This just in: 12 plus 8 equals 4

webfact

4 minutes ago, Brigante7 said:

Each guy paid $10 each, then guy A recieved $5 back then guy B & C recieved $1 back, so guy A has paid $5 and guy B & C has paid $9 each so in total $23 has been paid. 

Brigante7

It's not an arithmetic question.

??

Edited by overherebc

15 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

When I was at school about 60 years ago it went something like this

' If it takes 3 men 6 days to walk a fortnight , how many apples are in a pound of grapes ? '

Impossible to do now as you cannot have a pound of grapes, it must be in kilos !

• Haha 1

Whilst it does appear the teacher has made an error in their marking and has come in for some criticism I do have an issue with this....

It only states one side of the story, if the mother wanted to know why the teacher marked the homework like this why didn't she ask the teacher to explain themselves instead of going on social media ?

Journalism is supposed to be fair and balanced, this story is one sided with no defense from the teacher.

If asked by the mother they might well have said OMG yes I was having a bad day and made a mistake.. sorry for that I'll correct it straight away... instead we get trial by social media once again !!!

Lets face it we've all made mistakes haven't we????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Impossible to do now as you cannot have a pound of grapes, it must be in kilos !

Or could be in numbers and sizes:

- I'd like 6 small grapes  please at 4 Baht each, and

- 4 big grapes please at 5 Baht each.

Can't put a total price because I don't have my calculator with me. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brigante7 said:

Each guy paid $10 each, then guy A recieved $5 back then guy B & C recieved $1 back, so guy A has paid $5 and guy B & C has paid $9 each so in total $23 has been paid. 

Brigante7

Wrong!  They each paid $10 for the room, they were given back $5. The way the $5 was divided between them, the room cost 2 guys $9 each and the guy that divided the money only $7.  Now try to figure out if the divider was Jewish, a Scot or a <deleted>. 

It is a new mathematical way some smart ass invented. It is being taught in western schools. My granddaughter had them in her homework. It puzzeled me until my Son and his wife explained it. 

How is this new way going to help them later on.  Imaging in the store you buy 2 items, one is $10 the other + $12, you get $22 out and the cashier says $6 please.

it works like this. $12 + $8 = $4. You take the plus sign as a minus $12 - $8 = $4. Or half the 8 last number.

i know, it is being fully taught in the UK education system.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Whilst it does appear the teacher has made an error in their marking and has come in for some criticism I do have an issue with this....

It only states one side of the story, if the mother wanted to know why the teacher marked the homework like this why didn't she ask the teacher to explain themselves instead of going on social media ?

Journalism is supposed to be fair and balanced, this story is one sided with no defense from the teacher.

If asked by the mother they might well have said OMG yes I was having a bad day and made a mistake.. sorry for that I'll correct it straight away... instead we get trial by social media once again !!!

Yes of course we have.

It's also true that in this country 99% of parents would never approach a teacher, let alone to suggest the teacher had made a mistake.

Why? Easy, concern that the teacher will hand out some form of punishment / retribution to the child because the parents caused the teacher to lose face.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

When I was at school about 60 years ago it went something like this

' If it takes 3 men 6 days to walk a fortnight , how many apples are in a pound of grapes ? '

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Not impossible because the answer is there are "no" apples in a pound or even a kilo of grapes. 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

How many times have you had any Thai admit to being incorrect about anything??

• Like 1

My wife bought some maths workbooks from a prestigious Udon Thani school for our daughter. One question was what is 16 - 6. My daughter answered 10. In the answers section it said 11. My wife checked the answer with me because how could a famous school get it wrong!

14 hours ago, rickudon said:

My wife bought some maths workbooks from a prestigious Udon Thani school for our daughter. One question was what is 16 - 6. My daughter answered 10. In the answers section it said 11. My wife checked the answer with me because how could a famous school get it wrong!

Just remembered , at our last house I found a book stuck in the back of a drawer , it was all about doing well at school , in English not in Thai.  There was a page on opposites , eg

Top - Bottom .   What would you think was the opposite to back ...........................no , the opposite to back was chest .     On reading this BACK .................opposite of bottom could be front toilet.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:47 PM, Grossman said:

Joy picks 12 mangoes, Joe picks 8 mangoes and 16 mangoes go to the government. That equals 4 mangoes picked by Joy and Joe.

I am a nerd and when ever I see 5 people leaving a bus, while 3 entering it, I know for sure that there are minus 2 people left.

Edited by IgboChief
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2018 at 6:00 PM, sanemax said:

I bought something for 45 Baht recently and handed over 100 Baht and he rang that up on the till 

I then noticed that I had a 50 Baht note , so, I took the 100 Baht back and gave him the 50 Baht.

He called the supervisor over to get the transaction cancelled on the till .

I took the 50 Baht back and gave him back the 100 Baht and he happily gave me 55 Baht change

Happens here every day, buddy. A few times.

I turned it into my daily amusement, paying a bill of lets say 985 THB with a note of 1000 THB and a 5 THB coin, asking for a 20 Baht note in return. It confuses the hell out of them. Only toppled, when they throw away the plastic back, after telling them that I would not need a plastic back.

Something went terribly wrong at this place. Horribly wrong.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, IgboChief said:

Pardon me for hijacking this thread, but this movie reminds me more on Trump's america than any other country I have seen.

You are not excused. This topic was about a teacher's incorrect math test answers, not politics.  You may be a nerd, but your observation of people getting off/on the bus and calculation of how many are now on the bus is wrong. There could not be "minus 2" people, because "minus 2" in Math is negative 2,  which is 0-2.  Grammatically there are now 2 fewer people on the bus after it had stopped.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:44 PM, HampiK said:

But in the text they write first person have 12.. second person give back 8.. so the teacher is correct. But he also should mark with red that the plus is incorrect.

12-8 is 4

That is not what is says in Thai or the English translation. Your reading must be as good as this teacher's math. Do you teach writing, by any chance? If not, you can apply for a job in Thailand!

• Like 1

It's like discount beer.  The more you drink the more you save.

But seriously:  since if the '+' was a '-' then the teachers answers would have been correct, it really makes me think about when you go into a shop and they use a calculator and they do something really convoluted to arrive at a number that is the correct digits but the wrong symbol, and if this is how they actually think the process through, then just throw away the symbol.  Negative profits...

I wonder what the teacher would have said the answer to "10 + 20" is.  +10?