I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

8 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

That would always be helpful . Am I right in thinking that the American Medicare insurance would continue if you decide to upsticks and move to Thailand ? I know my general health plan here covers me when I go to Thailand just the same as it would do in America .

My understanding is that the only foreign country in which Medicare will pay, is Canada. That is also limited to if you need emergency medical treatment during travel from Alaska to the 48

9 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

That would always be helpful . Am I right in thinking that the American Medicare insurance would continue if you decide to upsticks and move to Thailand ? I know my general health plan here covers me when I go to Thailand just the same as it would do in America .

Medicare is pretty much only in America. 

I keep a place in my home town just because of that. I don't want to be stuck here with out other options.

11 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Is Medicare accepted any where in Thailand if you move there full-time or do you have to travel back to the US to use it?

Edited by bwpage3

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Is Medicare accepted any where in Thailand if you move there full-time or do you have to travel back to the US to use it?

I just did a quick check on my previous comment.

I was correct. The only country where you could go into a hospital and get Medicare to pay is Canada, and you have to prove that you in a direct transit from Alaska to the 48, no vacation, nada.

So get sick in Thailand, better hope you can make the plane journey home!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It’s mainly the ones who burnt their boats back and and just can’t afford to leave that get the most ‘animated’ about these topics.

We do both, Thailand in the winter, US in the summer.

On the topic of health care. That in my mind is the real wild card of living full time in Thailand. 

The Govt hospitals are hugely variable, a lot especially outside of major cities are staffed by by little more than quacks.

Private insurance gets somewhat crazy over 60 and they start excluding all sorts of stuff. A couple of months travel insurance tends to give you much better affordable coverage 

Me too. Summer in UK. Visit Europe. Have my own place in UK. Early Autum return to Pats having rented out my UK flat. I use Pats as a base for exploring Thailand.

22 minutes ago, The manic said:

Me too. Summer in UK. Visit Europe. Have my own place in UK. Early Autum return to Pats having rented out my UK flat. I use Pats as a base for exploring Thailand.

Thats what we do.

My wife is a contractor for the Dept. of Defense so pretty much sets her own schedule.

We stay here through Christmas, then head back to Thailand to sit out the South Dakotan winter

Have you seen rent prices in Australia 
I live in Aus on the O/A pension. You can live comfortably on it, as long as you don't own a car, live close to trains, and most importantly, do own your own dwelling. It also helps financially to live in country areas. There's more to it of course - lifestyle choices - fresh food, limited alcohol, exercise etc.
In summary though, it is possible.

Sent from my H4133 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I live in Aus on the O/A pension. You can live comfortably on it, as long as you don't own a car, live close to trains, and most importantly, do own your own dwelling. It also helps financially to live in country areas. There's more to it of course - lifestyle choices - fresh food, limited alcohol, exercise etc.
In summary though, it is possible.

Sent from my H4133 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sounds fair enough bheard, but just wondering how many “lifestyle choices” you have living in the country areas of Aus?

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

Sounds fair enough bheard, but just wondering how many “lifestyle choices” you have living in the country areas of Aus?

This is the drawback for most of us out of Aussie for Many Years I quote  most importantly, do own your own dwelling. The events of the last few Days will have an Impact on many. Big Joke comments about Visa Agents and the rapid decline $au to Baht 

20 hours ago, Nemises said:

^ the same as every other country.... i.e. depends on how much money you have.

“No money, no honey”.

Not necessarily, you could be in a country where women have jobs and are working.

Theoretically this would make it less likely id need to have a lot of money because our incomes would be in the same ballpark.

6 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

Not necessarily, you could be in a country where women have jobs and are working.

Theoretically this would make it less likely id need to have a lot of money because our incomes would be in the same ballpark.

In the realm of entrepreneurship, Thailand's female population comprised 47% of the country’s workforce, which makes up the highest percentage of working women in the region of the Asia-Pacific.

IMO a good looking woman (in any country) with a good job would have an abundant amount of men to choose from. The “successful” male would need to have considerably more money than her and/or have exceptional good looks himself [emoji123]

• Like 1

This is a situation that I've taken steps to never happen.

I'll get about 30,000 pension,  maybe in 15 years.

I was recently in Melbourne and would find it extremely hard to live there on that amount of cash.

If I were you I'd stay well away from Cambodia, horrible place, partly due to the type of desperate foreigner forced to live there. 

Find a nice small town on the sea,  away from tourist areas,  and live like a Thai.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Dont know how it works, but we have a ferang , single, about mid 30 who goes home to claim disable money from his country, no way he dissable, and he boast about it.Stay here about 6 month when Europe cold.

One known a fee guys from Iceland who get similar money for being alcoholic. Weird thing is they stop getting it if they sober up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

One known a fee guys from Iceland who get similar money for being alcoholic. Weird thing is they stop getting it if they sober up.

That is why pensions is small for deacent 65 man. This Bum put nothing in yet grab big share.They not that easy in Norway.

58 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was recently in Melbourne and would find it extremely hard to live there on that amount of cash.

If I were you I'd stay well away from Cambodia, horrible place, partly due to the type of desperate foreigner forced to live there. 

Find a nice small town on the sea,  away from tourist areas,  and live like a Thai.

30k baht? Usd? Or

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I live in such a place, ocean view condo rents for 8,000bht/mo. Or you can get a room 1km away for 4500/mo. Not sure about things in 15 yrs.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I live in such a place, ocean view condo rents for 8,000bht/mo. Or you can get a room 1km away for 4500/mo. Not sure about things in 15 yrs.

Sounds nice. I live in khon Kaen but am thinking of buying a beach house.

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Tried a place like that in snooty cambo, when the lady showed me the room there were bloody cotton swabs on the floor near the bed. Someone shooting up meth likely. Could also have been weeping sores.

Some of those cheap rooms get pretty bad.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:17 AM, chrisandsu said:

I know it’s not possible in all situations but if I was an old timer and I needed medical treatment surely it would be cheaper and wiser to just jump on a plane home ? You will get much better treatment and will not bankrupt you .

That just happened to me. I was diagnosed with a life threatening disease. I had it checked out here in Thailand and it would of cost me about 12,000 dollars to get treatment. I keep a place in America and went home to get treatment. I asked the doctor there how much it would of cost without insurance in America, 100,000K up. Didn't cost me anything but it was a wake up call for me. It is cheaper for me to keep my place in America than to buy 3rd party insurance here.

But, if I sold my home in America I could invest, and fund just about any stay in a Thai hospital (government hospital). Private hospitals here are just as expensive as the States for what I have seen. Kind of a catch 22.

So, after years of keeping my place in the states I will definitely hang on to it. I didn't realize how truly important it was to NOT break ties with your home country.  Research paid off for me before I retired.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, garyk said:

That just happened to me. I was diagnosed with a life threatening disease. I had it checked out here in Thailand and it would of cost me about 12,000 dollars to get treatment. I keep a place in America and went home to get treatment. I asked the doctor there how much it would of cost without insurance in America, 100,000K up. Didn't cost me anything but it was a wake up call for me. It is cheaper for me to keep my place in America than to buy 3rd party insurance here.

But, if I sold my home in America I could invest, and fund just about any stay in a Thai hospital (government hospital). Private hospitals here are just as expensive as the States for what I have seen. Kind of a catch 22.

So, after years of keeping my place in the states I will definitely hang on to it. I didn't realize how truly important it was to NOT break ties with your home country.  Research paid off for me before I retired.

Good idea except you can't get back.  Ever had a heart attack or serious immediate illness in Thailand? 

Chances 1 in 100 you make it back.  Sell the place and put the money in a bank to fund treatment is the only rational thing to do.