Is Thai bottled water safer than tap water

CanuckThai

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

My Doc used to put it in terms of Beer: Pissin out  Guiness...go to hospital. Pissing out an English ale, drink  lots of water.

Pissing out a Bud Light, just maintain

Actually, if you are maintaining a perfect fluid balance it should be virtually clear but I'm happy enough with Bud Light.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 3:18 AM, Spidey said:

Actually, if you are maintaining a perfect fluid balance it should be virtually clear but I'm happy enough with Bud Light.

I'm not so sure about that, when I drink lots of beer my urine goes clear. I've always assumed it was a bad sign, like my liver shutting down cos of the overload. I go with the Bud Lite. As an aside, if you want a real scare, drink a ton of beetroot juice.

Just now, nausea said:

I'm not so sure about that, when I drink lots of beer my urine goes clear. I've always assumed it was a bad sign, like my liver shutting down cos of the overload. I go with the Bud Lite. As an aside, if you want a real scare, drink a ton of beetroot juice.

Same for me, but remember, beer is 90% water.

Try eating a plate of asparagus. The smell is disgusting.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I had long heard about drinking enough water until your urine was clear and I asked my doctor once about it, since no matter how much plain water I drank, my urine was always some shade of yellow.  My doctor laughed and said it should be clear -- as in not cloudy -- not clear as in colorless.  English can be funny like that some times.

Thank you I didn't understand that either

On 9/9/2018 at 12:00 PM, worgeordie said:

The water maybe safe to drink while it is in the Water plant,once

it starts to go through the pipes to your house,pipes that may

have cracks,other damage,letting contaminated water to enter

the system, I know of one Moo bhan,where the water pipes are

placed down in the drainage ditches,where overflow from septic

tanks also flows!!.

It's the same with bottled waters ,some supplies are well treated

and are safe,I suspect there are others who just fill from the taps,

without any Ozone,or RO treatment.

regards worgeordie

Agreed. I'm fed up paying somebody to clean all the mud and sand that comes through the water mains out of my water tank. I try to only do it once a year but it really needs cleaning every six months or so.

I attached a single filter unit to the house supply but those filters cost 400 Baht a time and it was getting filthy dirty after just a few months so I gave up. I'll shower in the tap water (the shower units have their own filters) but for drinking and cooking I use the water from a nearby RO machine.

On 9/9/2018 at 12:01 PM, CanuckThai said:

Thanks.  I'm up north, and rely on a 3 filter+UV system to ensure safe drinking/potable water.  Many smaller communities and tourist destinations don't employ RO, or anything more than a "sticks and stones" filtration, with an untrained staff.  So bottled water is almost a necessity...

Have the same filter for drinking water, and outside a sediment filter before the Tank and one of those 1.50 meters high stainless steel charcoal contraptions after the tank. No health problems since.

(forget to mention that we drink filtered water straight from the tap, and that the water kettle is as clean as it was five years when I bought it, no sediments or discolouring whatsoever. )

Edited by KKr
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Agreed. I'm fed up paying somebody to clean all the mud and sand that comes through the water mains out of my water tank. I try to only do it once a year but it really needs cleaning every six months or so.

I attached a single filter unit to the house supply but those filters cost 400 Baht a time and it was getting filthy dirty after just a few months so I gave up. I'll shower in the tap water (the shower units have their own filters) but for drinking and cooking I use the water from a nearby RO machine.

you could use a back-washable filter. I used an American Brand that costs money to buy, but have used those for money years without a problem.
Best of all, since the bottle of the cold water variant is transparent easy to see whether rinsing is necessary.

37 minutes ago, Saladin said:

20 years or so ago tests were done on water in the US which found that US bottled water was purer than European bottled water but that the purest of all was New York tap water.

Googling New York water supply is very interesting. The water is legendary.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 10:02 PM, cleverman said:

Drinking 2 litres of water can cause kidney stone,you should have realised that by now.

That depends on how much calcium and magnesium is in the water. Most unlikely, unless one is drinking bore water with >1000 mg/L Total Dissolved Solids.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Same for me, but remember, beer is 90% water.

Try eating a plate of asparagus. The smell is disgusting.

Alcohol is a diuretic. The metallothionines ( sulphur compounds ) in asparagus are what make urine smell, but it's harmless.

• Like 1

RO machines are so good at removing contaminants in water that they also remove the vast majority of the minerals in that water. So although you wont get any unpleasantness from it, its not offering many health benefits.

Any bottled water with 'Pure' or 'Smart' in it is to be avoided, as this will just be tap water, filtered / UV'd

Stick to a couple of bottles of bottled water.

However we should be worried about contaminants in water than more than likely you biggest worry would be the plastic bottle and how this effects the body.

BPA is banned in more and more plastic related products becomes it replicates the human hormone estrogen.

Now i wouldn't like to suggest it but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a link between the amount of Katoeys in relation to BPA type chemicals used in production plants  within Thailand!!??

Estrogen given to males will cause their scrotum to reduce in circumference.

Testosterone given to females will cause their clitoris to increase in length and girth.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 1:21 AM, LomSak27 said:

Bottled water tastes better - Is that so hard to figure out?

Not any safer,, natch, but you knew that already    :thumbsup:

My wife buys bottled water from a vendor that has a route through our area. Large blue water cooler style bottle with a shrink wrap seal. I'd tried it one time and it doesn't taste better. If I'm going to drink bottled water I buy it from Big C or Tesco store brand for 29 baht per 6-liter bottle.

RO machines are so good at removing contaminants in water that they also remove the vast majority of the minerals in that water. So although you wont get any unpleasantness from it, its not offering many health benefits.

Any bottled water with 'Pure' or 'Smart' in it is to be avoided, as this will just be tap water, filtered / UV'd

However we should be worried about contaminants in water than more than likely you biggest worry would be the plastic bottle and how this effects the body.

BPA is banned in more and more plastic related products becomes it replicates the human hormone estrogen.

Now i wouldn't like to suggest it but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a link between the amount of Katoeys in relation to BPA type chemicals used in production plants  within Thailand!!??

Testosterone given to females will cause their clitoris to increase in length and girth.
There aren't any health benefits from getting minerals from water that you don't already get from a tiny amount of vegetables.

1 hour ago, trd said:
4 hours ago, ed strong said:

There aren't any health benefits from getting minerals from water that you don't already get from a tiny amount of vegetables.

we are not comparing water with vegetables.

Its better to drink water with more minerals than water without any.