New passport and overstay

A friend of mine has a several year overstay(for what I consider valid reasons, all negative commenters save your vitriol for Trumps' legal team) and he needs to get a new passport before leaving the country. My question is; should he go to Thai Immigration with the new passport and tell them about the overstay or just show up at the airport and present the new passport and say the old one was lost? I'm wondering if Immigration would want to detain him right then and there but also if he showed up at the airport with a new passport even though he's ready and willing to pay the fine would they let him leave then?

Thank you for your(helpful) input! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

I believe he will need to show up at the airport with both old and new passport so that Airport Immigration can calculate the amount of fine he has to pay before allowing him to leave the country.

What if it was lost/stolen the old passport so only has the new? 

7 minutes ago, DavidB4 said:

What if it was lost/stolen the old passport so only has the new? 

He would need to take the Police report along , report of the lost passport .

He wouldnt be allowed to leave Thailand on a PP with no entry stamp .

I would guess. he have to pay the 20'000 baht fine… then he should be able to leave.

But of course he also would have denial of entry for probably 1 year or more.. but this probably he knows and if he not want come back in the next few years I not see a problem. As long he is not catched before arriving at airport.

I see some reports of people go airport with overstay, then pay fine, blacklist and then fly out. Only go early enough to handle the fine.

The visa gurus here will reply shortly, I imagine.

But DavidB4, if your friend arrives at the airport and does not report himself on overstay, the consequences are severe, including jail. Following that is a multi-year ban on re-entering Thailand.

For reference, a friend with a new passport and number re-entered Thailand on a 30-day visa waiver and his name came up on the system as entering too many times. He was given a warning.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Moved to here.

Best to go to the airport and leave the country after paying the 20k baht overstay fine. Going to a immigration office could end up with him being sent to the immigration detention center.

A police report will be needed to for the lost/stolen passport or he will not even be allowed to check in for his flight. 

I assume he is aware that he will be banned from entering the country. It will be 3 years for an overstay longer than a year, over 3 years it is 5 years and over 5 is 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for mostly helpful posts! He's going to fly to Cambodia and pay the overstay at the airport. Does anyone know if it's ok to do that at Don Muang Airport and how early immigration is there(can you call the airport and ask them) since I've heard you need to give them extra time to process it. There's a 6:30am flight that's the cheapest....

2 minutes ago, DavidB4 said:

Thanks for mostly helpful posts! He's going to fly to Cambodia and pay the overstay at the airport. Does anyone know if it's ok to do that at Don Muang Airport and how early immigration is there(can you call the airport and ask them) since I've heard you need to give them extra time to process it. There's a 6:30am flight that's the cheapest....

Immigration is open 24 hours a day at Don Mueang.

He should allow a extra 30 minutes after checking in for his flight to clear immigration.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration is open 24 hours a day at Don Mueang.

He should allow a extra 30 minutes after checking in for his flight to clear immigration.

Did Cambodia not have restrictions admitting people with Thai overstays or is that clear now?

5 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Did Cambodia not have restrictions admitting people with Thai overstays or is that clear now?

As far as I know they never had any restriction when entering by air.

Only Laos was reported when flying Lao Airways for denying boarding to those with overstays a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Only Laos was reported when flying Lao Airways for denying boarding to those with overstays a couple of years ago.

Ah, OK maybe it was Laos I was thinking about.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yah Laos airways made me withdraw 10 or 20K THB + sign a paper saying that i had sufficient founds for my trip to LAOS and that they won't be responsible if i was kicked out by LAOS immigration just because i had a 10 hours overstay.

Exactly the same thing happened to me years ago, i had a brand new passport with no stamps in it because i lost my old one, and during the time waiting for the new passport i went into an overstay and then just put it off for over a year. Luckily this was years ago and before they were banning people from re-entering the Country for overstays.

He needs to book his ticket, and get 20,000 baht ready for the airport, get there nice and early because they took ages working out how to do it, as i had no stamps in my passport they had to use the computer. So long as his ticket is booked and he is leaving the country and has his 20,000 to pay they will let him go but now he will be banned for however long his overstay is.

He must buy his ticket and report to immigration WHEN LEAVING that way he wont get in trouble.

• Like 1