Woman driver killed by another vehicle while waiting for help on expressway

webfact

Woman driver killed by another vehicle while waiting for help on expressway

By The Nation

640_ibbgacdbf85bjkbjaafh5.jpg

Picture: Nation TV

A woman, 68, fell to her death from an elevated expressway while waiting for help in front of her broken-down vehicle, which was hit by a speeding SUV on an elevated expressway Monday morning.

Police said the fatal accident happened at 8.45am on the Chalong Rat expressway near the exit of Sukhumvit Soi 50.

Thanyapat Wiphanpong was killed instantly.

Police did not identify the driver of the Toyota Fortuner that hit the rear of Thanyapat’s Kia..

Police said Thanyapat’s car broke down and she went to use the emergency telephone booth at the spot to call for help.

The accident happened shortly after a highway policeman arrived at the scene and parked his motorcycle in front of her car.

At that moment, the speeding SUV hit the rear of the Kia, sending it crashing into both Thanyapat and the police motorcycle. The domino effect of the impact pushed Thanyapat off the elevated highway to the road below.

The Fortuner driver was arrested.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353586

I'd be willing to put money on that the driver that caused the crash had a mobile phone in their hand

Stopping on an elevated expressway is extremely dangerous, if there is no safe protected place to go then stay in the car and call for help

RIP

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not sure which is safer.. remaining in the car or standing out of the car. 

Perhaps, standing out of the car, but 100m away from it so that if someone does hit it you are far enough away from it not to be impacted by the domino effect. 

That is a difficult call to make, I would lean towards staying in the car

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Don't be ridiculous. A bad driver can be in any make of car, or even on a motorbike.

Very true but somehow Fortuna drivers in my opinion appear to be the craziest. I'm sure it's got a lot to do with the physical size of the Fortuna and the high seating position that brings out the idiot in many of them. Somehow white ones are the worst. It's like the Thai version of the UK 'White Van Man'  from a few years ago.

13302732861123201082white-van-man-md.png

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Very true but somehow Fortuna drivers in my opinion appear to be the craziest. I'm sure it's got a lot to do with the physical size of the Fortuna and the high seating position that brings out the idiot in many of them. Somehow white ones are the worst. It's like the Thai version of the UK 'White Van Man'  from a few years ago.

Yeah, and Volvos are all driven by old men with bowls hats on the parcel shelf, Mazda MX5's by gay hairdressers etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:
18 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Yeah, and Volvos are all driven by old men with bowls hats on the parcel shelf, Mazda MX5's by gay hairdressers etc.

My Father drives a Volvo - there is a hat on the rear shelf !!!

Hairdressers don't drive MX-5's in Thailand - they are too expensive / hairdressers don't get paid enough. In the UK though, that's the stereotype, an MX-5 or SLK. 

Over time I too have developed the opinion that in aggregate Fortunas are driven in a more aggressive or assertive manner than other vehicles....  As wrong as generalizations are, they originate from some basis of reality... 

... It could be that because the Fortuna is a larger vehicle their road presence is more notable, but drivers of Pajero's do not carry similar generalization. 

In a similar manner, there exists a stereotype of girls in small Toyota Vios, Honda Jazz etc with a Hello kitty number plate - always on the phone while driving. 

The refrigerated pickup cutting through traffic cutting people up and causing Havok. 

The white Mini-Van hugging your bumper on the expressway.

These are all generalizations which for whatever reasons have taken a foothold and become stereotypes.

The Fortuna barrelling along at speed, driving aggressively and not being able to break in time because he was going too fast ticks a stereotype box, whether that stereotype is right or wrong it exists and the Fortuna driver has taken a life. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

A Fortuner is nothing better than a tarted up Vigo pic-up.  Why is it that 99% of the drivers of these vehicles are no more then tarted up imbeciles. Is it you have to be one to buy one in the first place or after buying one you become one ?

Thanks. At least I can claim to be among the 1% who are not tarted-up imbeciles. And what do you drive?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Stopping on an elevated expressway is extremely dangerous, if there is no safe protected place to go then stay in the car and call for help

And this is the reason why in civilized countries police are instructed to stop their vehicles in a case like this BEHIND the broken down car and switch on their flashing police light.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Esso49 said:

A Fortuner is nothing better than a tarted up Vigo pic-up.  Why is it that 99% of the drivers of these vehicles are no more then tarted up imbeciles. Is it you have to be one to buy one in the first place or after buying one you become one ?

What a totally ridiculous post.

I regularly switch between driving a Fortuner, a Yaris and a Honda CRV so following your (non) logic I must suffer from a multiple personality disorder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Esso49 said:

There are more pic-ups sold in this country, then any other vehicle. So it would be obvious to assume that there might be more "tarted up imbeciles" driving them, than the numbers of "tarted up imbeciles" that drive the same vehicle that you do. (if you happen to drive)

Incidentally I see many Fortuners and Toyota's driving very well. You must have missed them! 

Rest in peace lady.

Edited by 300sd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Yeah....here's alternate assessment.  A significant percentage of drivers in Thailand, shouldn't drive, shouldn't be granted a licence, might be under the influence of booze or dope.  I own a Fortuner, to give me and the family a fighting chance of not being one of the 65-70 killed daily in road deaths...

...kind of similar to a JHA ?

Edited by CanuckThai
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, JSixpack said:

Seems that it's a private street and has no maintenance agreement with the city. One of our insiders might cough up a few more details.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the second time in as many weeks this has happened.

It frightening that some drive with only the assumption that the road ahead is clear. 

In the UK we are taught to exit the vehicle and leave the motorway and go up the bank away from the road. 

My Wife and I were in a car which broke down on the BKK (Rama IV) expressway - I wanted to get out, but there was nowhere safe to go so we remained in the car with the seatbelts on... and just hoped no one would hit us. A policeman arrived within 5mins (very impressive) and ensured traffic was directed around us while a Tow Truck came and towed us off the expressway (all within about 20mins). I was very impressed with the efficiency but felt at huge risk while being stranded stationary on the side of the expressway with cars screaming past with a gap of 20cm !... 

I'm not sure which is safer.. remaining in the car or standing out of the car. 

Perhaps, standing out of the car, but 100m away from it so that if someone does hit it you are far enough away from it not to be impacted by the domino effect. 

I usually rappel off the bridge onto the ground below, and hide in a tree.

I don't see any warning triangles that are cheap enough to allow for having several in the trunk.

Wonder if the remembered to use her warning lights.

I wish Thailand sold and allowed flares.   It looks like this lady had no chance to "place a branch" behind her car.

5 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I don't see any warning triangles that are cheap enough to allow for having several in the trunk.

Wonder if the remembered to use her warning lights.

I wish Thailand sold and allowed flares.   It looks like this lady had no chance to "place a branch" behind her car.

The traffic camera vision on Thai television shows the SUV blindly hurtling into the back of the Kia at speed. Drunk or texting I have no idea but clearly not concentrating, which if you are going to be driving in the left hand stopping lane is something anyone with half a brain would do... warning triangles wouldn't have made any difference in this instance. Cop was lucky to walk away with only a sore leg.

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

The cop parked his motorcycle in front?  In some places, the cops stop behind the vehicle closer to the traffic lane and have some sort of flashing light for visibility sake.

I wondered about that as well. Maybe the procedure is different here?

11 hours ago, rebo said:

And this is the reason why in civilized countries police are instructed to stop their vehicles in a case like this BEHIND the broken down car and switch on their flashing police light.

yea, i wondered why the policeman had parked his bike in front of the broken down vehicle, common sense suggest park in a place where you can warn other motorists of the hazard.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Fortuna barrelling along at speed, driving aggressively and not being able to break in time because he was going too fast ticks a stereotype box,

Except if you read the "other paper" we aren't allowed to mention on this forum it says the drivers name and she ain't a man.

• Like 1