Ex-Trump campaign aide Papadopoulos sentenced to 14 days in prison

rooster59

Ex-Trump campaign aide Papadopoulos sentenced to 14 days in prison

By Sarah N. Lynch

800x800 (3).jpg

Former Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos exits U.S. District Court after his sentencing hearing, in Washington, U.S., September 7, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - George Papadopoulos, a former aide to then-Republican candidate Donald Trump's 2016 campaign, was sentenced on Friday to 14 days in prison after pleading guilty last year to lying to federal agents investigating whether campaign members coordinated with Russia before the election.

Prosecutors for Special Counsel Robert Mueller said Papadopoulos lied to agents about his contacts with Russians during the campaign "to minimize both his own role as a witness and the extent of the campaign's knowledge of his contacts," according to the government's sentencing memorandum.

Among those contacts were London-based professor Joseph Mifsud, who told him the Russians had "dirt" on Trump's Democratic presidential rival Hillary Clinton in the form of "thousands of emails." Russia has denied U.S. allegations that it interfered in the campaign and President Trump denies campaign collusion.

Prosecutors had asked Judge Randolph Moss in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to impose a prison sentence of up to six months, saying that Papadopoulos' lies impeded their investigation and that he did not cooperate.

In addition to the prison time, Papadopoulos was sentenced to one year of supervised release and 200 hours of community service. He was also ordered to pay a fine of $9,500.

Friday was his first public court appearance since he pleaded guilty in October 2017 to lying to the FBI while the case was still sealed.

"I hope to have a second chance to redeem myself," Papadopoulos told the judge at the sentencing hearing. "I made a dreadful mistake but I am a good man," he said.

Also in court, his lawyer Thomas Breen criticized Trump for calling the Russia probe fake news and a witch hunt.

"The president of the United States hindered this investigation more than George Papadopoulos ever could," Breen told the judge.

The lies Papadopoulos told in his voluntary interview with the FBI on Jan. 27, 2017, prosecutors said, "undermined investigators' ability to challenge the professor or potentially detain or arrest him while he was still in the United States."

In addition, they said Papadopoulos did not provide "substantial assistance" and only came clean after he was confronted with his own emails, texts and other evidence.

In December 2017, two months after his guilty plea, the Federal Bureau of Investigation had plans for a follow-up meeting with Papadopoulos. The FBI cancelled the meeting when it discovered that Papadopoulos had sat down for a media interview about the case. He and his wife later participated in more media interviews.

Lawyers for Papadopoulos dispute some of the government's characterisations, and they asked the judge to sentence him to probation.

"Mr. Papadopoulos's offence was unquestionably serious as he made materially false statements to FBI agents," they wrote in their sentencing memo. However, they wrote, the claim that his lies harmed the investigation are "speculative and contrary to the evidence."

Papadopoulos was pictured in March 2016 sitting at a table with Trump, then-campaign adviser Jeff Sessions who went on to become U.S. attorney general, and other foreign policy campaign advisers.

At that meeting, Papadopoulos proposed brokering a meeting between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Sessions has previously testified to Congress that he pushed back against the proposal, but the memo filed by Papadopoulos's lawyers contradicts Sessions' account, saying that both Trump and Sessions appeared receptive to the idea.

The court filing confirms reporting by Reuters in March about the difference between Sessions’ testimony and how others recounted his reaction to the proposal at the meeting.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-08

“The lies Papadopoulos told in his voluntary interview with the FBI on Jan. 27, 2017”,,,
There lies his first mistake, voluntarily talking to any law enforcement without a lawyer I’m assuming. It appears he wasn’t found guilty for any conduct that was being investigated but for lying about his conduct.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

“The lies Papadopoulos told in his voluntary interview with the FBI on Jan. 27, 2017”,,,
There lies his first mistake, voluntarily talking to any law enforcement without a lawyer I’m assuming. It appears he wasn’t found guilty for any conduct that was being investigated but for lying about his conduct.

His first mistake was running his drunken mouth in front of an Australian diplomat, and thereby setting the wheels of the ‘Russia-gate’ investigation in motion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Becker said:

Many Are Getting Arrested and it's a beautiful thing to behold! The thought of one day to possibly see the man-child in an orange jumpsuit sends shivers down my spine.

Oh you are so cruel! He's only a child. Just a good spanking would be enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

That's what he gets for attempting to throw Trump under the bus. Mueller is not happy though. He wanted 6 months. 

Papadopoulos cooperated and in return received a lenient sentence.

The message is clear, if you get nailed for a crime(s) and cooperate you will be treated with leniency at your sentencing.

The message is directed towards Paul Manafort and he’s heared it.

Michael Cohen and Roger Stone heared it too.

Illiberals Get your denial glasses on, the truth will (despite Trump’s best efforts) out!

• Like 2

We don't know (yet) what song he sang. To be given such a light sentence, he probably supplied Mueller with some pretty juicy information. Another Trump compadre bights the dust! More to follow. Many more.

(Ok BoonMe, I'll be watching for your "sad face")

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

There lies his first mistake, voluntarily talking to any law enforcement without a lawyer I’m assuming.

If Papadopoulos waited to be subpoenaed to testify, it would be before a Grand Jury during which he cannot have legal representation. There is otherwise no reason for the FBI to allow Papadopoulos legal counsel for a voluntary interview - voluntary is without conditions.

If Papadopoulos wanted legal representation before the FBI, just wait until he is formerly charged with federal crimes such as failure to register as a foreign agent, conspiracy to defraud the US government, etc. Then he has a right for legal counsel - but his chances at a plea bargain virtually disappear.

9 hours ago, Becker said:

Many Are Getting Arrested and it's a beautiful thing to behold! The thought of one day to possibly see the man-child in an orange jumpsuit sends shivers down my spine.

be careful about all that excitement whilst in public places as the erection could be embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

be careful about all that excitement whilst in public places as the erection could be embarrassing. 

I said "shivers down my spine", not "boner". 

Do try to lift your head out of the gutter every once in a while. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Becker said:
3 hours ago, atyclb said:

I said "shivers down my spine", not "boner". 

Do try to lift your head out of the gutter every once in a while.

i though trump in an orange jump suit would send shivers down your spine and together with maga beautiful thing to behold that it seemed to turn you on??  to each their own

change erection to election  lol

amazing how trumps win got so many perturbed or disturbed.    get some hobbies

Edited by atyclb
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

That's what he gets for attempting to throw Trump under the bus. Mueller is not happy though. He wanted 6 months. 

If anything you are consistent. Consistently Wrong 

Actually he is going to jail for attempting to protect Trump by lying to the FBI. 

He should had  kept his mouth shut while drinking and stayed Anumumus , Amunounus Anomunus LOL (for those who don't get it , I am watching your staible genius in TV trying to pronounce Anonymous.) 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i though trump in an orange jump suit would send shivers down your spine and together with maga beautiful thing to behold that it seemed to turn you on??  to each their own

Note to self: Don't post while drunk as it makes a mockery of basic grammatical rules. 

Happy MAWA (pipe)dreams. 

2 minutes ago, Becker said:
59 minutes ago, atyclb said:

Note to self: Don't post while drunk as it makes a mockery of basic grammatical rules. 

Happy MAWA (pipe)dreams. 

ouch

13 hours ago, Basil B said:

Reality is that DT will never be sent to prison for his crimes.

He may well end up a humiliated broken man ending his day playing sand castles with Thaksin and Yingluck.

Please do outline his crimes for us. Seems that so far as I can tell he has committed no crime.  You may not like his politics but where are the crimes?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Trouble said:

Please do outline his crimes for us. Seems that so far as I can tell he has committed no crime.  You may not like his politics but where are the crimes?

I think it is pretty obvious there are substantial accounting irregularities, relating to monies used to pay off stormy and others.

I am sure there is:

• Tax Evasion
  • Money Laundering
  • Embellishment 

And if proved his Russian connections it could be treason 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

van der Zwaan only got 30 days. Coffee Boy cooperated, so fewer than 30 days seems appropriate?

Better than what happened to his "Maltese academic" "contact", who is probably pushing up daisies. 

His wife should get a bit more time for excessive botox usage?