Pattaya transvestites charged with picking British tourist’s pocket

webfact

Pattaya transvestites charged with picking British tourist’s pocket

By The Nation

bdcd8a3085fcc7db3367d7c207131b5f.jpeg

Pattaya police on Monday arrested two transvestites for allegedly stealing cash and a credit card from a British tourist and using the card to buy Bt120,000 worth of gold ornaments.

Tipakorn Surintham and Banchong Jantawong, both 33, were arrested on a warrant issued by the Pattaya Court.

e85a648ea520e3a6e2d75137b4debee4.jpeg

James William Jack Mason, 31, had filed a complaint saying he was on Walking Street late on the night of August 31 when the two accused approached him to chat.

He soon discovered his cash and credit card missing, then got a message on his phone saying his credit card had been used at a shopping mall.

Police found that the card was used to buy trinkets at a gold shop on Soi None Plub Wan and studied CCTV recordings to identify the people with the card.

Police said the accused confessed and admitted working as a team – Tipakorn picking pockets while Banchong kept the victims distracted.

They have allegedly been arrested 15 times previously on similar charges.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353590

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-03

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is something they should really look at.. best would be if the creditcard company just refunded the tourists and let the gold shop owners footing the bill (i know im dreaming). But it seems a lot of gold shop owners are in on it.

You not dreaming , this is exactly what happens when card owner files for chargeback.

no proof of his signature and shops merchant bank gives back the money 

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

You not dreaming , this is exactly what happens when card owner files for chargeback.

In theory yes.. i wonder if it really happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

So although the cardholder receives the money back from their card issuer, what's the recrimination for the shop that accepted payment without checking the signature?

Does the credit card company attempt to retrieve the payment from the shop? If they appear to continually doing this, why does the credit card company not cancel the shop's agreement to accept cards?

When I have tried to contact Visa and Mastercard to tell them that in over ten years not one transaction I have made here has the retailer ever checked my signature, I have never received a reply, despite chasing the emails.

I can only guess that they see it as an acceptable risk and don't want to discuss it publicly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

So although the cardholder receives the money back from their card issuer, what's the recrimination for the shop that accepted payment without checking the signature?

Does the credit card company attempt to retrieve the payment from the shop? If they appear to continually doing this, why does the credit card company not cancel the shop's agreement to accept cards?

When I have tried to contact Visa and Mastercard to tell them that in over ten years not one transaction I have made here has the retailer ever checked my signature, I have never received a reply, despite chasing the emails.

I can only guess that they see it as an acceptable risk and don't want to discuss it publicly.

it's pretty straight forward, the credit card company will always come down in favour of the customer, when you want to use visa acceptance for your business, Visa holds back 10% of your trade for 3 months. If a customer has any issues with their purchases Visa will stop the payment and return the money to the customer. I would also imagine that they would punish the company for not following procedures, what they are facing in Thai gold shops is that eventually having worked with gold for a long period of time, the glitter can drive them blind to signatures and that combined with greed inevitably leads to catastrophic short-sightedness.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Siriously, what with these gender confused people? is this is the life of crimes they envisioning to themselves and than complaining that they get no sympathy from people who look down at them? get a life you trans-moron douchebags, why don't you go and rob your own kind and stop targeting innocent people...

they indeed do rob thai people as well as assault and ambush them as thai friends have told me and also warned me. infamous cases of lb gangs. thai friends had warned me in the past that a lb gang has assaulted and robbed many thais in the kaosan road area.

lots of softer targets in pattaya

19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

if a particular vendor loses their cc merchant account they will just use another vendors account or a shared account.

27 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Bank that provides credit card facility for the shop takes this money out of shops account and gives it back to cardholders bank.

they have penalties for this which range from $200 per transaction to canceling credit card facility 

20 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

it's pretty straight forward, the credit card company will always come down in favour of the customer, when you want to use visa acceptance for your business, Visa holds back 10% of your trade for 3 months. If a customer has any issues with their purchases Visa will stop the payment and return the money to the customer. I would also imagine that they would punish the company for not following procedures, what they are facing in Thai gold shops is that eventually having worked with gold for a long period of time, the glitter can drive them blind to signatures and that combined with greed inevitably leads to catastrophic short-sightedness.

OK, I didn't know the card company had that policy.

The semantics are interesting now. How do thieves manage to continually get away with it, if the merchant knows they will be scrutinised if these fraudulent transactions happen regularly?

In my case the problem with lack of checking signatures has been entirely when using Thai issued debit cards. In this case there is an instant check to make sure the purchase value is less than the account balance.

It doesn't explain why Visa and Mastercard won't respond to any emails regarding what is clearly a security issue.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit

21 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

what they are facing in Thai gold shops is that eventually having worked with gold for a long period of time, the glitter can drive them blind to signatures and that combined with greed inevitably leads to catastrophic short-sightedness.

I believe it's the shop assistants stealing, not the shop owners.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

In my case the problem with lack of checking signatures has been entirely when using Thai issued debit cards.

Had several Thai debit cards for 10 years, SCB, BKB, TMB.

I've never signed the back, and no shop has every pointed that out.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

OK, I didn't know the card company had that policy.

The semantics are interesting now. How do thieves manage to continually get away with it, if the merchant knows they will be scrutinised if these fraudulent transactions happen regularly?

In my case the problem with lack of checking signatures has been entirely when using Thai issued debit cards. In this case there is an instant check to make sure the purchase value is less than the account balance.

It doesn't explain why Visa and Mastercard won't respond to any emails regarding what is clearly a security issue.

Credit cards and banks don't like commenting on fraud at all, as the figures are huge, really huge and it's not something they want to bandy around. You are much better off using a credit card than a debit card, especially if that debit card belongs to a foreign bank where you may not receive much customer protection, you can liken it to possession is 9/10s of the law. When you use a debit card your money goes as soon as the transaction is made whereas you receive better protection with a credit card as it is delayed. I purchased some furniture on a company master card from an online company and then read their reviews (yes the wrong way around). I phoned mastercard with my concerns and they instantly cancelled the transaction, I could not have done that with a debit card.

10 minutes ago, fake farang said:

With their faces covered like that the shop owner couldn't tell whether they are farang or local.

As long as there are no ID requirement issued by the card companies towards the shop owners where the shops will be held responsible if they ignore to do so this kind of scam will continue....

Hopefully the fingerprint scan technology will put an end to it unless the shop owners will accept a severed finger ....:shock1: