14,000 taxi drivers arrested in 12 months: police

snoop1130

14,000 taxi drivers arrested in 12 months: police

By The Nation

0c7f09218b0557ca9a6d3be1375a17f0.jpeg

File photo

More than 14,000 taxi drivers have been arrested and fined for breaking the law, including refusing to accept passengers, during the past year, a deputy tourist police chief said Friday.

Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal, deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police Bureau, held a press conference in Phaholyothin with the Land Transport Department to announce results of the operation to clean up the taxi trade launched last September.

Surachet said police from several agencies, including tourist police, and 191 Special Operation police and officials of the Land Transport Department, have been enforcing the law against taxi drivers so passengers would not be exploited.

Surachet said 4,811 taxi drivers were arrested for refusing to accept passengers without justification, which violated Article 93 of the Land Traffic Act.

The police officer added that 3,277 drivers were arrested for refusing to use their meters and forcing passengers to pay an excessive fare.

He said 6,159 others were arrested for violating parking bans, failing to dress properly and other offences.

Surachet said 489 of the drivers had their public vehicle licences revoked.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30353440

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-8-31
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JAG said:

That's a jolly good disguise that undercover policeman on the extreme left of the picture is wearing.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

0c7f09218b0557ca9a6d3be1375a17f0.jpeg 

Hey!

Be nice!

That is the head of the RTP physical fitness division.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Very good....reminds me of Simon on The XFactor and how he likes to make fun of people too.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said 6,159 others were arrested for violating parking bans, failing to dress properly and other offences.

Have taken a number of taxis in Bangkok and have never even noticed the driver's dress.  You cannot drive a hack and not get a parking ticket.  Almost half were fined due to petty offenses or the cost of doing business as a cab driver.  I drove taxi's through college.  Getting a parking ticket meant nothing.  This isn't news.      

Since the Nation has changed hands, the news has become bland and unenlightening.  This article is a perfect example.

Edited by yellowboat

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Meanwhile in Pattaya there are NO meters anywhere!  Pattaya Plod's record is, I think, 2 publicised arrests!

In addition to the above Pattaya police were quick to report that all taxis would no longer be able to wait at the end of beach road leading up to the lights at walking street end of beach road, this did happen for a short while but I notice the taxis are back once again with no hassle from the plod.

• Haha 1

And these were only the ones that were “caught”. 

It beggars belief that refusing ro pick up a passenger is an arrestable offence when serious crimes are let go. As always in this God forsaken place, nothing ever adds up. A good example: Note the number of lost licenses against the number arrested!

Edited by Tradewind777
Typo

14 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

That's only the tip of the iceberg.

4811/365 is 13 refusing passengers per day.

3277/365 = 9 cheatings with meter per day.

489/365= 1,3 revoked licence per day.

There are about 150000 taxis in Bangkok. The whole multiplied by 20 tours in 24 hours x 365 days.

1.100.000.000 tours per year.

So at all 14.000  detected violations cases (including wrong parking tickets) per year are a small number.

14000 sounds great but it is only a drop in the ocean.

Not quite sure how you arrive at your figures (150,000 taxis in BKK; half a million drivers), but with your 1.1 billion tours/year (BKK alone, right?) that would make for 17 tours/year for every single Thai person plus visiting tourists. 

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

There are about 150000 taxis in Bangkok. The whole multiplied by 20 tours in 24 hours x 365 days.

So at all 14.000  detected violations cases (including wrong parking tickets) per year are a small number.

Its probably much worse than you suggest.  These figures could be from Thailand as a whole.  Bangkok has the 150,000 taxis you quote.  I have no idea how many taxis in the rest of Thailand but BKK must have the lion's share.  Also it is like when a serial burglar or career drug dealer gets caught for the first time.  It becomes the first recorded offence.  For every offence imagine at least 20 to 100 times they did it and didn't get caught.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Most rides are uneventful, which is exactly what I want.  But drivers who swerve through traffic to reach me hailing them; only to roll down their window and reject my destination, should be strung up by their testicles.  

I had a p.o.s just dart off at my request to go around the corner to Tesco; a fifty baht fare.  It was the manner in which this skinny somchai just dismissed me, flicking his hand with no eye-contact.  I let him know by pounding on his trunk as he passed.  Oops. 

He returns barking about wanting to go to the police.  Yeah, tough guy with a machete under his seat, I'm sure. 555 bunch of pussies, some of these guys.

Edited by falangjim
  • Haha 1

I not often get issues on taxi

the common one is to refuse to take you

i stay in the taxi and force him to take me

thought in this case I make them stop away form my private house

one never know how resentful they could be 

never had to call tourist police

my thai is good

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, JAG said:

That's a jolly good disguise that undercover policeman on the extreme left of the picture is wearing...

Not really, I have seen overweight Thai police, it's not that uncommon, there was a very overweight policeman interrogating a motorist in a photo on Thaivisa only last week.

How many of the Maj Gens are not overweight? With the money they make, you can bet they are living a life style of no exercise and plenty of food and wine etc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

More than 14,000 taxi drivers have been arrested and fined for breaking the law, including refusing to accept passengers, during the past year

That would be more than 1000/month have been put behind bars. Don,t believe it. Fined maybe, but jailed, noway.

21 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

my recent trip to Bangkok yielded on average the 4th or 5th driver that would accept me on the metered fare.

• Thanks 1