Trump seeks to backtrack on 2017 comments on Comey firing

webfact

Trump seeks to backtrack on 2017 comments on Comey firing

By Susan Heavey

2018-08-30T112533Z_1_LYNXNPEE7T0P5_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during an event at which he announced a "drug-free communities support program grant in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., August 29, 2018. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump sought to backtrack on comments last year in which he tied his decision to fire FBI Director James Comey to a probe into Russian election meddling, accusing NBC News on Thursday of "fudging" their interview, but offering no supporting evidence.

Trump made his accusation as the man who took over the federal Russia investigation from Comey, Special Counsel Robert Mueller, digs deeper into a probe that has already led to a series of indictments of former Trump aides.

Trump fired Comey on May 9, 2017, a move that Comey said later was aimed at undercutting the probe.

The Trump administration said at the time of Comey's dismissal that the president had acted on the recommendation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and No. 2 Justice Department official Rod Rosenstein.

In an interview with NBC Nightly News anchor Lester Holt that aired two days after the firing, Trump accused Comey of being incompetent and noted the recommendation, but also raised the issue of the Russia investigation, saying he was thinking of "this Russia thing" when he fired him.

In a Twitter post on Thursday, Trump accused the news outlet and Holt, of "fudging my tape on Russia," but gave no evidence to back up his claim.

In addition to looking into Russia's alleged interference in the 2016 presidential election, which Moscow denies, Mueller is investigating any collusion with Russia by Trump's campaign and any attempt by the president to impede the probe.

The Comey firing could be central to a potential obstruction of justice case. Legal experts have said Mueller's team must weigh whether the president acted with an improper, or "corrupt," intent when he took actions such as firing Comey.

Trump has denied any collusion with Russia, or any obstruction of justice. He has said since the interview with Holt that he did not fire Comey over the federal probe.

Trump said in the Holt interview, "regardless of recommendation, I was going to fire Comey knowing there was no good time to do it And in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself — I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. It’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should’ve won.”

Representatives for NBC News, part of Comcast Corp, declined to comment on Trump's tweets on Thursday.

Representatives for the White House did not respond to a question about Trump's accusation.

ATTACKS ON NEWS MEDIA

In the most dramatic day yet in the Russia investigation, federal prosecutors last week secured the conviction of Trump's former campaign manager for financial crimes and a plea agreement from the president's longtime attorney that included pleading guilty to campaign finance violations.

Trump, in a string of tweets last week, said he had nothing to hide from Mueller's probe.

Trump's tweets on Thursday were his latest attack on the news media. He has repeatedly called critical reports about him "fake news" and on Thursday he also called for the firing of CNN's president, Jeff Zucker.

Representatives for CNN, owned by AT&T, declined to comment.

U.S. news organizations have pushed back against the stream of criticism from Trump.

Federal authorities on Thursday charged a California man with threatening to kill Boston Globe employees for the newspaper's role leading a defense this month of press freedoms by hundreds of news organizations.

Shares of AT&T and Comcast did not move on the president's tweets.

(Reporting by Susan Heavey in Washington and Ken Li in New York; Editing by Susan Thomas and Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-31
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

He is so disconnected from the truth

We're told he's playing 4-D chess, when in reality he's simply eating the checkers.

But I think that after he meets with Rudy Ghouliani they come up with some talking points, most of which seem bent on tearing down any potential Obstruction of Justice charges, and eliminating any witnesses (Bruce Ohr, who prosecuted the Russian Mob/Putin's comrades is the current target - see said tweet storm). 

• Like 2

He is mentally ill he is trying to incite the deplorables to violence (anyone who truley believes his bs is deplorable) I do not take joy in saying that just lie after lie a very dangerous time for us all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

He is so disconnected from the truth that he has made the unbelievable a normal matter of everyday life. That he is still supported gives those of us on the outside a frightening view of American politics.

This "frightening view" of American politics is not hyperbole.  These Trump supporters are not only nutty, they're freakin dangerous.  Like this guy....

[(LOS ANGELES) — A Los Angeles man upset about The Boston Globe‘s coordinated editorial response to President Donald Trump’s attacks on the news media was arrested Thursday on charges he threatened to kill the newspaper’s journalists, who he called an “enemy of the people,” federal prosecutors said.]

http://time.com/5383632/donald-trump-editorial-death-threat/

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Trump will absolutely lie about anything and everything.  Many times he'll have plausible deniability, i.e., no tapes or videos of what he said.  But this is an incredible example of EVEN WHEN there is a video of him saying something, he denies it.  The most troubling aspect of this is that some/many of his supporters will believe him.  What the heck is wrong with these people????   

Actually, most of his supporters say they don't care, that the things he's done aren't important to them. And people wonder why we leave...

• Like 1

I highly recommend the book by Craig Unger, House of Trump, House of Putin, if you're interested in the Trump family's connections to the Russian mob/government (there is no real difference) going back 40 years. Let me know if you need to borrow a copy. I have it in any of the digital formats.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

U.S. President Donald Trump sought to backtrack on comments last year in which he tied his decision to fire FBI Director James Comey to a probe into Russian election meddling, accusing NBC News on Thursday of "fudging" their interview, but offering no supporting evidence.

Then he also needs to backtrack what he told Russian officials in the Oval Office on May 10, 2017:

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/trump-russia-comey.html

Maybe next he'll deny he even knew who the FBI Director was until just recently!

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Trump will absolutely lie about anything and everything.  Many times he'll have plausible deniability, i.e., no tapes or videos of what he said.  But this is an incredible example of EVEN WHEN there is a video of him saying something, he denies it.  The most troubling aspect of this is that some/many of his supporters will believe him.  What the heck is wrong with these people????   

Yes it is hard to understand how his supporters can keep track with the constant U-turns and contradictory lies.  They can't all be stupid enough to believe the constant rantings of an imbecile like Trump, can they?  

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

My sincere apologies to my American friends; I know that many (a majority!) did not vote for him, but he is the President of the US, not simply the President of those who voted for him.

And we're doing everything possible to get this criminal out of the Whitehouse.  I have a theory, and maybe it will be quickly shot down on this forum, but most of the people who voted for Trump, are not the kind of people that travel to Thailand or anywhere else for that matter.

I have not been back to the US in years and the last time I was back I was in New York and California.  I did not meet a single person who voted for Trump.  Not one.  I will be back shortly for a quick visit to America's "heartland".  Maybe I will actually meet a Trump supporter. 

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump seeks to backtrack

He never backtracks. He just comes out with a newer "Truth" and his followers just pivot right along with him without even blinking.  Rudy is also good at releasing new "truths" without any coherent pattern. Just like those "choose your own adventure" books. This current WH administration has decided on a "choose your own reality" strategy.  When one truth doesn't work, just pick another one. Facts are malleable.