What tourists in Thailand need to know, according to an Aussie expat

webfact

What tourists in Thailand need to know, according to an Aussie expat

WHEN it comes to tourist behaviour in one of our favourite holiday spots, an Aussie expat who’s lived there for a decade has seen it all.

Lauren McMah

ea9138811b24df6d2963ef189a5efe23.jpg

Aussie teacher and dad-of-two Matthew Smith has lived in Thailand since 2007.Source:Supplied

TOURISTS don’t always have the best reputation in foreign countries.

As anti-tourist sentiment intensifies across Europe, and as travellers are blamed for ruining iconic sites and destinations, tourism is increasingly seen as a double-edged sword: great for the economy, but a lot for locals to put up with.

Schoolteacher Matthew Smith, 36, is an Aussie expat in Thailand, who moved there in 2007 after marrying his Thai wife. And over the past decade he’s gained some startling insights into what tourists got wrong in his adopted home, and what Thai people really think of the half a million Australians who visit each year.

Full story: https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/travellers-stories/what-tourists-in-thailand-need-to-know-according-to-an-aussie-expat/news-story/e5bc536dd83655672836dae426bc4f74

news_comau_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright News.com.au 2018-09-18

11 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Did you actually read the linked article ?? He doesn't come across as Mr Know it all...

His observations are just the normal things and probably just a warning to Aussies that have not been to Thailand before.

You should just relax and enjoy your life, no need to bash the guy for no reason !!

I can understand the OP as a natural reaction to someone that is greenhorns and wet behind the ear ' you didn't earned the rights to say what is what's' syndrome someone who seems to  knows it all and thus seems to disrespect the hierarchy and hegemony of senior members, in this case, Thailand's expats...

• Haha 2

wasn't a bad article though i suspect most aussies are aware of the jetski scams and respect of religious sites etc. ok you had the 2 gay guys bum pic recently but they were taking the piss and know they were being disrespectful but they got their bit of gay community fame i guess. where i think he does make good points is regards dealing with face and shouting etc and also just enjoying nights out here, that part i thought would be useful to his fellow aussies coming here.

*oh and constant reminders about getting in trouble on bikes is always a good thing IMO

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Did you actually read the linked article ?? He doesn't come across as Mr Know it all...

His observations are just the normal things and probably just a warning to Aussies that have not been to Thailand before.

You should just relax and enjoy your life, no need to bash the guy for no reason !!

actually its very helpful to see which TV members rush to bash even the most harmless posts.  i can then easily add

them to the list of people i hope i never meet.  ( hopefully they will wear a name tag with their proud TV moniker on it)

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

Troll posts removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Except for the piece about jet-skis, I would think this is little more than an advertising piece, written in the first person by a copy writer who has been well briefed by the Tourist Police. Important as much for what he doesn't mention, as does, and aimed squarely at moderating tourist behaviour - with little to say about life here other than 'trust me, I'm an expat'.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I know quite a few that have stayed in Thailand for years and still can`t speak even one word of Thai. 

I too have seen Farangs behaving in ways that are very embarrassing.

Seems you all know how to say 'farang'.

Can't get much more embarrassing than that.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2018 at 9:51 AM, cyberfarang said:

Not only western tourists, but also many western expats, that fail to adapt to the ways of Thailand and don`t want to. Judging by those that post on TV I  guess the majority of TV members are of the same attitudes. They have re-interpreted the word, Thainess, as a derogatory term for Thais, many describing Thais as Sonchais.

Here in Chiang Mai for example, in the centre of the city, I describe it as a Farang ghetto. These people rarely, if at all, interact with Thais. I have seen young western women and men in the middle of town dressed like they`re on a beach. They don`t stray far from their Farang style cafes, coffee shops and malls. I know quite a few that have stayed in Thailand for years and still can`t speak even one word of Thai. They also cannot shake off their western ways and attitudes. They believe the Thais should cross over into their worlds and not vice-versa. 

Like the Australian guy, I too have seen Farangs behaving in ways that are very embarrassing.

had a farang neighbor in chiang mai...

all he did was go to the same farang places day in and day out. the places were run by farang and were decorated in the home country style (uk). then he came home and sat in his bungalow with the air con on all night, often going out for wine of all things. ended up going back to france and the usa. not sure what he saw in thailand to his liking. from our conversations i'm going to assume he was here to take photo's for his collection as the main motivation. never went to the local corner market or walked around the hood, never got water from the water machine on the corner. a man can do what suits him, but it just seemed weird, like he was out of his element. a stranger in a strange land.

i also saw him stroking the pud one night through the patio windows when he failed to close them and i was out in the garden in the dark. he liked the ape look and was hairy, did not shave. a hairy dude.

facial hair is under appreciated in thailand.
strange that this guy is sporting a rug after being here 10 years.

Edited by Dick Crank

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:48 AM, BritManToo said:

Seems you all know how to say 'farang'.

Can't get much more embarrassing than that.

Nothing wrong with using the word Farang, contrary to what a minority of TV old farts constantly post, it's not pejorative. 

Personally, I prefer baxi da.