DIY aound the house-Any danger work permit wise?

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Even not worth the time replying.

Do your own homework, that particular story is widely covered in the local press and Thaivisa

Its an urban myth and your not doing anyone any favours by repeating it. 

There is probably a headline that reads as such, but the actual story will be a guy that was under surveillance (they dont do random patrols looking for people sitting in bars), was actually working etc, but on the day he got arrested was just sitting at a table or making a coffee etc..

I would be more than happy to be proven wrong but am yet to see one of these stories that doesnt pan out to be actually working. 

Edited by Peterw42

8 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The Thaivisa search function  is for me as useful useless as for anybody else.

When i search for "foreigner arrested for sitting in bar" i don't find anything like that

Edited by jackdd

53 minutes ago, jackdd said:

if you just don't pay you would be released the next day.

You may well be released but it wouldn't be next day imo. If they did that kind of easy give away, who would respect their power?

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

For example painting a house is the profession of a "House painter and decorator" in which OP would be engaging when painting the house and if somebody gets paid or not doesn't matter according to Thai law

Under this logic would I be voilating Thai law for cooking my own food?.... :coffee1:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Well I know 3 stories first hand, one of them even has its own thread as it was in the newspapers.

1. Man sits in bar. Not his own bar. Beer delivery guy comes delivering, and he helps them unloading the beer boxes. Arrested

2. Man sits in his own bar in soi 7, of course not in his name, and sits at the corner of the bar and is checking the bills from the day before. Arrested and deported

3. Man sits in his bar on Soi Bhuakhow, doesn't do any work any time, but every day sits in the same location near the street, which is a long table where 15 - 20 people can sit. Arrested and passport seized. He wasn't deported but it has taken months to  get his passport back, so I guess some arrangements were made.

And how do those relate to this topic about doing DIY jobs around the house? Not nearly the same as doing something at a bar.

Off topic IMO. So enough of the posts related to your post.

11 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Under this logic would I be voilating Thai law for cooking my own food?.... :coffee1:

It's not out of the question for the authorities to say anything, but one would hope it be included in daily routine like brushing teeth. Painting is not daily routine.

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

My friend has a Thai wife.  She has a bar/restaurant.  He scrupulously avoided any sort of 'work' in it.  He was picked up by Immigration 'Police' who observed him making himself a coffee in the bar's kitchen; the bar wasn't open.  It cost him 50K.

Posts such as this one put many people in a state of panic.

I personally think there must have been more to the story.

Perhaps even you weren't told ALL the details

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

You're right about the state of panic.

Since one foreigner got nabbed at my condo, the falangs are tiptoeing around the hallways.and All falangs off committee. Lay low is the way to go.

37 minutes ago, stud858 said:

You're right about the state of panic.

Since one foreigner got nabbed at my condo, the falangs are tiptoeing around the hallways.and All falangs off committee. Lay low is the way to go.

What was the guy caught doing ? Was he arrested for being on the condo committee ?

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What was the guy caught doing ? Was he arrested for being on the condo committee ?

A photo was taken of him carrying a glass door into the lift. He had upset a Thai and the fine was payback.

He could have spent a few days in jail and proceeded to court, but he preferred to pay and move on. This scared all other foreigners into hiding. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, stud858 said:

A photo was taken of him carrying a glass door into the lift. He had upset a Thai and the fine was payback.

He could have spent a few days in jail and proceeded to court, but he preferred to pay and move on. This scared all other foreigners into hiding. 

Are you saying a Thai person took a photo of a guy carrying something, took the photo to the police, who then came out to the block and issued a fine for working ?

Sounds like another, not the whole story.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

You asked the wrong person. The department of employment says what is work and what is not, not an immigration officer.

That is not necessarily true. It is immigration law that stops us from working. If an IO came across a foreigner selling fruit at a market stall they could arrest that person and prosecute them under the immigration act. The department of labour/employment wouldn’t need to be involved.

The department of labour issue permission to work and enforce alien employment law. 

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Guy not far from me sitting in 'his' bar and his serving wench went to the toilet. Two expats walked in and he went behind the bar and brought two bottles to them. Two Thai guys produced ID cards and took him to the local poky. Started at 50,000 but ended up asking 20,000 and he was back in the bar the next day.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:
2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Probably yes

Anyone that believes cooking your own food breaks Thai working law losses any credibility. Utter scaremongering and nonsense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Guy not far from me sitting in 'his' bar and his serving wench went to the toilet. Two expats walked in and he went behind the bar and brought two bottles to them. Two Thai guys produced ID cards and took him to the local poky. Started at 50,000 but ended up asking 20,000 and he was back in the bar the next day.

Serving drinks in a bar you own is clearly working. Doing that gives corrupt police all the power they need to shake someone down.

It is not the same as doing DIY at home.

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

That is not necessarily true. It is immigration law that stops us from working. If an IO came across a foreigner selling fruit at a market stall they could arrest that person and prosecute them under the immigration act. The department of labour/employment wouldn’t need to be involved.

Afaik police in Thailand can only issue fines which have been clearly defined and don't exceed a certain amount (was recently in the news regarding the high fines for not having a driving license which can't be issued by the police, and also with the 100k THB fines for smoking at the beach which can't be issued by the city). So for any harsh fines this would go to court, and if the court is not sure if what the foreigner did can be considered work they would consult the department of employment for their opinion.

18 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Stories such as this happen.  The footnote is as the bar was popular in the area, it is my personal opinion that my friend was dobbed in by a jealous rival.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Stories such as this happen.  The footnote is as the bar was popular in the area, it is my personal opinion that my friend was dobbed in by a jealous rival.

Which leads me to think that if I was the only person left on planet things would be nice. 

Btw. Last Man standing tv show worth a watch

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 5:05 PM, jackdd said:

For example painting a house is the profession of a "House painter and decorator" in which OP would be engaging when painting the house and if somebody gets paid or not doesn't matter according to Thai law

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about 

On 8/31/2018 at 7:58 AM, stud858 said:
On 8/31/2018 at 7:41 AM, mikebell said:

My friend has a Thai wife.  She has a bar/restaurant.  He scrupulously avoided any sort of 'work' in it.  He was picked up by Immigration 'Police' who observed him making himself a coffee in the bar's kitchen; the bar wasn't open.  It cost him 50K.

Yes, 50k. That seems to be the magic number. 

Well, if Mikebell's friend wants to pay Immigration police 50k for making himself a cup of coffee in his wife's bar, that's on him. If guys give in that easily, next time they'll ask for 100k. I would immediately call my lawyer. Enough is enough when it comes to blatant corruption like that. People need to have a good lawyer handy in a country rife with this level of corruption. It should be the first thing you do when you get off the plane.

Edited by tropo
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2018 at 5:05 PM, jackdd said:

Painting one's own house is one of the most common DIY tasks that homeowners do. It's not a profession unless you're a tradesman out there seeking work. I'll guarantee no one would pay me to paint, even though I could muddle through and paint the odd wall if I needed to.

It's not easy to find good painters here. Most of them are lazy and don't do the hard work of preparing the surfaces before painting, and it starts peeling off in a year or so. You'd have to stand there watching them all day. I can't find good plumbers, or electricians or any tradesmen in Pattaya. Sometimes you have no option other than doing it yourself. I fix a lot of things myself I'd rather not but I just have to. No one wants to fix anything. If it's broken, get a new one.

Edited by tropo
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Agreed - but where do you find one who is any good and/or costs less than the 50K demanded?

This is the only REAL problem with rats in uniform.

They know what what they ask you (being for illegal work or even drug) is what it will cost you (at least) to fight the legal way, so to avoid hassles, better pay them than a lawyer.

If they would ask more, they could go F their mom.

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Agreed - but where do you find one who is any good and/or costs less than the 50K demanded?

Yes, it's VERY hard to find a good one... all the more reason to research it early before you actually need one, which according to Murphy will be when you least expect it. A bad one recently cost me well in excess of 100k. I've got a very good one now. PM me if you're in Pattaya and you need one.

Edited by tropo

6 minutes ago, gaff said:

This is the only REAL problem with rats in uniform.

They know what what they ask you (being for illegal work or even drug) is what it will cost you (at least) to fight the legal way, so to avoid hassles, better pay them than a lawyer.

If they would ask more, they could go F their mom.

I disagree. If I was in the same situation, a quick call to my lawyer would have ended it and I would have paid nothing. They know if you have the right kind of backup it's best to leave you alone. They know they are scamming, so they won't take changes of anything heading to court.