just answer my own question. Doesn't matter, it all gets back to that policing thing that is non-existent around here! 

5 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Soi dog foundation Phuket:

167/9 หมู่ที่ 4 Mai Khao 10, Tambon Mai Khao, Amphoe Thalang, Chang Wat Phuket 83110

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

Trade???

What do they mean? Trading in animals?

or setting up stall, fairs, or running businesses from temples? 

Why not. 

Wouldn't be far from what's practiced at any Wat today.

They exist to be associated with extended profitable business in one form or another - and, generally speaking, the monkhood has become an income deriving job, less a spiritual calling.

This overt angst regarding stray wat dogs and their supposed increasing overpopulation can be a bit misconstrued, as 75% of the stray population don't survive through very long. Natural order is in full swing. The issues are created, per usual.

On the general topic of animal welfare, most Thai's are totally ambivalent to the plight of animals. The concept most of us have of pets, is you care for them, keep them safe; that is a rare thought process for a majority of Thai's
At best, animals get fed, at worst they are just left to roam the streets, breed constantly, further exacerbating the problem, and lead a pretty pitiful existence, until they die

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is very, very, true...I av 2... 3y old small bro n sis de-sexed...Most lovable dogs anyone could have...I av to go bk Aust...this year n it tears my heart out what will happen to them in comparison to the way they were bought-up by a farang...

No one in the village gives a damn about their dogs n it saddens me to see the wretched skeleton animals in every street..... every day...

Thai motto.........  1659181488_THAIMOTTO.jpg.d0713048b7687024cfa07020110349f7.jpg

On 8/25/2018 at 10:29 AM, rooster59 said:

ban animal abandonment and trade on their premises.

Dog on it; I loved the idea I could 'free' a bird or two and make up for damages to a bird or two. I still afraid of rabies in Thailand, even the rabies you get from temple dogs.

2 hours ago, tagalong said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is very, very, true...I av 2... 3y old small bro n sis de-sexed...Most lovable dogs anyone could have...I av to go bk Aust...this year n it tears my heart out what will happen to them in comparison to the way they were bought-up by a farang...

No one in the village gives a damn about their dogs n it saddens me to see the wretched skeleton animals in every street..... every day...

Thai motto.........  1659181488_THAIMOTTO.jpg.d0713048b7687024cfa07020110349f7.jpg

Hi,

It’s surely not impossible to get them back to Aus?

Try this link to Patrick Bundock. Don’t know if he still operates in Thailand land though. Shamu pet store Bangkok know him well

http://k9bangkok.com/k-9-air-transportation-services/

There are ways and means.

8 minutes ago, tagalong said:

MR E..     Thank u very much for this info.....I will follow-up on this contact n see what can be done...Cheers...Mudguard.

When we moved back to the USA we used Boonma to ship our cat. They arranged everything.

I tried to convince myself that the cost wasn’t worth it for one small cat, but the thought of leaving her in Thailand was just too much to bear.

Email Khun Tiddy at Boonma

[email protected]

If you’re shipping to Australia I think it’s somewhat harder than for us, since if I remember from some other threads you need to have them quarantined in a third country before importing to Australia

22 hours ago, tagalong said:

See my response about shipping animals

Success will depend on each individual temple. The monks in one of the temples in my municipality are very anti-dog. To the point that when the vet and public health officials came to give the dogs the rabies vaccine only one monk would help round them up. He told the officials that he is seen as an outsider and the other monks are trying to move him elsewhere as they do not want the dogs there. So a temple like that would probably be quick to call the authorities if someone tried to dump new dogs. 

Temple in my immediate village is the complete opposite. Ring the bells for all the dogs to come and eat. 

On 8/25/2018 at 3:47 PM, brucegoniners said:

Shelters? Round them up and put them down!

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

I believe euthenasing a dog is legal and vets do it in thailand. Is that correct?

I think they use nembutal poison.

Can i buy this in thailand?

If you find a source, please post it here or send a PM.

Archived