Bishop sorry for embrace of Ariana Grande at Aretha funeral: report

rooster59

Bishop sorry for embrace of Ariana Grande at Aretha funeral: report

800x800 (8).jpg

Singer Ariana Grande performs at the funeral service for the late singer Aretha Franklin at the Greater Grace Temple in Detroit, Michigan, U.S., August 31, 2018. REUTERS/Mike Segar

(Reuters) - The bishop who officiated at Aretha Franklin's funeral has apologized for being "too familiar" when he embraced singer Ariana Grande after her tribute to the Queen of Soul.

Bishop Charles H. Ellis III of the Greater Grace Temple was criticized by many social media users for appearing to touch the side of the Grammy-nominated artist's breast after she sang at the funeral in Detroit on Friday.

Some tagged photos online with the hashtag #RespectAriana, riffing on the title of one of Franklin's biggest hits.

"It would never be my intention to touch any woman's breast. ... I don't know, I guess I put my arm around her," Ellis told the Associated Press after the service. "Maybe I crossed the border, maybe I was too friendly or familiar but again, I apologize."

Ellis could not be reached for comment on Saturday. Calls and an email to Greater Grace Temple were not immediately returned.

Representatives for Grande could not immediately be reached for comment.

Grande, whose songs include "Problem" and "No Tears Left to Cry," sang Franklin's hit "Natural Woman" at the funeral.

Among those seated behind Grande as she performed were former President Bill Clinton, civil rights leaders Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-02

If the Bishop is guilty of anything, it's really nothing compared to the ogling of The Reverend Jesse Jackson, seemingly ogling somewhere between her butt and the top of her over exposed legs.

Or maybe he was just having a little snooze.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, neeray said:

If the Bishop is guilty of anything, it's really nothing compared to the ogling of The Reverend Jesse Jackson, seemingly ogling somewhere between her butt and the top of her over exposed legs.

AND Clinton also. Didja see him ogling? ( when he wasn't sleeping )

2 hours ago, neeray said:

Actually, I thought Jesse Jackson looked far from well ....slumped in his chair....unsmiling....something wrong there imo.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, neeray said:

Jesse wasn't alone. Old Hound Dog Clinton was caught appearently too. But then I've seen Go-Go's on stage wearing more than that young lady at a funeral. Seems it lasted 8 hours so cannot blame anyone for taking a snooze.

Edited by pegman

3 hours ago, neeray said:

Praise Jesus, now you can't even look.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, blazes said:

Actually, I thought Jesse Jackson looked far from well ....slumped in his chair....unsmiling....something wrong there imo.

I don't think the Reverend has an easy smile.

The funeral demonstrated just how many aging, prominent folk there is in Washington. The next decade is going to produce an awful lot of funerals but none that will rise to the level of this one. I can't help but wonder what a DJT funeral will look like. The eulogizing will certainly be interesting. The speech writers will have a challenge.

7 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Cant blame the man.

He sees the us president brag about such things well..good for the goose good for the gander etc

Point well taken. I visualize many habits trickling down from the top if Trump remains president, lying, lack of accountability, open prejudice, rewriting of facts/situations ...... just to name a few.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The Democrats, so desperate to revive their dying and fractured party are pulling out all stops. Even commandeering the funeral of a dead Republican is fair game. It's all they got left since they ran out of bullets to use against Trump.

The Dems have lots of bullets. They will fire after November when they have the power to hit their target.  Right now, their bullets are being deflected.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sungod said:

Credit where credit is due, the clergy are getting better. At least this one was over 18.

and not a boy!

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The Democrats, so desperate to revive their dying and fractured party are pulling out all stops. Even commandeering the funeral of a dead Republican is fair game. It's all they got left since they ran out of bullets to use against Trump.

Aretha Franklin was a Republican?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

You got me. I mixed up the two funerals. It's hard to say which funeral was more political, McCain's or Aretha's

I told you, that litle hat of yours is cutting the blood circulation to your brain

I wear a sombrero , that's why I am so smart.:tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1