Landlord not returning rent deposit

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Show up at his house, make a great nuisance of yourself, and demand the return of your deposit. Alot can be accomplished here by causing embarrassment to someone, if they are being irresponsible. Also, you would be able to determine if he is actually sick, or just making an excuse. I have known multi millionaires here, who bicker over the tiniest amounts of money. And they say we are cheap? 

I don't know where his house is. He knows i am a tourist and probably leaving.

You'd think he would be worried that i might break something worth more than 5k?

10 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Forget the deposit, turn all the electrics and water on, put fresh prawns in as many hiding places you can and have a good flight home.?

And if you are feeling really naughty, a bag of ready mixed cement down all the pipes and toilet.

I'm not sure you're getting too much useful advice from some of the seemingly lobotomised TV "experts". Nothing to be lost by asking your landlord when it will be convenient to visit him and collect your deposit. If that fails then yes, a conversation with the Tourist police might prove worthwhile.

Good luck,

Regards,

Joe

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Forget the deposit, turn all the electrics and water on, put fresh prawns in as many hiding places you can and have a good flight home

Pla Ra down the back of the settee works a treat.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

I'm not sure you're getting too much useful advice from some of the seemingly lobotomised TV "experts". Nothing to be lost by asking your landlord when it will be convenient to visit him and collect your deposit. If that fails then yes, a conversation with the Tourist police might prove worthwhile.

Good luck,

Regards,

Joe

To add to the post...the landlord could easily send the refund to your phone (no excuses of being ill)

I had the same trouble two days before flight home. Deposit was 18.000 THB. The real estate was sick, far, busy, not answer calls, emails, sms.  Just disappeared.  His business card shows a ghost address
I had one day to go to tourist police  and they just translated my words in thai  and after I must go to Police headquarter. Just waste of time.    Farang vs farang, they are not interested.
One year after, with many effort, I fix a fake meeting with that ''gentleman''.  Lazy police was present but not helpful.  I was able to get back 50% 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mstevens said:

And slip a pair of handcuffs on your own wrists while you're at it.

Although my post was tongue in cheek, why would he be arrested,  accidentally left the lights and taps on,  dropped food, not really a criminal offence.  Moot if the OP has already left the country 

• Like 1

He shouldn't give the deposit back until he or someone else inspects the condo. Communication is the best way forward, if that fails consider other action.

Some landlords get used to farangs just walking away without the deposit, so maybe he's hoping for that

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

No, that's the last thing anyone should do as it just encourages these despicable little thieves to do it again.

The answer is to complain loudly to anyone who will listen and the report the landlord to any official body that seems relevant (police, tourist police, city hall, office of consumer protection, internal revenue department, ministry of tourism, media ......).

He's still not going to get the money back. Wasting time on it would be, well - a waste of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some landlords get used to farangs just walking away without the deposit, so maybe he's hoping for that

In my experience it's all landlords.

First house I rented required a 6.5k deposit. Thai landlady would only give me 50% when I left. Her excuse was that I'd made alterations, those alterations being sealing all the gaps in the kitchen to prevent ingress of ants, cockroaches and lizards, all of which were a problem when I moved in. Also added extra sockets in the kitchen. Told her that I would remove all the additions and she wouldn't be getting any keys (I'd changed the locks when I moved in). Returned my full deposit.

Second house I rented belonged to an English guy but in his sister in law's name (has several houses here in different names for tax avoidance purposes) and required 2 months deposit (32k). Signed 2 one year contracts with him and gave him 4 months notice half way through the second contract. Told me that I wouldn't be getting any of my deposit back because I was in breach of contract as I would be leaving before the end of the year. I cut up rough with him and he threatened to take me to court and call the police if I didn't continue to pay the rent. Told him to go ahead as he had much more to lose as he didn't declare the rent on any of his properties to avoid tax. He normally resided in the UK and I had his address so told him that I would visit his UK address (I was due to return for a short visit shortly after I moved) and "deal" with him there. Returned half my deposit and allowed me to live there for the last month rent free.

They always try it on and there are always ways of dealing with them.

• Thanks 2