PM Prayut confirms no lifting of ban on political activities

webfact

21 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

My wife was all praise for him following the coup and so we didn't discuss politics for a while for the sake of peace. And yet she referred to it as "our stupid government" the other day, so I do still have a little hope left that they are waking up.

I drove threw a village in the North East a couple of weeks back and everyone had a red shirt displayed on a stick outside their house. Not sure what was going on.

I think if the elections aren't held in Feb there is going to be trouble, and I think the Junta know it too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Prime Minister has confirmed that the ban on political activities won't be lifted just yet, in order to prevent probable disorder in the country. 

Translated:  "If we lift the ban, we may not be able to maintain power after the next election.  Democracy is a problem that will bring - "probable disorder" - therefore we need to maintain the status quo, i.e., post-coup military junta (order at the end of a gun) until such time as we feel we have the deck stacked in our favor (Thai Niyom money handouts and political campaigning disguised as keeping the fingers on the pulse of the nation) so that the next election will provide the illusion that we maintain power though a democratic ("probable disorder") process.  Remember, democracy is dangerous ("probably disorder") therefore we must maintain power at all cost (if elections don't turn out in our favor, then we'll be forced to implement another coup to restore our brand of "order.")

Caveat: I've got no dog in the fight and really don't care what form of government Thailand is ruled under - but, I'm not a fan of hypocrisy nor corruption ("I gave the dead guy back his 25 watches" - yeah, right) nor amorality.  This is difficult to watch with a straight face, but at the end of the day, it ain't my country - never will be.  Doesn't mean I don't watch while shaking my head in cynical disbelief. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Tuesday that the government is planning a special training program for provincial government officials and members of the public 90 days prior to the general election,

brainwashed-uk-youth-by-eu.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

What the chief clown fails to understand is the longer he keeps this up, the more people will realise how twisted, 1 sided his actions are, then rebel against him.

The sooner that happens the better for Thailand.

They realized that long ago. Even dummys in villages know his no good. He will not survive. What a liar his been. Even released murders to help him learn lol

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JAG said:

The last "sighting of guts" in this context was perhaps those spilled on the streets of Bangkok in May 2010, and included those of unarmed shelterers, and a clearly identified medic (nurse) in a central Bangkok temple. They were shot by soldiers, in cold blood, deliberately, from the parapets of the adjacent SkyTrain tracks. The echoes of that gunfire, eight years on, are still heard. The people who ordered that, who put down a deliberate and visible marker, are the people who seized power and now are running the country, the people who are refusing to allow political activity. The Thai people know that, and that is why they will not "display" guts.

I agree with much of what you say "Eligius" and often enjoy your posts, but really don't think you grasp the certainty that these people will kill, without compunction, to maintain their hegomoney. They have shown that, and the Thai people are absolutely aware of it. If really threatened, they would kill on a large scale. I think that would bring them crashing down, but no-one wants (completely understandably) to be in the front ranks of the protest.

I rarely discuss politics with Thais, family or friends. It has been noticeable that an increasing number are lately, "soto voce", pepepared to voice dissatisfaction, but I have been told several times " we do nothing, they will shoot you".

Almost all Thais know, and some will acknowledge if pressed, that activism or open opposition can lead to being " invited for a discussion". Once in their hands, although 'attitude adjustment" is it seems the current most probable process, again all are aware that indefinite detention or worse is a very real possibility, and there are no safeguards or recourse to legal protection - no "habeus corpus".

It's not a lack of guts.

Thank-you for a superbly written, though terribly chilling post, JAG. Although the potential hazards of opposing the junta, in almost any way, are as real as you say, do you discount - totally and 100% - the chances of Prayuth & Co being peacefully levered out of Government House? If you answer 'yes', I'll start my Cheapo-Air flight ticket engine right away, since the prospect of living here, with that small and very dangerously-minded twerp at the top of the midden absolutely turns my stomach.

56 minutes ago, connda said:

Translated:  "If we lift the ban, we may not be able to maintain power after the next election.  Democracy is a problem that will bring - "probable disorder" - therefore we need to maintain the status quo, i.e., post-coup military junta (order at the end of a gun) until such time as we feel we have the deck stacked in our favor (Thai Niyom money handouts and political campaigning disguised as keeping the fingers on the pulse of the nation) so that the next election will provide the illusion that we maintain power though a democratic ("probable disorder") process.  Remember, democracy is dangerous ("probably disorder") therefore we must maintain power at all cost (if elections don't turn out in our favor, then we'll be forced to implement another coup to restore our brand of "order.")

Caveat: I've got no dog in the fight and really don't care what form of government Thailand is ruled under - but, I'm not a fan of hypocrisy nor corruption ("I gave the dead guy back his 25 watches" - yeah, right) nor amorality.  This is difficult to watch with a straight face, but at the end of the day, it ain't my country - never will be.  Doesn't mean I don't watch while shaking my head in cynical disbelief. 

A stunningly good post, connda. It made me read - and think about - every word.

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

You speak as if peoples had not been confronted by tyrants in the past in history - and did not have the courage to rise up against them, yes, at the risk and sacrifice of their life, for the sake of their children and their children's children.

Some peoples are brave - others are not.

It sounds like you're one of the brave, Eligius. Question is, will there be enough braves. If Suvarnabhumi's still working, I'll give you a wave, as I take the north-west passage.

• Haha 1

HEY!!!!!!!!           

All the other countries in the world        'LISTEN UP'..............

LOOK what this country's government is doing..... SAD, don't you think????

Myanmar/Canbodia probably won't be bothered with it... LOL ....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

I don't think the Thai people are so stupid as not to be able to see this autocratic charlatan for what he is.

But they are not courageous heroes. Most of them lack GUTS. In my experience, it's as simple as that. They now have a seemingly decent alternative political party in Thanatorn's Future Forward - but when that great opportunity for real change and progress is now being throttled by the junta, the Thais say and do nothing.

NO GUTS.

as ive said before they are happy with their lot,  have scant regard for any laws,  life just goes on. and that is all down to the lack of education. which is why their is no education reform

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Thank-you for a superbly written, though terribly chilling post, JAG. Although the potential hazards of opposing the junta, in almost any way, are as real as you say, do you discount - totally and 100% - the chances of Prayuth & Co being peacefully levered out of Government House? If you answer 'yes', I'll start my Cheapo-Air flight ticket engine right away, since the prospect of living here, with that small and very dangerously-minded twerp at the top of the midden absolutely turns my stomach.

No I don't discount those chances, although I do think that they grow less likely as time goes by.

I suspect that when  the change comes, peaceful or violent, the military power of this regime will be exposed for the paper tiger it is. If violent I think the fighting will be confined to certain areas, notably Bangkok. The military concentrates it's usable troops there and nearby, and they are not particularly mobile. I also think that the fall (when it comes) will be quite quick.

Maybe not time to buy your cheapo ticket yet. For me, it's not an option.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JAG said:

The last "sighting of guts" in this context was perhaps those spilled on the streets of Bangkok in May 2010, and included those of unarmed shelterers, and a clearly identified medic (nurse) in a central Bangkok temple. They were shot by soldiers, in cold blood, deliberately, from the parapets of the adjacent SkyTrain tracks. The echoes of that gunfire, eight years on, are still heard. The people who ordered that, who put down a deliberate and visible marker, are the people who seized power and now are running the country, the people who are refusing to allow political activity. The Thai people know that, and that is why they will not "display" guts.

I agree with much of what you say "Eligius" and often enjoy your posts, but really don't think you grasp the certainty that these people will kill, without compunction, to maintain their hegomoney. They have shown that, and the Thai people are absolutely aware of it. If really threatened, they would kill on a large scale. I think that would bring them crashing down, but no-one wants (completely understandably) to be in the front ranks of the protest.

I rarely discuss politics with Thais, family or friends. It has been noticeable that an increasing number are lately, "soto voce", pepepared to voice dissatisfaction, but I have been told several times " we do nothing, they will shoot you".

Almost all Thais know, and some will acknowledge if pressed, that activism or open opposition can lead to being " invited for a discussion". Once in their hands, although 'attitude adjustment" is it seems the current most probable process, again all are aware that indefinite detention or worse is a very real possibility, and there are no safeguards or recourse to legal protection - no "habeus corpus".

It's not a lack of guts.

that is a sad story you tell, most countries do their best to control their people, but shooting them well thats a different matter altogether.

3 hours ago, akirasan said:

I drove threw a village in the North East a couple of weeks back and everyone had a red shirt displayed on a stick outside their house. Not sure what was going on.

I think if the elections aren't held in Feb there is going to be trouble, and I think the Junta know it too.

Don't get confused here as most Thais are superstitious and Issan people more so.  Whilst it is obvious to draw the conclusion you have already you may be wrong.  Superstition and the display of red shirt outside is that it stop ghosts from entering.  Absolutely part of their superstitious beliefs. My In-Laws do it for that reason

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

that is a sad story you tell, most countries do their best to control their people, but shooting them well thats a different matter altogether.

Unfortunately history shows us that that is exactly how the Thai Elite etc,  maintain their positions and have done so for many many decades.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yes, people have stood up to tyrants in the past, and no doubt will do so again, in the future. The Thais will probably, eventually, be amongst that number.

I've said before, drawing upon my very limited knowledge of chemistry, that the most violent and/or powerful of reactions, that lead to a change, often require a catalyst to start them. I don't know what that catalyst will be, or when it will come. I am pretty sure it will come.

I agree that the Thais are not a particularly brave or martial bunch, for all the medals, uniforms and posturing ( their military frankly couldn't fight sleep!). Apart from anything else they are not a particularly hard-working bunch, and being a martial power is quite hard work. I actually rather like many aspects of their laissez faire approach. It contributes to much of the charm living here, but I digress.

There will be a catalyst. This regime will eventually collapse in the face of opposition, peaceful or violent I don't know. I don't think that catalyst will be the urging of foreigners, (and I am one) however much they wish to see democracy here. Patience.

Great post, JAG.

Yes, I too see and admire (and indeed truly love) a number of outstanding qualities in the Thais - qualities which I often miss in the West. The Thais in general have virtues and qualities which really do enrich my life here and for which I respect and appreciate them. Courage, sadly, is not one of them.

You and I both love democracy and justice. So let us hope that one day - however it comes about - that democracy and justice return to the Thai people, who are - after all - the true sovereignty holders of this nation.

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1