CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

57 minutes ago, happysoul said:

Hello, 

At what time people show up to get a 1 year extention (mariage) queue number? Is 7am ok or is it mayhem like it was before? Thanks in advance for your help. 

My impression is that it hardly matters what time you show up. Going at 8:00AM six months ago probably took longer because the IO guy went for a coffee break, but we were still out in two hours. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was number 4 and arrived at 9:15 on a Wednesday a couple of weeks ago. Make sure your bank book is updated the day you go and have two copies of your last 90 day report (I don’t think it was on the list of requirements).

Arrived this morning at 9:00, R15 in the queue, waiting on R9. Took until 10:15 to finally get called. Needed the usual TM7, passport, copy of passport with signatures was asked for which was ready, no 90 day reports required (though the last stub was stapled in the back of the passport as required). The IO was very friendly. Got the bank letter last Tuesday and updated the passbook this morning about 8:00. Less than 15 minutes to get updated retirement extension, back on the road before 11:00AM. 

GregTN’s post appears to be only partially correct. Same day update of  a bank book was NOT necessary for a fixed account last week or ever in my experience.

Nor, in recent memory, have I been asked for a 90-day report. 

GregTN’s post appears to be only partially correct. Same day update of  a bank book was NOT necessary for a fixed account last week or ever in my experience.

Nor, in recent memory, have I been asked for a 90-day report. 

So you find his report partially incorrect because it differs from your experience. Has IO Head acknowledged that your experience is the gold standard and that all other experience should be identical?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Same day update of  a bank book was NOT necessary for a fixed account

So the reports read. However, not so for regular savings accounts, which seem to need same-day updates -- although there have been some reported exceptions.

Question on lease documents required for retirement visa Extension

Have to renew my retirement visa. First time in Chiangmai

Does anyone know if Thai immigration Chiang mai requires a Letter from Property Agent summarising

information thats already on Page 1 of Lease Agreement

ie Name tenant owner period of lease ?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Tees75 said:

Question on lease documents required for retirement visa Extension

Have to renew my retirement visa. First time in Chiangmai. Does anyone know if Thai immigration Chiang mai requires a Letter from Property Agent summarising information thats already on Page 1 of Lease Agreement: Name tenant owner period of lease ?

My 14th extension this year, have never submitted anything regarding lease. I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the TM30. Your property owner has to submit a TM30 and then the stub gets stapled near the back page of your passport. You may not be able to get an extension w/o the TM30 stub, I'm not sure how tough they are about that these days, but there's a 1600 baht fine if you haven't got it, so it's probably a good idea to clear that up. Don't know where the office is for that since Promenada, but guess it might be upstairs in the new building. You should go there and ask about it. 

In over ten years I have never been asked for lease information at extension time. I do dimly recall that some officer came up with this idea a few years ago, but apparently that didn’t stick. You can always throw a photocopy in your stack of reserve documents just in case. While you are at it, you could add photocopies of the ID of the lessor and the tabian ban for the property. I do.

. You can always throw a photocopy in your stack of reserve documents just in case.

No wonder they are asking for “new” stuff sometimes. They see people coming in with stacks of documents and wonder what they are so they ask for things just to find out.

Got to do something to break the routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was required to show lease contract 6 months ago at CM Immig. Heretofore i have never had a lease, not needed at my lodging, but mgnt did provide one and even asked if i wanted a 6 month or 1 year lease contract.

The lease is meaningless to the hotel owner, i live month to month.  But Immig must have its way, like a petulant child. 

So, you may be asked to provide some evidence of a housing lease at Immig. 

I had my bank letter, acct statements, copies etc. All ducks lined up.

Walked into CM Imm about 13:15 and walked out less than 40 minutes later with one-year extension done.

I can't imagine what an agent could do except go across the street to get the copies. An agent could only slow down the process, add complexity and take money for doing it. CM imm improved beyond recognition! 

45 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Same day update for passbook? (not applicable, I guess, for a FD)

How was the parking at 1300?

Plenty of parking across the street. I used 6 months of foreign transfers - same day update didn't show on the statement but no problem. 

Leniency or common sense.  How could anyone be expected to be in compliance with an order nine months before the order took effect in March.  The I/O did remind me that next year he wanted to see twelve months. 

4 hours ago, amexpat said:

Leniency or common sense.  How could anyone be expected to be in compliance with an order nine months before the order took effect in March.  The I/O did remind me that next year he wanted to see twelve months. 

Interesting, first actual report I have seen related to leniency at ChiangMai Imm,encouraging.

strange going-on  been on a retirement and marriage  visa  past 9years

i have left 400000b in bank and show stat dec  from oz embassy 40000b per month 

no problem //now stat dec no good /have to show money direct into account from oz govt 

i cannot show as oz govt  is to  put all moneys into citi bank\then citi bank do all  transfer to Bangkok bank

also asked now to put 800000b in bank?

will be changing to marriage visa simpler /400000b in bank and show bank book where money goes in 

cheers

14 hours ago, opalred said:

strange going-on  been on a retirement and marriage  visa  past 9years

i have left 400000b in bank and show stat dec  from oz embassy 40000b per month 

no problem //now stat dec no good /have to show money direct into account from oz govt will be changing to marriage visa simpler /400000b in bank and show bank book where money goes in 

You'll find that the marriage route is far more complex than retirement. Yeah, it looks like monthly deposits must be made directly into a Thai bank, so that can be very inconvenient, but I don't think it has to be direct from government pensions, just monthly from bank to bank is ok. Anyone, isn't that right? For sure if you can dig up 800,000 baht and put into a fixed account that's the simplest way.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 12:50 PM, happysoul said:

Hello, 

At what time people show up to get a 1 year extention (mariage) queue number? Is 7am ok or is it mayhem like it was before? Thanks in advance for your help. 

Hello,

Thanks to the people that answered me. Thought would leave a feedback of my visit at CM immigration.

So arrived at 7am. About 15 people in total were there. Imm. started to give out the numbers. I got in queue and 3 min after was in front of the imm officer. Said I was here for Non imm O mariage extension. She asked me were my wife was. I told her she was dropping the kid at school and was driving down (2h drive). She then refused to give me a number saying my wife should be here too. I waited the imm officer changed at the desk and tried again. Same answer, if your wife is not here we won't give you a number. Ok, well, only solution is to wait for my wife.

She arrives around 9.15. Parks on the opposite side of the road (that big white house, spa thing ?) for 20 bht. We finally get a number, we are number f 10. Note that each extension type get a different queue number (r for retirement, f for familly, etc). We wait 2 numbers for about 2 hours and it's number 5 turn. We decide to go eat at Central Airport. Was planing to come back at 2pm but getting bored at Central we get back at 1pm. Hopefully as we have time to sit down and our number is called.

Extension went smooth, just had to go back to Central to update book as it was from the day before. But the letter, that I had got the day before was ok, no need to have one from the same day. Or else used same map as every year, same copies as the previous years and some new pictures as every year (on the bed, in front of the house close shot to see the number and a wide one) printed on a4 normal paper.

And as every year, I make 3 sets of copies, 2 for immigration and one that I keep to see what I had done the year before for the next extension.

All in all was a nice day and we were out of immi at 2pm something and even got home in time to pick up the kid at school. Hope it stays like this for a long time.

Obtained Re-Entry today. Photocopy of the TM30 form(receipt) was required. New to me. Otherwise, whole process took about 15 minutes. Place was running smoothly if busy at 9:15. Retirements were moving pretty rapidly judging from Queue board.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

Obtained Re-Entry today. Photocopy of the TM30 form(receipt) was required. New to me. Otherwise, whole process took about 15 minutes. Place was running smoothly if busy at 9:15. Retirements were moving pretty rapidly judging from Queue board.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I believe the reason for the immigration queue running in a timely manner, has something to do with the western exodus to a less restrictive country.  Instead of questioning needing a photocopy of your TM form, maybe you should question why that along with 90 day reporting is mandatory for foreigners.

21 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Western exodus?  What! Your new novel title?

Keep up the delusion and please do, keep us informed.

Actually, if you were to rub those sleepy little eyes and wake up you would already be informed.  You are either a low cognitive westerner or you are a Thai practicing your English writing skills.  

It's no secret westerners are leaving Thailand for greener pastures.  For the westerners who are staying, they shouldn't be concerned with those leaving so I'm puzzled by your denial.  

Just carried out a 90 day report for self and wife at airport immigration office.

Spent a while photocopying passport pages as per guideline and update to my "retirement" bank account, (last extension after last 90 day report).

Arrive at office and go to enquiry desk for queue number. Wait 10 minutes and get called. Was told no need for photocopies any more or for bank book.

90 day report completed with no hassle and load of copy paper hits the bin!

Anyone know if this is an official change of procedure?

5 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Actually, if you were to rub those sleepy little eyes and wake up you would already be informed.  You are either a low cognitive westerner or you are a Thai practicing your English writing skills.  It's no secret westerners are leaving Thailand for greener pastures.  For the westerners who are staying, they shouldn't be concerned with those leaving so I'm puzzled by your denial.  

That was his point, Einstein, at least as I saw it. However, when I arrived 14 years ago CM Immigration was a sleepy little place, hardly busy, so definitely there has been an exodus, but with the recent tightening on visa requirements I don't doubt many old goats are leaving. Nevertheless, different strokes for different folks, I'll be sticking it out in Thailand with the sweetest little honey anywhere, plenty of green on this side. Keep in mind that you agreed not to insult other members when you signed up. By the way, you're leaving when, or I guess that isn't our concern?

Archived