CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

1 hour ago, rawhod said:

I was using a British Embassy Income letter obtained late December last year which he accepted with no question. He did, however, ask for proof of the income stated in the letter. I had anticipated this and had copies of the documents which I had submitted to the British Embassy.

Gamesters beware!  This quote from above shows, clearly, that some Immigration officers are not playing along with some of the dodgy behavior (e.g., consular affadavits) of the past.  They can ask for any proof they want.  Rawhod was smart.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did get my $$ back from Immig when i asked for a multi-entry stamp (3900? baht).  Clerk gave me the stamp good for 33 days and i objected.  Some confusion arose and i went to visit the boss, upstairs.

2 months prior i went in, with all the paperwork for a Non-O visa and requested one year based on retirement.  She blahblahblah and gave me a stamp, Non-O.  I did not look closely but later learned it was only for 90 days, not the 365 days.

Very fortunately for me the 3900 baht had not yet been entered into the archaic handwritten notebook, so i got the refund.

All worked out and i learned a lesson: Thais can't read English very well.

48 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

I did get my $$ back from Immig when i asked for a multi-entry stamp (3900? baht). 2 months prior i went in, with all the paperwork for a Non-O visa and requested one year based on retirement.  She blahblahblah and gave me a stamp, Non-O.  I did not look closely but later learned it was only for 90 days, not the 365 days. 

As I recall both times I got the non O visa, it was good for 90 days and nothing has changed as far as I know. The 365 days is the one year extension, not the visa. Some folks erroneously think that the extension is a visa, but it's an extension, not a visa. 

53 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

I did not look closely

oh my goodness

and you say Thais have reading issues

Cusanus is correct about the 90 days based on numerous other posts.

You have a few wires crossed.

20 hours ago, JimGant said:

Bottom of TM7: WHETHER PERMISSION IS GRANTED OR NOT, APPLICATION FEE IS NON REFUNDABLE UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES

Kicking myself for bothering with this. I've never been charged the fee until the application was approved and completed (that I can recall). Twice over ten years ago I went for extensions without the necessary qualifications and was given polite and uself advice on how to correct the situation without being charged a baht. I'm sure the fee is non refundable. Perhaps lately they have been charging in advance, I just haven't noticed. So what?

20 hours ago, JimGant said:

Bottom of TM7:

The disclaimer regarding payment,non approval, is there but I’ve not heard of it being applied.I believe generally the applicant is sent away to redo rather than submit an app to fail. It is also noted on MFA websites and recently one poster ,US I think, stated his app was refused and pre payment refunded.

18 hours ago, Mapguy said:

XLance, Yes, a regular passbook savings account must, if they still play by the rules I have followed for years, basically requires a same-day update. I recall, some folks having to rush off to a kiosk to update, then return to Immigration.  Pain in the butt for those folks but doable. I believe some officers have given some (one-day) slack over the years from time to time, but I wouldn't count on it now. Immigration has become understandably annoyed at some of the dodgy games people have played.

A fixed deposit of Bt800k does NOT require (at least in any accurate report I have seen and in my own experience) a same-day update and can be done  conveniently when you get a bank letter (within 7 days of a visit to Immigration).  I have written above somewhere about that.  Or, if super cautious, you can do it on an ATM machine on the way to Immigration.

I believe that Bangkok Bank automatically renews an existing fixed deposit account at whatever the going interest rate is at renewal time. A good safety feature. 

Otherwise, some people seem to prefer chasing their last bhat (dollar, pound, yen, or DM)  of interest elsewhere up until their witching month of renewal, which safely is (arguably) two or three months ahead of the their extension renewal date. I believe three months is certainly on the side of caution. That's up to them, but not a peace-of-mind approach in my view.  Potentially such people could end up (by accident or oversight) not making the "deadline" for adequate seasoning of the Bt800k. Then it is back to Go  and don't collect $200.

You're right on all counts.I have a fixed deposit with Bangkok Bang, KSK.Just roll it over ,take the interest when due,August,anything over 800,000 b. Get the letter,update passbook in January for extension and do Imm next day, never a problem in 11 yrs.As a fixed deposit if you have an emergency you can take money out anytime you just lose the interest you have earned up to that date.

18 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

I did get my $$ back from Immig when i asked for a multi-entry stamp (3900? baht).  Clerk gave me the stamp good for 33 days and i objected.  Some confusion arose and i went to visit the boss, upstairs.

2 months prior i went in, with all the paperwork for a Non-O visa and requested one year based on retirement.  She blahblahblah and gave me a stamp, Non-O.  I did not look closely but later learned it was only for 90 days, not the 365 days.

Very fortunately for me the 3900 baht had not yet been entered into the archaic handwritten notebook, so i got the refund.

All worked out and i learned a lesson: Thais can't read English very well.

A non-O visa is a 90 day visa and NOT one year visa. That's the visa I first got. Then you extend every year after that.

Yes, I agree Thai can't read and even listen to English well. So speak slowly with simple English words, I've seen expats rattling off in English slang and uncommon words.

Foreigners seem to think that Thai are as good in English as the European countries but European countries shared almost the same alphabets while Thai don't.

So it's just like you reading Thai newspapers, it is overwhelming as a second language learner.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:33 PM, Mapguy said:

The last time (almost a year ago) I visited Immigration with my wife (carried as a dependent) Immigration would not process our extensions at the same time (as had been normal for more than 10 years).  And TWO original bank letters were needed:  one for me and one for her.  She had to return with an original bank letter (my FD account).

Sorry for my ignorance but why does your wife need to have a separate bank letter when she is your dependent? 

Are you saying she needs a separate bank letter on your FD account of 800K and not her own bank account? It sounds  a bit silly.

Then why not just photocopy your bank letter to her?

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

...Yes, I agree Thai can't read and even listen to English well. So speak slowly with simple English words, I've seen expats rattling off in English slang and uncommon words.

Foreigners seem to think that Thai are as good in English as the European countries but European countries shared almost the same alphabets while Thai don't.

So it's just like you reading Thai newspapers, it is overwhelming as a second language learner. ...

I'd agree that seems to be true at Chinag Mai IMM, but I found it's quite different at Chon Buri IMM when I moved down here to Jomtien from Chaing Mai in March.  Maybe I was just lucky but the IMM officer I spoke with there was quite fluent in both speaking and reading English and was very clear and concise answering my questions. 

I think Chiang Mai IMM should make English a more important requirement for hiring officers to deal with the public.  After all, foreigners are who they deal with, and if there is one language that is more universal throughout the world, it is English  It only makes sense.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

Sorry for my ignorance but why does your wife need to have a separate bank letter when she is your dependent? 

Are you saying she needs a separate bank letter on your FD account of 800K and not her own bank account? It sounds  a bit silly.

Then why not just photocopy your bank letter to her?

Two original letters on my account were needed, presumably because the extensions were done at different times and reviewed by different officers. Yes, does seem silly, especially since a photocopy of my new extension for her extension was also required which you would think proof enough of financial requirements met as an original bank letter was required for it.

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I think Chiang Mai IMM should make English a more important requirement for hiring officers to deal with the public.  After all, foreigners are who they deal with, and if there is one language that is more universal throughout the world, it is English  It only makes sense.

In terms of the world, English but in terms of Thailand, it's the Chinese language that makes more sense since they outnumber everyone else and Chinese speaking countries such as China, Taiwan, Hong Kong are just next door. 

BOTH languages, Mandarin (to be more precise) and English are needed. In important respect English first as it is the most universally spoken and understood language (except in certain places in England, Scotland and Wales where it is only occasionally understood by other English speakers). Otherwise, Chinese by geographical proximity.

Actually, I am not really being casually snippy about some UK speakers and this post is really relevant to Immigration which truly has to deal with all sorts of ill-mannered expression and manners from foreigners, not Brits altogether certainly. My point is it isn’t just the paperwork, frustrating as that might be from time to time. And it isn’t just abiding by the rules to be successful, as frustrating as that can be. It is MEASURED, SIMPLE, and POLITE expression of needs. That will be met in kind in Thailand if anywhere. If followed a great many posts appearing on this site would have never appeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Did my first 90 day report in person for 10 years today just to see first hand the improvement. Arrived 2 pm no parking available within Imm but no problem over the road in the service station for 20 baht.There was a queue ouside the Imm office, surprising number of young people, I guess students or tourists.An officer wandered down the line asking "Anyone here for a 90 day report come inside".                      I was given a ticket and was first in line to be called.

Very pleasant lady officer who processed the report in about a minute and thanked me for coming.In and out within 5 minutes.

The whole office is a remarkable change from Promenada where it was chaotic so who ever has rung the changes deserves a pat on the back and our thanks.Not sure if there are more staff but everything seems to be running smoothly as it should and a visible change in attitude from the staff I observed during my short stay. Still didnt see a sign advising 90 day could be done online or by mail which is my normal routine  

2 hours ago, cusanus said:

QUESTION: Is there still a photo service for visa extensions at the new Immigration Building or adjacent?

Why do you need a photo service because immig take your photo for you free?

If you really need a photo for other purposes, you can go to the nearby Airport plaza where there are many shops.

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Why do you need a photo service because immig take your photo for you free?

If you really need a photo for other purposes, you can go to the nearby Airport plaza where there are many shops.

He needs a photo for the extension, they are not free and Immi doesn't take any photos.

12 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

He needs a photo for the extension, they are not free and Immi doesn't take any photos.

Immigration does take photos but not for sticking to the various application forms that require them.

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

Immigration does take photos but not for sticking to the various application forms that require them.

Remember at Promenada (and before at the Airport) there was a separate room or area where photos for the extensions were taken. It's still a good question, but not important to me anymore. It's actually a friend going in next week whom I help out, but we already got the photo at another shop near here. 

29 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Remember at Promenada (and before at the Airport) there was a separate room or area where photos for the extensions were taken. It's still a good question, but not important to me anymore. It's actually a friend going in next week whom I help out, but we already got the photo at another shop near here. 

Sorry, I must be getting forgetful nowadays. Immigration do need photos and they also take our photo with their own camera and upload into their computer at Promenada.

Promenada's photos is overpriced. It's better to take a photo in an ordinary photo shop before you arrive at immigration. 

The prices are much cheaper, I think it is about 4 or 6 pieces for 100 baht.

There are no photo shops nor photocopy shops at the new imm center the last time I went there. They might have in the future once the shops are approved by the govt.

There is a photocopy shop right across the busy street which is actually a visa agent shop. But unless you don't mind risking your life running across the busy road, it's better not to go there.

21 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Sorry, I must be getting forgetful nowadays. Immigration do need photos and they also take our photo with their own camera and upload into their computer at Promenada. Promenada's photos is overpriced. It's better to take a photo in an ordinary photo shop before you arrive at immigration. 

The street is no problem, money is no problem, photocopies are no problem (make very good use of a PC and printer), but I can't print photos with the right thickness. Maybe I should look around for the right kind of paper instead of the copy paper I use with the printer. When needed I go to a small local shop down the street, 100 baht, but it's a bit more trouble for my friend. Best place is a short distance down the street from the US Embassy (towards the moat, on the left), but not close enough for me.  

20 minutes ago, cusanus said:

The street is no problem, money is no problem, photocopies are no problem (make very good use of a PC and printer), but I can't print photos with the right thickness. Maybe I should look around for the right kind of paper instead of the copy paper I use with the printer. When needed I go to a small local shop down the street, 100 baht, but it's a bit more trouble for my friend. Best place is a short distance down the street from the US Embassy (towards the moat, on the left), but not close enough for me.  

I take my own photos, save 4 on a file to print at the photo print shop - 5 baht.

2 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

I take my own photos, save 4 on a file to print at the photo print shop - 5 baht.

I'm gonna have to get some card stock or thicker paper and do the same. Doubt ordinary copy paper passes muster. I've got a good printer but haven't had any other use for heavier paper. 

9 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Ah!  Hobbyists!!  Or maybe some who will spend ten times more on fuel to travel to a different market to save nothing much for a pound of potatoes! ????

Ah superior Mapguy.

No mayhem at all. Last week, in the morning, everything accomplished within 3 hours. No new requirements to speak of. Visit included a discussion with officer regarding new health insurance requirements under consideration, but she had no clue, just like everyone else, as how policy might change re NI-0 (obtained in country) and NI-OA extensions. Stay tuned!

Archived