Phuket Immigration - 24 hour address reg. now asking for copy Chanote

I have a retirement extension, with a multi-entry permit. I recently returned to Phuket after a trip abroad.

I went to Phuket Town Immigration office to carry out the requisite ‘24 Hour Address Registration’ (as I have done maybe 6 times in the past 8 months). I have never overstayed, reported late, or had any issues with Thai Immigration. 

I provided the copy documents I have always been asked for:

The Notification Form for House-Master etc.

Passport title page

Entry stamp and departure card

Landlord’s Tabien Baan

Landlord’s ID 

Copy of my lease contract

I also provided the (relatively newly required) Power Of Attorney, signed by my landlord and with the proper Revenue Stamp.

The IO spent a good 10 minutes scrutinising all of the documents, then grudgingly accepted them and gave me a new 90 day reporting date. 

But before he gave me my passport back, he said that from now on it is also necessary to provide copies of the front and back of the chanote for my rented house (or first and second pages, never having seen a chanote I don’t really know what they consist of).

To say that my (friendly and helpful) Thai landlady was taken aback would be an understatement. She was utterly incredulous. She explained that the chanote is stored at the bank, and she is not even sure if she can get a copy.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

21 minutes ago, SE23inPhuket said:

But before he gave me my passport back, he said that from now on it is also necessary to provide copies of the front and back of the chanote for my rented house (or first and second pages, never having seen a chanote I don’t really know what they consist of).

Never hear of that being needed for unless the owner is not Thai. The owners house book is enough for a Thai.

• Like 1

I used mine for proof of address.  I am the condo owner....had no bills at the time...she did copy the contract page part.  A tenant using it....weird..always seems like they might be going after tax evaders.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Never hear of that being needed for unless the owner is not Thai. The owners house book is enough for a Thai.

She is Thai. 

Interesting to see if anyone else has this, otherwise I will just hope for the best next time I have to report.

In Jomtien, for a 1-year marriage-based extension, you need to either:

1) Use an agent and pay 10x more (and don't worry about this, or having the financials, or anything else, the agent-supplied brown-envelope takes care of it)

2) Supply what you listed plus the house-book of where you live as well as the sale-doc (to the current owner), which should have the dimensions, etc on it (may be what they call the chanote?).  Also, if the house-book is "too old" they will say your landlord has to go to an amphoe and get a new one for you.

Someone else reported they were hit with the same thing in Jomtien for a 60-day marriage-based extension. 

Sorry to hear they are doing this in Phuket also, now. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SE23inPhuket said:

But before he gave me my passport back, he said that from now on it is also necessary to provide copies of the front and back of the chanote for my rented house (or first and second pages, never having seen a chanote I don’t really know what they consist of)

Are you sure he didn't mean the Tabien barn of the property you are renting. The first 2 pages show the owners name.

Last time I went with my house lord (representative) and they told him that he could do it online. Note that the house lord is normally required to do your 24 hours address registration. He is having fun as I travel a lot for work I think the poor guy will have to hire a secretary just for me. Yes if they don't do it you get fined, so I make sure to keep a copy of the mail I send him. 

• Like 1

I was at Phuket Town last week to do a 24 hour Address Reg.  , with exactly the same documents as you listed , including  the silliness of walking to the junk food shed to pay for stamps that are not to be stuck onto the Landlords Power of Attorney.

No mention of Chanote was made .

I sort of thought that would be on the Tabien Baan.

If I were you ,  would be talking to the farang tourist police assistants there , as what was requested for you for next time is NOT  on their checklist they hand out...

( The only other  'paper' I presented was a photocopy of my visa stamp page )

I will also add that the only reason I was doing this Address Reg. AGAIN was that I had done it already 89 days before at Patong , and the cocky young a/hole there had PRETENDED to process my papers and had really done nothing! I learnt that nothing had been done when I presented for my 90 day report at PT. When I told my story the IO laughed  as if he knew who I was referring to , then kindly  helped me re-do the process. That still required a return trip to the upper West coast and a return again next day.

Is it possible the landlords Tabien Baan you supplied is not the one for the address you're renting? If it's not it doesn't show ownership of that property.

If he is registered on the Tabien Baan at the address where he lives and gave you a copy of that, you haven't actually provided proof of ownership of your rented property in the documents you supplied.

I have had this request two times when I rented the itner hoise, ine time the owner has to show in person with me. 1st 90 report on that address. Immigration Devsion 2 that was in 2015.

And recently move to other place andxalso the 1st time the owner had to come in person with extra documents that was in 2018.

I have heard from others too of which  some had to send the landlord too and some have had not. 

27 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Why is anything other than your passport required? I go in and out all the time and CM only looks at the passport and 1 minute later done. 

"Why is anything other than your passport required?"

Because this is Thai immigration we are dealing with, their attitude is

never make anything easier for Farang, always make them harder.

3 hours ago, Boatfreak said:

Last time I went with my house lord (representative) and they told him that he could do it online.

Was that in Phuket, ie the place the OP is asking about?

5 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Most landlords will never give all these documents to their tenants also out of fear what people can do with them..

giving all these documents to a tenant is unwise.

The originals are not required. Immigration only wants signed copies of them. Not much that can be done with a copy.

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Good god..paranoia to a whole new level.

Have you seen how hard govts in the west make it for new migrants to renew visas???

Not saying it is right but all govts do it.

If you dont like how the thai govt treats you at least you have a choice... dont you?

I suppose it is easier to stay and sit and snipe though 

Perhaps the time has come to use the Public Handbook issued by the Immigration Bureau and the immigration hotline 1178 in order to get immigration officers to follow the procedures correctly. And if an immigration officer claims that this handbook does not apply to him, ask him for the "regulations prescribed by the Director General" mentioned in the last paragraph of section 38 of the Immigration Act.

@Ubonjoe: I lost the URL of the webpage on www.immigration.go.th with the list of public handbooks. Have you got it?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Perhaps the time has come to use the Public Handbook issued by the Immigration Bureau and the immigration hotline 1178 in order to get immigration officers to follow the procedures correctly. And if an immigration officer claims that this handbook does not apply to him, ask him for the "regulations prescribed by the Director General" mentioned in the last paragraph of section 38 of the Immigration Act.

@Ubonjoe: I lost the URL of the webpage on www.immigration.go.th with the list of public handbooks. Have you got it?

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service

Public Handbook: The notification of the house-master, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager where an alien has stayed.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Well, until further notice, at least Chiang Mai comes in as favorable for something. I could just do the website, but like to do it personally. 

33 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I would sure love one of these Public Handbooks.?

56 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Good god..paranoia to a whole new level.

Have you seen how hard govts in the west make it for new migrants to renew visas???

Not saying it is right but all govts do it.

If you dont like how the thai govt treats you at least you have a choice... dont you?

I suppose it is easier to stay and sit and snipe though 

Your'e post is not even worth answering.:bah:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

I cannot find any comparison of this situation to Thailand's self-funded expats from the West which could possibly justify our receiving these hassles and run-arounds.  We make Thais wealthier, by spending here - not poorer, by taking from their tax-funded programs and driving down their wages.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I would sure love one of these Public Handbooks.?

The link is above.  But I would love to see (not in person) the reaction one would get if they tried to insist some "bad apple" should be honest in their dealings with you by providing the handbook or any other evidence.  Those trying this may want to have a "backup retirement destination" ready to go.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I cannot find any comparison of this situation to Thailand's self-funded expats from the West which could possibly justify our receiving these hassles and run-arounds.  We make Thais wealthier, by spending here - not poorer, by taking from their tax-funded programs and driving down their wages.

The link is above.  But I would love to see (not in person) the reaction one would get if they tried to insist some "bad apple" should be honest in their dealings with you by providing the handbook or any other evidence.  Those trying this may want to have a "backup retirement destination" ready to go.

You are probably right, I cannot see Thai immigration being answerable to anyone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maestro said:

Was that in Phuket, ie the place the OP is asking about?

Yes it was in Phuket :

3.3 In case of notifying online via www.immigration.go.th, the notifier has to register to receive user name and password to login the system via registered email. Then login to the notification system and record alien information into the system.

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thai Immigration's attitude is nowhere near as bad in this regard as the UK goverment's attitude is towards us British expats IMHO. Take the passport renewal procedures introduced in 2014 requiring 2 physical trips to Bangkok plus the Life Certificate bureaucracy for State Pensioners which is currently being discussed at length on the Home Country forum as 2 examples of this.