Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

15 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Yes very much so as there is absolutely nothing racist about it.

OK don't pay any attention to me how about take a look below.

Australian newspaper reprints 'racist and sexist' Serena Williams cartoon on front page

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/11/jk-rowling-joins-criticism-australian-cartoonist-racist-sexist/

Australian author Benjamin Law compared headlines from American newspapers that "matter-of-factly" described Knight's cartoon as racist to coverage within his country.

"It isn't a subjective call," he said. "Embarrassing to see the Herald Sun doesn't realise defending Knight's cartoon supports the case swathes of Australian media is blind to its own racism

Local lawmaker Rohan Leppert wrote in response to that cartoon. "Utterly shameful."

While the US has deep racial divides and ongoing issues related to the legacy of slavery and post-Reconstruction discrimination, it is more diverse than Australia. Non-white people make up over 23% of the population, and 11% of members of Congress are people of color. The voices of non-white people are also more prominent in the US media than Australia's.

Still a problem, eh? When blacks can be caricatured the same as whites, we'll know we've reached a truly equitable society. Have some sympathy with these guys - blacks and homos suffered horribly. Talk about having a chip on your shoulder. People forget, what things were like 40 years ago. I remember, and I'm not gonna forget.

8 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

And so, on the basis of the dreadful actions of 2 men, you demonise an entire race of people: ""I think the Arabs want to shoot people "

Despicable.

You wrote, " And you have been approximately as hysterical about it as the Arab League was about the Danish cartoons of Mohammed"

I wrote Arabs want to shoot cartoonists in France like " On 7 January 2015 at about 11:30 local time, two brothers, Saïd and Chérif Kouachi, forced their way into the offices of the French satirical weekly newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris. Armed with rifles and other weapons, they killed 12 people and injured 11 others."

I think Murdoch will can the cartoonist and publisher to stop the anti racial backlash against Australia.  Just my opinion.  I could be wrong.  As more Australians get behind the racist cartoonist the pressure will increase. 

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I wrote Arabs want to shoot cartoonists in France like ....

No you didn't. You wrote: "I think the Arabs want to shoot people ".

That is a racist and Islamophobic comment that would be regarded as a hate crime in many jurisdictions.

Stop trying to weasel out of it.

• Like 1

the U.S publishing media, the tunnel visioned audience... they need to see how wide ranged the artistry of mark Knight goes:

no one is cariactured any worsed than any other public figure

he is pretty accurate in reflecting how the general aussie tongue in cheek character sees in what he draws

the is a gallery https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/latest-mark-knight-cartoons/image-gallery/3a75151fbab76180dfd2225950ca23da

even PMs Past nor Present, are not safe :clap2:

1d2ba0ee0291bdd463dd5a69a6651d38?width=1024

serving up a cariacture of Serena spitting her dummy, was an accurate cariacture of what the viewing public all saw on the television

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

That is a racist and Islamophobic comment that would be regarded as a hate crime in many jurisdictions.

You wrote, "What a horribly bigoted and racist comment." 

I wrote, "They shot people that drew that cartoon in France didn't they?  That I think is hysterical."

21 pages of views on the cartoon so far,

anybody keeping track funny/racist?

think we have reached a sorry state of misunderstood PC if we can't accept that drawing

I found it very funny, and sexist/racist perspectives didna dawn upon me, but maybe I drink too much and am daft

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

the U.S publishing media, the tunnel visioned audience... they need to see how wide ranged the artistry of mark Knight goes:

no one is cariactured any worsed than any other public figure

he is pretty accurate in reflecting how the general aussie tongue in cheek character sees in what he draws

the is a gallery https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/latest-mark-knight-cartoons/image-gallery/3a75151fbab76180dfd2225950ca23da

even PMs Past nor Present, are not safe :clap2:

serving up a cariacture of Serena spitting her dummy, was an accurate cariacture of what the viewing public all saw on the television

If your a racist living in 1930 American South it was an accurate caricature of what the viewing public saw. 

The media all over the world except Australia has reported it is a racist cartoon. 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You wrote, "What a horribly bigoted and racist comment." 

I wrote, "They shot people that drew that cartoon in France didn't they?  That I think is hysterical."

You also wrote: "I think the Arabs want to shoot people ".

It seems to me that you are a bigger racist by far than the cartoonist in the Australian newspaper.

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think Murdoch will can the cartoonist and publisher to stop the anti racial backlash against Australia.  Just my opinion.  I could be wrong.  As more Australians get behind the racist cartoonist the pressure will increase. 

Nonsense. You're turning this into a world-shaking event, like - say - Donald & Kimbo getting together in Singapore.

It certainly isn't world-shaking in Oz. Turn the page, yawn, now for the footy ...

• Like 1

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Hate to tell you but Arabs are not a race. 

Neither are Black Americans. Or white Americans, or any other member of H. sapiens!

(sigh) Like all discussions on any subject you can think of, the discussion soon (1) deteriorates into shouted abuse and (2) becomes an argument over the meanings of WORDS. And the meanings of words are arbitrary (there is no connection between the sound or letters and the meaning) and they evolve over time ... (like, for instance, the meaning of the word 'marriage').

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't care.  If you want to make racist characterizations of American black people in cartoons expect to be called a racist. 

There are artists that draw caricatures of people upon request (in return for payment)

Would you consider it to be "racist" if a Back American requested a caricature drawing  of himself ?

What about a non American African who requested a drawing of himself , would you consider that to be "racist" as well ?

20 minutes ago, tifino said:

He should do a whole series of the feminist-racist-whatever rage attacks, that'd be fun.

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There are artists that draw caricatures of people upon request (in return for payment)

Would you consider it to be "racist" if a Back American requested a caricature drawing  of himself ?

What about a non American African who requested a drawing of himself , would you consider that to be "racist" as well ?

Be serious.  The best selling Author in Britain said. 

eUt5_nXy_bigger.jpg

J.K. Rowling
 Well done on reducing one of the greatest sportswomen alive to racist and sexist tropes and turning a second great sportswoman into a faceless prop.

I think mark Knight is also a fan of Asterix and Obelix cartoon styles

and I don't find them 'off' either ?

Image result for asterix pirates

Uderzo and Goscinny would probably be drawn & quartered by the PC armies if they drew today. Loved them as a kid, I still got most of the series.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Be serious.  The best selling Author in Britain said.J.K. Rowling

Well done on reducing one of the greatest sportswomen alive to racist and sexist tropes and turning a second great sportswoman into a faceless prop.

I was asking for your opinion .

If I want to know what J.K.Rowling thinks, then I would ask her

22 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

My view of whole swathes of the Middle East over the last couple of Decades is war, strife, civil war, bombings invasion, counter invasions,  mass rape and enslavement and yes plenty of shooting.  They might not like it but they seem to be in a permanent state of febrile discontent and war.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

He should do a whole series of the feminist-racist-whatever rage attacks, that'd be fun.

well there's Roseanne Barr, would be a good subject to start with...

did you check out that Mark Knight's Gallery link I put up a few Posts back?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/latest-mark-knight-cartoons/image-gallery/3a75151fbab76180dfd2225950ca23da

Edited by tifino

did you check out that Mark Knight's Gallery link I put up a few Posts back?

Checking it now. Unfortunately I'm not very savvy with Oz's domestic politics, but looks like fun.

Makes me miss the yingluck & mamba cartoons.

Edited by DrTuner

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Will never happen, mark knight is a legend and his statue has now grown even higher after being attacked by yanks. Australia is right behind him and we have his back and snowflake Americans will never touch our icon.

and, outsiders wouldn't know; but Mark Knight filled Jeff Hooks' retiring boots... a pretty hard act to follow

Image result for jeff hook

Edited by tifino