Junta accused of seeking to replace Democrat leader Abhisit with a “nominee”

webfact

Junta accused of seeking to replace Democrat leader Abhisit with a “nominee”

ThaiPBS

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37OqajHYpfTNPKdMZuV40l8p

If Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha is really serious about returning to power after the next elections, support from the Democrat Party would be very crucial.  And that’s why some of the senior members of the party suspect that elements of the ruling military junta may want to get rid of its leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and replacing him with someone more sympathetic to it.

Watchara Petthong, an outspoken former MP of the party, claimed yesterday that a plot is underway to undermine Abhisit’s leadership.   Abhisit, he said, is being seen by the junta as a stumbling block to Gen Prayut’s political ambition as he has made known his stand that he would not support the former’s quest for premiership outside the electoral process.

Watchara said the junta has already picked a nominee to contest against Abhisit in the Democrat Party’s leadership election.  Abhisit has floated the idea of organizing a primary for party members to choose their new leader ahead of the general elections.

Full story: http://www.thaipbsworld.com/junta-accused-of-seeking-to-replace-democrat-leader-abhisit-with-a-nominee/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-09-12

I am not sure that is really necessary. Abhisit and the Democrats have proved time and again they are ready and eager to bend over for the military, i suspect this time would be no different.

Its probable that many of those in the Dems know that through a coup is the only way they can get into power and long ago ceeded any real pretense of actual trying to win votes many years ago.

They have known and many of them complicit in formenting the coup, supporting it and no doubt will reap the benefits of jumping into bed with them the 1st chance they get despite all the denials.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

Abhisit was a nominee anyway in the first place by the people who control this country.  So a nominee being replaced by another nominee is purely a nominal ploy by the nominee government to have a nominal leader of the Democrat Party.

Well said...I think..:)

A friend who was a democrat Senator as well as in the current government told me after Yingluck won the last election that the party proposed to replace Abhisit as leader before the next election. Therefore it is wrong to accuse the Junta as a faction of the Democrat party already wishes to replace him as they feel that they cannot win with him as leader.

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I thought all the while that Ahbisit was a junta guy and most probably still is. Some song and dance about the intrigue of a junta nominee infiltration is just diversion of a known fact. Onus is for the Dem and Ahbisit to prove us wrong. 

He wasn't appointed this time around by the coup leaders, so he rebelled.  He did not favor the new constitution.   He said hurtful things about the little tinpot.   The only evidence his Eton/Oxford educations were not a total waste.  The green machine knows he cannot win a election, and he knows the army is inept and reckless. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

He wasn't appointed this time around by the coup leaders, so he rebelled.  He did not favor the new constitution.   He said hurtful things about the little tinpot.   The only evidence his Eton/Oxford educations were not a total waste.  The green machine knows he cannot win a election, and he knows the army is inept and reckless. 

I simply don't trust him to have the fortitude to stick to his principles. He is full of empty promises from stating that he was going after the military human rights abuses against the Rohingya boatpeople to twice boycotting elections to bowing to the military and forming the government. Time and time again he failed. As I said, onus on him to reform himself and showed that he now fully with the people and not the military. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I simply don't trust him to have the fortitude to stick to his principles. He is full of empty promises from stating that he was going after the military human rights abuses against the Rohingya boatpeople to twice boycotting elections to bowing to the military and forming the government. Time and time again he failed. As I said, onus on him to reform himself and showed that he now fully with the people and not the military. 

You don't trust him,  why is that , because really he is a Geordie ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I am not sure that is really necessary. Abhisit and the Democrats have proved time and again they are ready and eager to bend over for the military, i suspect this time would be no different.

Its probable that many of those in the Dems know that through a coup is the only way they can get into power and long ago ceeded any real pretense of actual trying to win votes many years ago.

They have known and many of them complicit in formenting the coup, supporting it and no doubt will reap the benefits of jumping into bed with them the 1st chance they get despite all the denials.

A bit of a Thai theatre actually, as Marky has always been aligned with the subliminal military rulers and traditional elite.

Yet, acts as if he might be offering something different and the Junta boys play it up as if the Democrats are a real opposition threat. 

Please...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Because he don't speak the Geordie dialect and accent. He is a fake Geordie and therefore in my expert unrelated opinion, he is a fake democrat. ?

Hadawayandshytebonnielad.

Yehavneeidieawhatyyouisonaboot.

TalkGoergiemyarse.

And then we breath and continue with more vitriolic comments (or just have another beer) and enjoy life.

• Like 1

Abhisit is an obstacle against the military candidate in the next election, unlike most other politicians he's got class and the right education and is incorruptible. He is the best hope for this country . It is really sad to see all the ignorant posts against him, they smack of class hatred. 

7 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Well we best believe you then because anyone on TV who claims their friend is a Democrat Senator must be telling the truth  ?

Steady on a bit. I am 'friendly' with members of Suthep's family who live round the corner from me. N̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ I'll drink their booze and tell them what they want to hear...

13 hours ago, BestB said:

Actually I believe even Democrats did not expect this lunacy when initially backing military.

None of the past dozen of coups and take overs came anywhere near as insane as current leader.

He managed to take it to whole new level and I deeply believe any previous supporters are now turned opponents 

That may be so, but i will bet you a dime to a  dollar that they will still jump into bed with them the 1st chance they get.