Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

Just now, Spidey said:

No, you brought up the Guardian, several times. The Guardian and that silly, literally inept bitch, J.K. Rowling. These are the only two strings to your bow. Got nothing better?

No, that's it, he's done.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No, you brought up the Guardian, several times. The Guardian and that silly, literally inept bitch, J.K. Rowling. These are the only two strings to your bow. Got nothing better?

Tbh, i brought up the Guardian first, but i was clearly pointing out the readers comments, whose great majority don't see any racism in the cartoon, in fact in complete disagreement with the tone of the article.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I am not a Canadian and like I said the term is still used by the US government and me. 

But my point was that I know as much about Eskimos as Australians know about Blacks and that's not much. 

You appear to be hyper-sensitive to alleged racism against a black American, and utterly dismissive of  actual racism towards Canada's First Nations people.

Social Justice Warriors -- rigidly enforcing double standards wherever they go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You do love to generalise, All blacks are offended, you have interviewed them all I suppose? What a load of twaddle.

It’s been a huge response,” said Today show host Georgie Gardner. “Huge reaction which I think, in itself, is fascinating. The vitriol and the hatred that has been unfurled as a result.

Honestly, my mouth dropped open, because I do cover a lot of black news and a lot of it is hard to take, but when I saw this — a blatant caricature of one of the most celebrated athletes in the world — it was offensive, shocking and completely uncalled for,” she said.

Members of the African communities in Australia and African-Americans in the US have condemned a cartoon of Serena Williams by Mark Knight as "racist" and "sexist".

Global Opinions
What the Herald Sun’s Serena Williams cartoon reveals about Australia’s racial history

It just goes on and on.  That you don't see it amazes me. 

34 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Stop being offensive to blacks.  The cartoon was offensive.  Daughter of MLK " So unfortunate that this is your response; and without consideration for the painful historical context of such imagery and how it can support biases and racism today. Why wouldn’t a human being care about that?" 

The cartoonist didn't even know about the American Jim Crow cartoons saying, " no knowledge of those cartoons or that period” and he thought the said people were “making stuff up”.

Someone should provide a bit of education to these fellows. 

Should Black Americans be exempt from being caricatures  in cartoons the World over ?

• Like 1

Just now, RickBradford said:

You appear to be hyper-sensitive to alleged racism against a black American, and utterly dismissive of  actual racism towards Canada's First Nations people.

Social Justice Warriors -- rigidly enforcing double standards wherever they go.

If this thread was about Canada's first nations people I would comment.

Just now, marcusarelus said:

I don't care.  If you want to make racist characterizations of American black people in cartoons expect to be called a racist. 

It wasn't a racist characterisation and you have still given no reason as to why it should be considered as racist.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I don't know where you get off as the unappointed spokesman for the entire black race in the US, and also an expert on what Aussies know.

For American blacks I read the media and for the Aussies I read the cartoonist interview and his publisher.  My guess is that America will not let it drop and the cartoonist and publisher will both be fired.  Just a guess. 

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't care.  If you want to make racist characterizations of American black people in cartoons expect to be called a racist. 

What was racist about that cartoon in particular .

There was no connection between that cartoon and cartoons from 100 years ago , so, why was that particular cartoon racist .

I also didnt ask you whether you cared or not, I did ask you whether Black Americans should be exempt from being caricatures in Australian cartoons ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Exactly. That's all it is.

And you have been approximately as hysterical about it as the Arab League was about the Danish cartoons of Mohammed.....

It is racist.  I have not been hysterical at all.  There is a quote function feel free to use it.  I think the Arabs want to shoot people.  All I said is if you want to draw a racist cartoon expect black folk to call it a racist cartoon.  Does that sound hysterical to you?

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What was racist about that cartoon in particular .

There was no connection between that cartoon and cartoons from 100 years ago , so, why was that particular cartoon racist .

I also didnt ask you whether you cared or not, I did ask you whether Black Americans should be exempt from being caricatures in Australian cartoons ?

The connection between the cartoon today and the cartoons in the museum of memorabilia is they look the same.  That is why that cartoon was racist.  No I won't post racist pictures for you to ogle.   Go look if you have an interest.  I looked and many American blacks have looked and expressed that on TV and in the news media.  Google Jim Crow and Aussie cartoon.

30 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

For American blacks I read the media and for the Aussies I read the cartoonist interview and his publisher.  My guess is that America will not let it drop and the cartoonist and publisher will both be fired.  Just a guess. 

Will never happen, mark knight is a legend and his statue has now grown even higher after being attacked by yanks. Australia is right behind him and we have his back and snowflake Americans will never touch our icon.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It is racist.  I have not been hysterical at all.  There is a quote function feel free to use it.  I think the Arabs want to shoot people.  All I said is if you want to draw a racist cartoon expect black folk to call it a racist cartoon.  Does that sound hysterical to you?

Yes very much so as there is absolutely nothing racist about it.

Edited by Thechook

5 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

If you don't think that writing: "I think the Arabs want to shoot people " is not a bigoted and racist comment, then you are in a very small minority.

On 7 January 2015 at about 11:30 local time, two brothers, Saïd and Chérif Kouachi, forced their way into the offices of the French satirical weekly newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris. Armed with rifles and other weapons, they killed 12 people and injured 11 others.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

On 7 January 2015 at about 11:30 local time, two brothers, Saïd and Chérif Kouachi, forced their way into the offices of the French satirical weekly newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris. Armed with rifles and other weapons, they killed 12 people and injured 11 others.

And so, on the basis of the dreadful actions of 2 men, you demonise an entire race of people: ""I think the Arabs want to shoot people "

Despicable.

• Like 1