Phuket: Phoenix fails to rise

webfact

Phoenix fails to rise

By The Thaiger

S__121356291.jpg

The attempt to bring the Phoenix up to surface has failed again due to ‘uncontrollable factors’.

The Phuket Marine Office says that divers were trying to attach the ropes around the boat as well as trying to maneuvre larger orange ropes to make into a knot to attach to 200 litre floatation tanks.

A large balloon is used to balance the boat whilst raising the boat from the floor of the Andaman Sea to prevent any damage to the boat.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phoenix-fails-to-rise

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-08-31

9 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Will the Phoenix rise from the ashes? Will it be sold and renamed "Forever Lucky"? They seem to be struggling to refloat it, maybe using the wrong amulets or not enough incense sticks.

maybe the right amulets but not enough "belief"

This is what happens when you try to do it on the cheap,

using 40 gall oil drums,it's also looks very dangerous,could 

result in even more deaths,they need to get proper floatation

bags,maybe use the old Blimp,but maybe has too many leaks?

regards  Worgerdie

They are trying to do it on the cheap.

If tomorrow it can't be raised as well, I have been told they are forced to give the order to a professional salvage company, which will of course mean that a much, much bigger part of the 10 mio budget will be used for the operation.

56 minutes ago, stevenl said:

They are trying to do it on the cheap.

If tomorrow it can't be raised as well, I have been told they are forced to give the order to a professional salvage company, which will of course mean that a much, much bigger part of the 10 mio budget will be used for the operation.

you beat me to it. 10mil. baht budget.....100k for the drumms, rest for other expences.

8 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Stalling tactics?? Maybe they do not want it raised in case damaging forensic evidence is discovered.

No, don't think so. Just wrong people trying to raise it, so others can make a lot of extra money.

1 hour ago, tompelli said:

There's a lot more damage they can do ...it could come up like a jigsaw puzzle.

This looks to be a real Heath Robinson set-up in depths of 150 meters which not be taken lightly. I suggest a 750 CFM compressor connected to a pig with air hoses running down into bulkheads or hatches which will need a long bottom time to achieve. Then close the watertight doors/hatches and bring the boat up in a controlled manner that's if the vessel actually has watertight doors /hatches and bulkheads that could withstand the pressure. 

1 hour ago, tirekicker said:

This looks to be a real Heath Robinson set-up in depths of 150 meters which not be taken lightly. I suggest a 750 CFM compressor connected to a pig with air hoses running down into bulkheads or hatches which will need a long bottom time to achieve. Then close the watertight doors/hatches and bring the boat up in a controlled manner that's if the vessel actually has watertight doors /hatches and bulkheads that could withstand the pressure. 

I don't know where you got the depth as 150 meters, it's actually at about 45 meters.

Ops......... sorry I actually meant 50 meters, 150 meters is sat territory. Still, 50 meters will require wet & dry stops for a decent working bottom time and to get the job done safely. The nearest chamber being in Phuket town hospital and too far away.

6 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Time for the Governor or Police chief to lead a team to raise it, that's how they get things done, yeah. 

Call in the troops, the army troops that is. They're probably better at things like this than trying to run a country.

2 hours ago, tirekicker said:

Ops......... sorry I actually meant 50 meters, 150 meters is sat territory. Still, 50 meters will require wet & dry stops for a decent working bottom time and to get the job done safely. The nearest chamber being in Phuket town hospital and too far away.

Interesting point, I wonder if the new Chalong hospital, near the pier, will have a decompression chamber. I know BPH has one but I've never seen the room open.

When I was a student diver my "buddy" suddenly popped up to the surface because she overinflated her vest. Got her back down, but the next day she developed some symptoms so the Dr referred her to Fremantle hospital where she spent a number of hours in their chamber. Interesting experience once the worry was alleviated.

32 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Interesting point, I wonder if the new Chalong hospital, near the pier, will have a decompression chamber. I know BPH has one but I've never seen the room open.

When I was a student diver my "buddy" suddenly popped up to the surface because she overinflated her vest. Got her back down, but the next day she developed some symptoms so the Dr referred her to Fremantle hospital where she spent a number of hours in their chamber. Interesting experience once the worry was alleviated.

International, BPH and Vachira have decompression chambers. Don't think the new hospital will have one.

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

International, BPH and Vachira have decompression chambers. Don't think the new hospital will have one.

But do the chambers you talk about have a current Hyperbaric Test Certificate and do they have competent operators, and what Tables would they use.  

54 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Possibly omitted decompression and US Navy Diving Table 6 needed.

13 minutes ago, tirekicker said:

But do the chambers you talk about have a current Hyperbaric Test Certificate and do they have competent operators, and what Tables would they use.  

Yes, they do.

My personal preference would be BHP or Vachira due to operators and tables used.

Archived