METV re-entry permit on 30 day extension.

Hi All,

I am facing the following situation:

- my METV expires 16.I.2019,

- I will enter Thailand on 2.XII.2018 and get stamped in for 60 days (~end of Jan 2019),

- around mid Jan 2019 I will extend this for a further 30 days (till ~end of Feb 2019).

Will I be able to apply for a re-entry permit in February (past the validity of the METV and during the 30d extension)?

Thanks.

Once you are in the country your visas validity means nothing.

You could apply for a re-entry permit that would  keep the remainder of the permit to stay from the 30 day extension valid when you enter the country.

Are you aware that you could leave and re-enter the country on or before the date your visa expires (16 Jan 2019?) and get a new 60 day entry.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a re-entry permit that would  keep the remainder of the permit to stay from the 30 day extension valid when you enter the country.

OK, thank you.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you aware that you could leave and re-enter the country on or before the date your visa expires (16 Jan 2019?) and get a new 60 day entry.

Absolutely aware, yes. Most likely will not be able to do that due to other obligations.

1 hour ago, shadowofacloud said:

I am facing the following situation:

- my METV expires 16.I.2019,

- I will enter Thailand on 2.XII.2018 and get stamped in for 60 days (~end of Jan 2019),

- around mid Jan 2019 I will extend this for a further 30 days (till ~end of Feb 2019).

If you did a border run on 15/1/19, you'd get another 60 day stamp until 15/3/19.

You could extend that for a further 30 days until 13/4/19.

If you intend to exit and re-enter after the Visa expires on 16/1/19 you'd need a re-entry permit to cover the 60 day period from 16/1 -  15/3 then another re-entry permit for the 30 day extension 15/3 - 13/4.

The period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

The period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you did a border run on 15/1/19, you'd get another 60 day stamp until 15/3/19.

You could extend that for a further 30 days until 13/4/19.

Yes, I understand. However, I do not intend to stay in Thailand longer than end of Feb 2019 in this iteration and I need to make a short trip to HK in the first half of Feb 2019.

Additionally, a round trip to my local immigration office (NST) is around 3 hours, while a border run would take at least one full day, most likely two, and would be more expensive. And as money is not an issue here, time is, so I prefer to use the least time-consuming method.

Thank you for elaborating on the visa validity vs. period of stay - these were the points that were not entirely clear to me.

Edited by shadowofacloud
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, shadowofacloud said:

Yes, I understand. However, I do not intend to stay in Thailand longer than end of Feb 2019 in this iteration and I need to make a short trip to HK in the first half of Feb 2019.

Additionally, a round trip to my local immigration office (NST) is around 3 hours, while a border run would take at least one full day, most likely two, and would be more expensive. And as money is not an issue here, time is, so I prefer to use the least time-consuming method.

OK , I understand your situation and circumstances.

Should plans change, at least up until 16/1/19 your aware and understand you have an alternative option to stay longer than planned.