Fornicating frogs - eradication advice needed.

Tofer

Moved onto our new property recently, excited to leave the old noisy neighbourhood and hooligan m/c racers behind.

BUT... come bedtime it soon becomes apparent that we've swapped one lot of noise for another. We designed our property for open air living and have ceiling fans to aid air movement on still evenings, happily dispensing with the unhealthy aircon.

So we settle down with doors wide open and ceiling fan gently whirring overhead, when all of a sudden the gentle natural and somewhat soothing croak of the odd frog here and there turns into a cacophony of screatching / fornicating frogs that inhabit our lake. 

I know we're never going to put paid to the muslims 'call to prayer' or the unsilenced long tail fishing boats that form an orderly parade along our seafront at 4.00am daily, but the frogs are incessant, carrying on all night long, to the point we have to close the doors to stand any chance of sleep at all.

Any suggestions to rid our property of frogs would be gratefully received.

And, no, we don't want to introduce a load of snakes to the property, none more than already exist.

Its part of nature,maybe you should have  chosen a high rise condo,

the frogs will only be calling and breeding in the rainy season,try and

be accommodating,.

Its surprising the number on people you get on here that cannot live

with nature, what to eradicate anything that moves,that dare enter

into their space,be it Gecko's,snakes,pigeons,assorted birds,etc,

regards worgeordie

2 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Nothing you can do but drain the pond and starve the frogs. Then you can sit in the silence of murder with your “open air” house.

yeah! pretty much the same feeling one gets if pouring petrol down a yabbie hole, and lighting it...

Call my neighbors (English). When a rain came and the frogs started they came and removed the frogs in the night from our very small pond (near their bedroom but not mine) without asking. Made me appreciate the American Revolution even more! And yes, those frogs can be very loud. Eventually we filled in the pond (only a garden feature) because the frogs were attracting snakes. Before that there were some large fish in the pond and no frogs.

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Its part of nature,maybe you should have  chosen a high rise condo,

the frogs will only be calling and breeding in the rainy season,try and

be accommodating,.

Its surprising the number on people you get on here that cannot live

with nature, what to eradicate anything that moves,that dare enter

into their space,be it Gecko's,snakes,pigeons,assorted birds,etc,

regards worgeordie

My eradication comment was a little tongue in cheek!

I don't want to eradicate anything that moves, I'm very tolerant of all nature, even snakes. We are very well aware that this comes with the territory of the land we bought to settle on, and relish the experience of living so close with nature. I even used to feed the geckos that joined me at the dinner table in our previous rental apt.

We have birds, flying insects and spiders in abundance, screeching sea hawks, bats, snakes, monitor lizards, thieving monkeys, all are welcome and / or tolerated.

We even have stray dogs that have taken up residence inside our buildings on site, but never have I considered poisoning them, even though our gardener offered to do it for us.

However, seeing as how one of our builders has a taste for frogs, he will be welcome to hunt them to extinction. As far as I'm concerned they are little better than pests, and if it's a toss up between getting rid of them or sleep deprivation' there's no contest.

Likewise, when I walk nearby ants, they do not survive to tell the tale, if they wish to bite me without provocation then they are fair game.

12 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

It's seasonal, next month you will love the neighbour kids new exhaust pipe again. 

There is no difference between sound and noise in Thai language. 

That's why we bought a seafront plot with the road well behind us, and geriatric neighbours.

However, it appears we've exchanged the somchai on a souped up sewing machine for a sea highway of long tail fishing boats....? We always knew this was present, and see it as part of the local culture to be enjoyed, just wish they didn't set off at 4.00am some mornings....

I'm sure we'll get used to it all. We'll have to, including the building noise from neighbouring properties for some years to come. But who are we to complain as we've already contributed to that disturbance.

I remember as a child living next to a major road with all the traffic heading to Manchester, before the M62 was built, the house even vibrated. We moved to a quiet residential area, and couldn't sleep for the silence for many a night before we got used to it.

9 minutes ago, islandguy said:

You should have the number for Samui Snake Resue handy. Some creatures are a little too dangerous (cobras) or too vulnerable (ones that can’t survive or animals that are eagerly hunted) and he will safely remove and relocate them. But not frogs.

Thankfully we have very few snakes, although not in respect of the frog problem...

Koh Lanta is a bit far for the Samui snake rescuers.

I should point out that before we moved onto our plot I used to rescue frogs from our wells and pits etc. and usher / carry them off to our lake. More fool me!

Lucky you, others would pay a fortune for that sound of nature – just look at the souvenir shops, selling wooden frogs with a stick, so you can imitate a similar sound yourself; now you don't even need to spend money buying that stuff – and looking at the bright side of life, frogs prefers clean water, so your lake water is of fine quality, and the frogs also take lots of otherwise irritating insects; you might regret if you get rid of your lovely frogs when the termites begin to fly...?

Often it's seasonal, and especially after rain you might be able to enjoy an amazing tropical concert – I wonder why you didn't check the land, and "noise", before designing an open dream house – there are normally two species, one of them is eatable (gourmet for Thais), so if it's this kind that inhabits your property, just invite some Thais to catch frogs for free; they'll gladly come after a downpour shower at night, and with torches and buckets remove your "noise" – you can invite them back when the termites invades your open house, "Mang Mao"-termites are also delicious..?

When it's season for crickets, you might be able to experience another concert, which can be very loud noise or sound (up to you), and high frequency for a change. Unfortunately I never took note of when these wonderful songs of nature appears, I just enjoy them. I should say, that during my first visit to Thailand I even recorded them – together with a water fall, a spring, and sea waves; unfortunately I didn't get any frog-concert, even it was on the list – and sold the master tapes to a record company that released them on tapes and CD's. They sold in numbers of thousands – busy folks in big cities buy that kind of mother natures touch to de-stress and relax – the royalties made me later able to enjoy the real-life frog-concert at a paradise island in the Golf of Siam...?

By the way, I had a friend, who was sure that the many-star resorts payed some Thais to stand with the wooden frogs and sticks in their garden at night, to make their hotel-guest happy when staying in an up-end, up priced tropical bungalow resort...?

If the frogs had their own version of Thaivisa they’d be complaining about humans building houses over their habitats. In fact, maybe that’s why they’re extra noisy – a form of revenge? ?

Jokes aside, I do love the sounds of nature but I have some sympathy. I was in Khao Sok staying near the jungle recently.  The early evening chorus had me spellbound, and I stood there recording the noises to share back home. But come night time, my wooden hut was under siege.  In the darkness I could never tell if the animal noises were coming from inside or outside my hut. I had quite a sleepless first night there!

Anyway, I hope you find a frog friendly and environmentally friendly way to overcome the issue (maybe earplugs?)

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Lucky you, others would pay a fortune for that sound of nature – just look at the souvenir shops, selling wooden frogs with a stick, so you can imitate a similar sound yourself; now you don't even need to spend money buying that stuff – and looking at the bright side of life, frogs prefers clean water, so your lake water is of fine quality, and the frogs also take lots of otherwise irritating insects; you might regret if you get rid of your lovely frogs when the termites begin to fly...?

Often it's seasonal, and especially after rain you might be able to enjoy an amazing tropical concert – I wonder why you didn't check the land, and "noise", before designing an open dream house – there are normally two species, one of them is eatable (gourmet for Thais), so if it's this kind that inhabits your property, just invite some Thais to catch frogs for free; they'll gladly come after a downpour shower at night, and with torches and buckets remove your "noise" – you can invite them back when the termites invades your open house, "Mang Mao"-termites are also delicious..?

When it's season for crickets, you might be able to experience another concert, which can be very loud noise or sound (up to you), and high frequency for a change. Unfortunately I never took note of when these wonderful songs of nature appears, I just enjoy them. I should say, that during my first visit to Thailand I even recorded them – together with a water fall, a spring, and sea waves; unfortunately I didn't get any frog-concert, even it was on the list – and sold the master tapes to a record company that released them on tapes and CD's. They sold in numbers of thousands – busy folks in big cities buy that kind of mother natures touch to de-stress and relax – the royalties made me later able to enjoy the real-life frog-concert at a paradise island in the Golf of Siam...?

By the way, I had a friend, who was sure that the many-star resorts payed some Thais to stand with the wooden frogs and sticks in their garden at night, to make their hotel-guest happy when staying in an up-end, up priced tropical bungalow resort...?

Fair comment. Maybe I've just not allowed enough time to get used to them, and my post was ill conceived due to sleep deprivation.

I also find their rendition quite pleasant, prior to bedtime! But I would certainly not run your CD's through the night...

Perhaps next time, if ever I buy a place again, I should camp overnight to check it out. ? Being an architect I designed on the, little adhered to, tropical principles of air movement and passive cooling for comfort, and completely forgot about the natural choruses in the tropics. I hold my hands up to that and have no excuse, having lived in a few tropical paradises in my time. However I would not want to live in an air conditioned container whatever the benefits.

It was meant to be our forever dream house, but it was built by Thais...... So watch this space!

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Fair comment. Maybe I've just not allowed enough time to get used to them, and my post was ill conceived due to sleep deprivation.

I also find their rendition quite pleasant, prior to bedtime! But I would certainly not run your CD's through the night...

Perhaps next time, if ever I buy a place again, I should camp overnight to check it out. ? Being an architect I designed on the, little adhered to, tropical principles of air movement and passive cooling for comfort, and completely forgot about the natural choruses in the tropics. I hold my hands up to that and have no excuse, having lived in a few tropical paradises in my time. However I would not want to live in an air conditioned container whatever the benefits.

It was meant to be our forever dream house, but it was built by Thais...... So watch this space!

Thanks for your reply – and by the way, I would never use that kind of CD's myself, I just recorded some of them...?

My first night at Samui, in a backpacker beachfront bungalow 17 years ago, I was awake half the night because of a mysterious deep repeating jungle sound – back then, parts of the now developed island, were still little rural atmosphere – not unpleasant, but loud, so loud that it was difficult to sleep. If it was not a mysterious jungle sound, it could probably be a buffalo – I had seen one "parked" in the coconut plantage behind the bungalow resort – only many years later I realized that this kind of sound comes from frogs. 

I also designed by own "dream house", however not being an architect, and having no experience, I spend a couple of years in the design phase, visiting my land, which is also by the beach, all times around the year – almost every day, and also sometimes at night – to learn about sun, shadow, wind, and whatever a totally novice in house designs needs to include in a design. The first years I rented a fan-only bungalow, so even I have aircons in my house, I can easily live without; especially when living by the beach with lots of fresh air. My house-design actually came out quite well, apart from an occasionally 4am long-tail boat concert, I didn't thought carefully enough about of constructing a sound trap for...?

Even without a lake, we can enjoy frogs, and crickets, and birds, and beach dogs hauling like wolves – touch of Dracula, so save scary cinema tickets – not to forget geckos, and occasionally the distant sound of a wannabe-motorbike at the Ring Road, and the monthly Black Moon Party at Koh Phangan. Oh, did I forget to mention sea waves? For the first almost year, my lovely girlfriend could hardly sleep because of the waves – even worse, because I preferred open doors at the seafront balcony – now she cannot sleep without the pleasant sound of waves, even a monsoon storm with heavy rain on top is no problem.

You should soon get used to the frogs, and all the other seasonal sounds that comes with a dream house on a paradise island, including some 4am long-tails; it's just like the 7-Eleven "Hello welcome" door-bell, after a short while the staff don't hear it..?

By the way, my house is also build by Thais, and in general an excellent job that I can only be satisfied with. If my dream house then would last for ever, I can only say when I reach "for ever" – the life-time for many things seem to be different here, compared to my Scandinavian home country – but so far the construction has survived well through nine monsoon seasons; and looking at the bright side of life, I don't fight with frozen water pipes during the winter...?

Thanks for your reply – and by the way, I would never use that kind of CD's myself, I just recorded some of them...[emoji6]

My first night at Samui, in a backpacker beachfront bungalow 17 years ago, I was awake half the night because of a mysterious deep repeating jungle sound – back then, parts of the now developed island, were still little rural atmosphere – not unpleasant, but loud, so loud that it was difficult to sleep. If it was not a mysterious jungle sound, it could probably be a buffalo – I had seen one "parked" in the coconut plantage behind the bungalow resort – only many years later I realized that this kind of sound comes from frogs. 

I also designed by own "dream house", however not being an architect, and having no experience, I spend a couple of years in the design phase, visiting my land, which is also by the beach, all times around the year – almost every day, and also sometimes at night – to learn about sun, shadow, wind, and whatever a totally novice in house designs needs to include in a design. The first years I rented a fan-only bungalow, so even I have aircons in my house, I can easily live without; especially when living by the beach with lots of fresh air. My house-design actually came out quite well, apart from an occasionally 4am long-tail boat concert, I didn't thought carefully enough about of constructing a sound trap for...[emoji43]

Even without a lake, we can enjoy frogs, and crickets, and birds, and beach dogs hauling like wolves – touch of Dracula, so save scary cinema tickets – not to forget geckos, and occasionally the distant sound of a wannabe-motorbike at the Ring Road, and the monthly Black Moon Party at Koh Phangan. Oh, did I forget to mention sea waves? For the first almost year, my lovely girlfriend could hardly sleep because of the waves – even worse, because I preferred open doors at the seafront balcony – now she cannot sleep without the pleasant sound of waves, even a monsoon storm with heavy rain on top is no problem.

You should soon get used to the frogs, and all the other seasonal sounds that comes with a dream house on a paradise island, including some 4am long-tails; it's just like the 7-Eleven "Hello welcome" door-bell, after a short while the staff don't hear it..[emoji6]

By the way, my house is also build by Thais, and in general an excellent job that I can only be satisfied with. If my dream house then would last for ever, I can only say when I reach "for ever" – the life-time for many things seem to be different here, compared to my Scandinavian home country – but so far the construction has survived well through nine monsoon seasons; and looking at the bright side of life, I don't fight with frozen water pipes during the winter...[emoji846]

We also have a neighbour with a big pond. And from time to time there is some noise from the frogs. But tis is also quite seasonal. At the moment we don't hear anything. Also after some rainy nights there are some other kind of frogs with some noise. And then, after longer and heavy rains there are the Ang Ungs, the very loud bullfrogs. But all this sounds are natural and are not all that bad. It is just white noise. You will get used to them.
We also sleep with open windows and sliding doors, protected by mosquito screens.
The most important thing is not to concentrate on the sounds and try not to get upset about them. Then suddenly you will be able to sleep very well.
The season for the cicadas (not crickets) here in Samui is from February to about May. There are different kinds of cicadas which produce their concerts at different times of the day or night. Normally they start at early dawn at around 6.30 am. After maybe one hour they stop again and around 10 or 11 am they start again. Then there is another session at around 1 or 2 pm. And so on. The last ones for the day start after sundown at about 6.40 pm but they last only about 10 to 15 minutes. As soon as it gets dark they stop very quickly. There are also some night sessions, but these are usually not very long.
The noise is a very loud, high pitched hissing sound, which may be quite disturbing for some people... But we like it[emoji16].
I wish you well with your animal sounds...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, khunPer said:

Thanks for your reply – and by the way, I would never use that kind of CD's myself, I just recorded some of them...?

I also designed by own "dream house", however not being an architect, and having no experience, I spend a couple of years in the design phase, visiting my land, which is also by the beach, all times around the year – almost every day, and also sometimes at night – to learn about sun, shadow, wind, and whatever a totally novice in house designs needs to include in a design. The first years I rented a fan-only bungalow, so even I have aircons in my house, I can easily live without; especially when living by the beach with lots of fresh air. My house-design actually came out quite well, apart from an occasionally 4am long-tail boat concert, I didn't thought carefully enough about of constructing a sound trap for...?

You should soon get used to the frogs, and all the other seasonal sounds that comes with a dream house on a paradise island, including some 4am long-tails; it's just like the 7-Eleven "Hello welcome" door-bell, after a short while the staff don't hear it..?

By the way, my house is also build by Thais, and in general an excellent job that I can only be satisfied with. If my dream house then would last for ever, I can only say when I reach "for ever" – the life-time for many things seem to be different here, compared to my Scandinavian home country – but so far the construction has survived well through nine monsoon seasons; and looking at the bright side of life, I don't fight with frozen water pipes during the winter...?

Happy to hear you are settled in your piece of paradise, and I applaud you for your dedication in the design phase, I'm sure you found it paid off significantly. But where did you go wrong when considering that awful 1.5hr ferry ride / queuing farce to get there?

If I'm being totally honest I don't have a single thing to complain about, but after all, I am A Brit! When we spotted our plot, it was literally the dream come true location, with the opportunity to design and build our own house for the first time in my life, coupled with a boat and our own boat ramp into the sea, how could I possibly be dissatisfied.

You are right and, I know for a fact, we will get used to all the sounds eventually and, as you have noted and I did in another post, you would just as much miss them when they are not there.

I'm certainly looking forward to all the works being finished and relaxing in our retirement haven.

What's more, we are blessed with very few mosquitoes, and have moved from living with burning coils and plug in odour emitters, a zapper on hand around every corner and 2 bouts of dengue fever to absolutely nothing in our new home. Hardly ever need a fan let alone an air con.

Happy days to come I'm sure!

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have the same where I live..
.but I rather like it.

Frogs are great. They eat mosquito larvae.

You will soon get used to the sound and be able to sleep through it just find. Your mind comes to know which sounds are normal and not a cause for concern.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks Sheryl. But if this sleep deprivation continues my mind won't know if it's coming or going.....?

If mosquitoes are the frogs diet, then for sure they are are very welcome.

Archived