Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

On 9/14/2018 at 6:38 AM, simple1 said:

She was highlighting deaths and mistreatment of asylum seekers held Offshore by the Oz government with the phase usually reserved for members of the military "Lest We Forget" on a day allocated for the memory of military service people. She made an error of judgement, removed the comment and apologised the following day, yet was hounded for days by Oz PC politicians from the Right.

Some Australians  from the Right claim its within peoples rights to be offensive, but when not adhering to their PC POV, obviously not so - astounding hypocrisy. As my Thai wife can inform, anyone claiming racism is a minor issue in Australia is completely incorrect.

Yassmin is undoubtedly a talented young woman but she still has someway to go in her knowledge of Australians - she has repeatedly knocked the Australian way of life and wonders why, as she claims, to be 'one of the most hated' - 

"In a country like Australia, people are very happy to accept you as long as you toe the line," she said.

I personally do not see this as a true criticism - As a guest in a country I have some observations as how it can improve but I would not bank on lasting too long if I took up a public platform.

Fine young men from Australia during various conflicts have given much to secure this still admired country and denigrating someone's ancestors, although seemingly endemic, is not going to achieve much approbation.

The preciousness about PC is seized upon by many who oppose tolerance and real equality, victimization claims equally are in a large part an artifice, as evidenced daily in sport, politics, etc.

Haven't read the 25 pages of posts so this may have already been covered...………...cartoons like that of Serena Williams have been around for ages and they purposely exaggerate some features of the person, but they are still recognisable, and these cartoons are called caricatures.

Nothing sinister, just a form of art.

image.png.7c958533ad08bd913ed672b054c42866.pngimage.png.be0a22c2fc0512ebd836f6876a9064ff.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Capt Rob said:

Yassmin is undoubtedly a talented young woman but she still has someway to go in her knowledge of Australians - she has repeatedly knocked the Australian way of life and wonders why, as she claims, to be 'one of the most hated' - 

"In a country like Australia, people are very happy to accept you as long as you toe the line," she said.

I personally do not see this as a true criticism - As a guest in a country I have some observations as how it can improve but I would not bank on lasting too long if I took up a public platform.

Fine young men from Australia during various conflicts have given much to secure this still admired country and denigrating someone's ancestors, although seemingly endemic, is not going to achieve much approbation.

The preciousness about PC is seized upon by many who oppose tolerance and real equality, victimization claims equally are in a large part an artifice, as evidenced daily in sport, politics, etc.

She's an Australian citizen, not a 'guest'. Both of her parents are highly educated, one with a PhD from London, the other with multiple post grad degrees. Personally I do not recall her denigrating those who lost their lives / injured whilst serving in the Oz military. She was targetted for vilification by the hard Right, as the hard Right continue to do so with others as recently demonstrated by publically vilifying an eleven year old girl.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Haven't read the 25 pages of posts so this may have already been covered...………...cartoons like that of Serena Williams have been around for ages and they purposely exaggerate some features of the person, but they are still recognisable, and these cartoons are called caricatures.

Nothing sinister, just a form of art.

image.png.7c958533ad08bd913ed672b054c42866.pngimage.png.be0a22c2fc0512ebd836f6876a9064ff.png

It is a form of racist art.  There are museums dedicated to it in America.  Australia is on a different wavelength - see America in the 1930's.  If the land down under had an imported slave past and a civil war that killed half the population it might be more attuned to the issue.  It's not.  No big deal.  We (America) understands. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

It is a form of racist art.  There are museums dedicated to it in America.  Australia is on a different wavelength - see America in the 1930's.  If the land down under had an imported slave past and a civil war that killed half the population it might be more attuned to the issue.  It's not.  No big deal.  We (America) understands. 

Sorry to disappoint you but White supremacists and the KKK are alive and well and living in America......in greater numbers than anywhere else in the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Sorry to disappoint you but White supremacists and the KKK are alive and well and living in America......in greater numbers than anywhere else in the world.

wow!... inbreeding really does work?!

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

What does that have to do with racist art in Australia?  Yes there is racism in America and we know it.  Yes there is racism in Australia and you are unaware of it.  OK .  We understand. 

22 minutes ago, Spidey said:

As well as a disproportionate number of innocent blacks killed by trigger happy policeman who suffer no repercussions for the crime. marcusarelus seems to turn a blind eye to that. I know which is more offensive to blacks. Clean up your own backyard before complaining about Australia.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Only seen as racist by those who want to see racism in everything they view...………..

image.png.8a2f6fa57a0a523d92079ac2150fcacb.pngimage.png.7070ca033352d4a325ce30ad77cb3d13.png

For others who see past this, it is a form of mirthful art!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What does that have to do with racist art in Australia?  Yes there is racism in America and we know it.  Yes there is racism in Australia and you are unaware of it.  OK .  We understand. 

Racism exists everywhere, no one is disputing that, just not in this cartoon.  The above response by Ticino from the Herald Sun, sums it up beautifully.

Just now, mauGR1 said:

Perhaps we should admit that it was 'racist art' and that the Australian cartoonists are the scourge of the planet, so that marcusarelus can find some peace of mind.

Would have thought he had plenty to keep him busy and enraged at home in the good old USofA.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You claimed that Australia was more racist than America, You have certainly got that wrong.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

As well as a disproportionate number of innocent blacks killed by trigger happy policeman who suffer no repercussions for the crime. marcusarelus seems to turn a blind eye to that. I know which is more offensive to blacks. Clean up your own backyard before complaining about Australia.

No it's terrible.  What does that have to do with Australia.  Is it some kind of new requirement than one has to be problem free before criticism of others?  News to me.  Did Britain have to be without sin before criticism of Hitler?  14% of America's population is blacks with a slave family background who were persecuted far more than an equivalent number in Australia.  20,000 white men died in three days of battle trying to preserve slavery.  Nothing like that has ever happened in Australia.  And Australia does not have statues on State Capital lawns celebrating the men who tried to preserve slavery now does it?  It is quite a different backyard.  But that cartoon is still racist and Aussies have not a clue that it is.  That's a fact.  Should I apologize to you for America's shortcomings in race relations from the Civil War to now?  I somehow don't think you are the correct person to accept that apology. 

30 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Only seen as racist by those who want to see racism in everything they view...………..

image.png.8a2f6fa57a0a523d92079ac2150fcacb.pngimage.png.7070ca033352d4a325ce30ad77cb3d13.png

For others who see past this, it is a form of mirthful art!!

Check out Ferris State University there is a whole museum there of racist art for you to look at and it is not seen as mirthful art. 

average aussie Fred Nerks are more concerned with reverse-racism... for example 'they' are trying to remove historical white figures (such as John Batman) from our history books

Edited by tifino

Just now, marcusarelus said:

You are not telling the truth.  I never said that.  Take it back.  Or I will tell.

Oh so you admit that Americans are more racist than Australians.

Which is worse to be very racist and aware of it, or slightly racist and unaware of it.

BTW. I think that you are mistaking Aussie racism for Aussie irreverence. Everybody but EVERYBODY gets the sharp end of an Aussie's whit. I get called a Pommie pooftah on an hourly basis by my Aussie mates. And much much worse. It's just their way of telling me that they like me.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2018 at 9:34 AM, lovelomsak said:

A good racist analyst would probably call  Williams behavior racist. She could not stand to lose to an Asian and could not control her emotions.

I take it you are aware that Osaka is a US national as well?

13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Oh so you admit that Americans are more racist than Australians.

Which is worse to be very racist and aware of it, or slightly racist and unaware of it.

BTW. I think that you are mistaking Aussie racism for Aussie irreverence. Everybody but EVERYBODY gets the sharp end of an Aussie's whit. I get called a Pommie pooftah on an hourly basis by my Aussie mates. And much much worse. It's just their way of telling me that they like me.

All I said was that that cartoon is racist and the Australians don't know it.  I don't know how you measure the amount of racism in countries with drastically different minority populations and history.  And, no.  I'm not mistaking anything.  That cartoon is racist and you don't have a clue that it is.  That's a fact. 

I know.  I don't understand Thai people or Australians.  Ya right. 

5 minutes ago, tifino said:

sometimes the demarcation gets a bit blurred!

I reckon Mark K did a pretty close rendition of her...

Now we have racist cartoons and racist photos and you don't have a clue do you?  That is what has been my contention. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2